• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    When you OC no one will notice if you act calm and pleasant. Except kids.

I love it when kids say "Mommy he has a gun". If it seems appropriate I usually commend the parent for teaching their child to report that fact immediately to them. I then teach the child and the parent a shortened version of Eddie the Eagle. emphasizing don'touch it no matter where you are.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hell, I heard Guy Relford favoring CC on his show because of the possibility of being targeted if OCing.

<cbhausen sighs and rolls eyes>

At least we have the CC/OC choice here. Now, about that permission slip...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I always find it odd that if OC'rs are targeted for their weapons so much, like conventional wisdom states, that you can never find any meaningful statistics to back that theory up. That and the only time you hear about it is rare articles like the above, which may not even have been about OC. I get the same flack from my Dad, who is a retired IPD officer. I think his opinion is based off of training he had "back in the day" and doesn't necessarily reflect reality. People hear something like "open carrying can make you a target for a criminal who wants your weapon" or "in a robbery or similar situation, you'll be targeted and killed first because the criminals can see your gun" and they think, huh, that makes sense. My guess is there are certain circumstances where it's bad to OC and there are certain times when you may be targeted because of it. There's likely just as much, or more, possibility of being targeted because you choose to CC and therefore look unarmed and non-threatening. Life is risky. I don't think that open carrying makes me any more of a target than concealed carrying. IMO it makes me less of a target. I've read many interviews with criminals who stated they chose not to go after someone because they knew they had a weapon. I agree with the idea that criminals will more often go after the "easy target" than someone who is obviously armed, confident and aware of their surroundings. Where I can see OC getting someone targeted is if they choose to carry openly in places they shouldn't be in the first place, if they are not paying attention to their surroundings, or other such factors. Same could be said for concealed carriers as well. That's why I advocate JFC. I conceal sometimes and OC sometimes, it just depends on the day, what I'm wearing and the situation. I think as long as you're paying attention to your surroundings, stay out of areas you shouldn't be in if you can help it and act confident, that keeps you from being marked as an "easy target". Then if you do get targeted, it boils down to training and luck.

My :twocents:, for what it's worth... :)

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I always find it odd that if OC'rs are targeted for their weapons so much, like conventional wisdom states, that you can never find any meaningful statistics to back that theory up. That and the only time you hear about it is rare articles like the above, which may not even have been about OC. I get the same flack from my Dad, who is a retired IPD officer. I think his opinion is based off of training he had "back in the day" and doesn't necessarily reflect reality. People hear something like "open carrying can make you a target for a criminal who wants your weapon" or "in a robbery or similar situation, you'll be targeted and killed first because the criminals can see your gun" and they think, huh, that makes sense. My guess is there are certain circumstances where it's bad to OC and there are certain times when you may be targeted because of it. There's likely just as much, or more, possibility of being targeted because you choose to CC and therefore look unarmed and non-threatening. Life is risky. I don't think that open carrying makes me any more of a target than concealed carrying. IMO it makes me less of a target. I've read many interviews with criminals who stated they chose not to go after someone because they knew they had a weapon. I agree with the idea that criminals will more often go after the "easy target" than someone who is obviously armed, confident and aware of their surroundings. Where I can see OC getting someone targeted is if they choose to carry openly in places they shouldn't be in the first place, if they are not paying attention to their surroundings, or other such factors. Same could be said for concealed carriers as well. That's why I advocate JFC. I conceal sometimes and OC sometimes, it just depends on the day, what I'm wearing and the situation. I think as long as you're paying attention to your surroundings, stay out of areas you shouldn't be in if you can help it and act confident, that keeps you from being marked as an "easy target". Then if you do get targeted, it boils down to training and luck.

My :twocents:, for what it's worth... :)

THIS! I couldn't agree more!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    [video=youtube_share;Z7iq1r_bats]http://youtu.be/Z7iq1r_bats[/video]

The US Concealed Carry Association is against open carrying. Who woulda thunk it?

Apparently one unaware guy getting his gun snatched from a floppy holster is "proof" that OC makes you a target.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    [video=youtube_share;Z7iq1r_bats]http://youtu.be/Z7iq1r_bats[/video]

The US Concealed Carry Association is against open carrying. Who woulda thunk it?

Apparently one unaware guy getting his gun snatched from a floppy holster is "proof" that OC makes you a target.

And now, for the rest of the story:

Gun Stolen from Back Pocket at Phoenix McDonalds (with video link)

The victim was actually (wait for it...) carrying concealed. He had the pistol pocket-carried, without a holster, in his back pants pocket. His t-shirt rode up above the pocket, exposing the pistol.

So, in the words of Keven Michalowski (the douchenozzle narrating the video): this video is "irrefutable evidence that [concealed] carry does not work."

In reality, you could say that lack of situational awareness doesn't work, or that holster-less carry doesn't work, or that lack of retention doesn't work. But it has zero to do with concealed vs. open carry.

See also:

Suspect caught on camera swiping gun from man?s pocket (VIDEO)

Suspect caught on camera swiping gun from man?s pocket (VIDEO) | Alternative

Xander24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Vanderburgh County
    No matter how you carry (open or concealed) you have to be conditioned for situational awareness. A lot of people aren't, and that's when issues can happen. I carry in both manners, depending on where I am, and never had a issue

Top Bottom