• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    One of the great thing about Safariland holster is that you can change out the belt loops. If I wear a big heavy coat I use this belt loop. It drops the holster down 1.50 inches and kicks the top outward.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Okay ladies and gents. I think I'm going to start open carrying more in 2016. I very rarely do it now but it's just so much more comfortable and I get to dress in size appropriate clothing.

Just waiting on a belt to match my holster... because.. y'know... style.

WkEn90k.jpg

Besides, I love my Smith and it's too sexy to not show off. Gonna be even sexier once I get some wood grips from Turkey delivered.... ;)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Okay ladies and gents. I think I'm going to start open carrying more in 2016. I very rarely do it now but it's just so much more comfortable and I get to dress in size appropriate clothing.

Just waiting on a belt to match my holster... because.. y'know... style.

WkEn90k.jpg

Besides, I love my Smith and it's too sexy to not show off. Gonna be even sexier once I get some wood grips from Turkey delivered.... ;)

Very nice. Ah! Comfort.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This ought to fuel some discussion:

The Perils of Open Carry | Active Response Training

tl;dr: train force-on-force, learn retention skills, keep your head out of your ass, and don't carry in a ****ty holster.
    That's almost a two-year-old story. I've been open carrying for 15 years now and I have NOT experienced anything of what that bull**** article is talking about. What I have experience has all been positive or educational.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This ought to fuel some discussion:

The Perils of Open Carry | Active Response Training

tl;dr: train force-on-force, learn retention skills, keep your head out of your ass, and don't carry in a ****ty holster.

1) Open carry will cause hassles with other people and eventually the police.
    So can conceal carry. Conceal carry is not invisible carry.
    2) Criminals may not be deterred by openly carried guns.
    Criminals may not be deterred by concealed guns
    3) Getting your gun taken away is always possible!
    Not impossible with conceal carry either.
    4) Most people who carry guns have crappy holsters and no weapon retention skills.
    Still no different.

Finally
    Just because you can carry openly doesn’t mean you should.
    Same applies to conceal.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So can conceal carry. Conceal carry is not invisible carry.
    Criminals may not be deterred by concealed guns
    Not impossible with conceal carry either.
    4) Most people who carry guns have crappy holsters and no weapon retention skills.
    Still no different.

Finally
    Same applies to conceal.

I think that list is worded very poorly.

May lead to hassles with other people and possibly the police. There is no guarantee. I've carried off and on for over and year and the only interactions I've had with people have been positive.
    Key words there are may not. They definitely won't be deterred by a concealed carrier, unless it's sloppy CC and they can tell the person is carrying. Also, may not implies that some may be deterred. So you can't deter any criminals with proper CC, but you may deter some with OC. OC FTW!
    I agree with Actaeon277 that it's not impossible with conceal carry either. On top of that, training, retention and situational awareness can help minimize the odds this could occur. I've seen one or two examples of this happening. It would be nice to know what the actual stats are. There's a possibility that the extra time it would take accessing your gun from concealment would get you killed. In my mind, I'd rather have a chance of deterring criminals and have quicker access to my gun then to worry about a possible chance that someone will take my gun away, especially since I try to practice good situational awareness, etc.
    I think they put the word most there to try to convince people that the majority of open carriers have poor holsters with poor to no weapon retention skills. I honestly think that should be some people, not most people. As with anything, you have a mix of people who do it poorly and those who do it well. I think saying "most" there is exaggerating the issue.

Oops, forgot the last one:

Completely agree with Actaeon277: Same applies to concealed carry. Some people strap a gun on in a poor holster, or in a pocket without a holster, or in their waistband without thinking things through. This applies to OC as well as CC.

Last edited:

Bigguy5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Michigan City
    I CC but see more and more people open carry, I don't care either way, however with the amount of politically correct crybabies in todays world I think it just fuels their fire.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Dryer lint, fuzz sticks, candles, matches, flint, steel, magnesium, small dry sticks, dry leaves and grass, lighter knot, gasoline, kerosene, and my 1911A1 carried openly.

Try as hard as I might I can't get a bullet to spark and start a fire, like in the movies.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Don't know what it is about certain personality types that feel compelled to tell other people what to do. :dunno:

Read the title of this thread. Everybody Here IS right it is just a matter of time until you realize it,

JC

Top Bottom