• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have not encountered compound turbos in this context but I can tell you that they became the most hated feature on Caterpillar diesels, to the point that single turbo conversion kits and services became very commonplace.

Yeah I would probably discourage doing a compound setup. Gas engines are not Diesel engines. Talk to a turbo manufacturer about your setup and power goals and size a single or twin setup accordingly. A properly sized system will spool quickly and make all of the power that you want. I see no advantage to a compound setup. So if you’re just going for the “cool” factor then have it but there is no performance advantage.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah I would probably discourage doing a compound setup. Gas engines are not Diesel engines. Talk to a turbo manufacturer about your setup and power goals and size a single or twin setup accordingly. A properly sized system will spool quickly and make all of the power that you want. I see no advantage to a compound setup. So if you’re just going for the “cool” factor then have it but there is no performance advantage.
    The theory is that one turbo will produce at low rpms while basically passing through the high ram turbo and vice-versa. One of the problems aside from failure to live up to the hype is that if the first turbo in the sequence goes to chunks it destroys both of them therefore doubling the cost.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have not encountered compound turbos in this context but I can tell you that they became the most hated feature on Caterpillar diesels, to the point that single turbo conversion kits and services became very commonplace.
    I guess Detroit/Frieghtliner is doing this again with great success. They are able to run something like 60 mph at 900 rpm, with 80,000 pounds.

I'll see what I can find on it. Kevin Rutherford on SiriusXM was talking about it several months ago.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Rocky Mountain Race Week is wrapping up. 1320 Video had been doing a daily video on it. I wish I had time to watch them all. But from what I've seen, I think I want to make that a bucket list item.

Last edited:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Don't know why they would have been hated, other than the same reason people hated EFI on Mustangs and often reverted them back to carb - technology is confusing, sometimes scary, not always implemented properly, and not often immediately supported by the aftermarket. Therefore, it can be much easier to switch to something one knows and can easily adjust to their own liking.

I've built two compound turbo setups for my truck. It's wayyyy better than a medium size turbo or a big single. Far less lag - actually almost no lag because the secondary turbo is so small. And it just pulls and pulls and pulls on the top end. EGTs drop because it's able to light the turbo without smoking out a 5 lane highway, smoke decreases, mileage stays basically the same (22mpg, cruising at 75 in an 8500lb truck). It doesn't choke out on the top end like it does now with a single turbo. There's no "nose dive" because the turbo ran out of air. The little one finishes its job the after the big one has taken off.

There's no reason this won't work. Most V8 gas engines just don't *need* it. A properly sized turbo will typically get the job done.
    Well, I have two turbos, both cheap (one I had from a previous project), and when this works, it will still be cheaper than a brand new nice turbo that would have probably been fine on it's own.
    I'm going to play with it in a single form, just to see how it actually spools with the little turbo. Once I have that dialed in, I'll add the big-boy and tune the wastegate relationship. The only semi-difficult part is wastegate flow and ensuring that the gates open when necessary. Very excited to see this.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Rocky Mountain Race Week is wrapping up. 1320 Video had been doing a daily video on it. I wish I had time to watch them all. But from what I've seen, I think I want to make that a bucket list item.

I’m officially old! Drag racing wasn’t like that when I was into it,lol.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't know why they would have been hated, other than the same reason people hated EFI on Mustangs and often reverted them back to carb - technology is confusing, sometimes scary, not always implemented properly, and not often immediately supported by the aftermarket. Therefore, it can be much easier to switch to something one knows and can easily adjust to their own liking.

I've built two compound turbo setups for my truck. It's wayyyy better than a medium size turbo or a big single. Far less lag - actually almost no lag because the secondary turbo is so small. And it just pulls and pulls and pulls on the top end. EGTs drop because it's able to light the turbo without smoking out a 5 lane highway, smoke decreases, mileage stays basically the same (22mpg, cruising at 75 in an 8500lb truck). It doesn't choke out on the top end like it does now with a single turbo. There's no "nose dive" because the turbo ran out of air. The little one finishes its job the after the big one has taken off.

There's no reason this won't work. Most V8 gas engines just don't *need* it. A properly sized turbo will typically get the job done.
    Well, I have two turbos, both cheap (one I had from a previous project), and when this works, it will still be cheaper than a brand new nice turbo that would have probably been fine on it's own.
    I'm going to play with it in a single form, just to see how it actually spools with the little turbo. Once I have that dialed in, I'll add the big-boy and tune the wastegate relationship. The only semi-difficult part is wastegate flow and ensuring that the gates open when necessary. Very excited to see this.
    Now that I have been ruminating on this, part of the problem is that the Caterpillar factory setup was optimized for emissions and not performance, in addition to being more expensive to repair and more prone to need repair.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’m officially old! Drag racing wasn’t like that when I was into it,lol.
    This type of event has gotten much more popular in the last 10yrs or so. Certainly there are different classes of cars but basically they thrive on driving it to the track and either towing or hauling everything they need with the race car. Pretty much like a power tour or drag week type deal. I think a lot of it comes from billing these cars as street cars and thus they should be driven to the track.
    The debate over what a "street car" is has been going on for years.
    Plenty of cool factor involved and I certainly applaud those who do it and pull it off. But the whole idea of cruising down the highway in my race car a couple hundred miles just doesn't appeal to me. It's hot, loud and the seat just really isn't that comfortable plus it's loud would be annoyingly loud. Lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2nd nitrous plate kit? Those fit under a Dominator?

How much HP does that fella want the 64 to make?
    Well. How much you got.
    engine is just north of 500 at the crank in its current state.
    Both plates are Snipers. 150 max at 3.5 PSI fuel pressure at the Nozzle but I run a bit rich just cause.
    1st plate is on an RPM switch both power level and set point to be determined.
    2nd plate will probably be 75 HP and on a scramble button. Elective.
    so 700+ depending.
    engine has all the right parts.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This type of event has gotten much more popular in the last 10yrs or so. Certainly there are different classes of cars but basically they thrive on driving it to the track and either towing or hauling everything they need with the race car. Pretty much like a power tour or drag week type deal. I think a lot of it comes from billing these cars as street cars and thus they should be driven to the track.
    The debate over what a "street car" is has been going on for years.
    Plenty of cool factor involved and I certainly applaud those who do it and pull it off. But the whole idea of cruising down the highway in my race car a couple hundred miles just doesn't appeal to me. It's hot, loud and the seat just really isn't that comfortable plus it's loud would be annoyingly loud. Lol.
    I would probably need to look for nostalgia races if there is such a thing. :)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well. How much you got.
    engine is just north of 500 at the crank in its current state.
    Both plates are Snipers. 150 max at 3.5 PSI fuel pressure at the Nozzle but I run a bit rich just cause.
    1st plate is on an RPM switch both power level and set point to be determined.
    2nd plate will probably be 75 HP and on a scramble button. Elective.
    so 700+ depending.
    engine has all the right parts.
    How much do I have? Heck I thought you were buying me some go fast goodies lol

700+ could be fun when you get that thing done

Top Bottom