Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My thermometer reads 88, thought it was off so I used the one for cooking and it said 87 so it's hot
    You made me check my home thermometer. It shows 83*... I need to find out where the official Goshen thermometer is and go see if it is that much cooler.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    BLTs and cantaloupe sound delicious
    I wasn't sure if they'd have tomatoes yet. They didn't when I went a couple of days ago. If I'd have known, I would have bought more bacon at the grocery this morning. I'll go back in the morning and get more. Need to check the salad mix in the fridge to see if it's still good.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never had much luck growing them. The bugs get into them so bad here.
    I've only grown them a couple of times. They take a lot of room. One thing that I found helped was to cut the bottom and top out of soup or vegetable cans and set the melons up on those to keep them up off the dirt as soon as they were big enough to sit on the cans.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I never much cared for cantaloupe, maybe because it's never ripe. So many of them spoil before they ripen. When it is ripe, it's good with vanilla ice cream.

I love watermelon. Went to a Chinese buffet the other day and the food was cold and no good, but they had great watermelon on the bar. I think I ate my body weight in watermelon.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, me too. Can't grow watermelon or cantaloupe. Trying pumpkins this year
    I remember talking Dad into planting pumpkins one year. The back 1/4 of our yard used to be all garden. I don't know what variety he planted but they got HUGE. Both the vines and the pumpkins. We had a couple that took a wheelbarrow to move. They were probably 100 lbs. or more. The vines even grew up into our pine trees and we had pumpkins growing up in the trees. That was the one and only time he planted them. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Howdy Snap. I like the big Indiana canteloupe. Especially if they're really ripe. So sweet and juicy. Love watermelon too, but they need to be ripe and sweet too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom