• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok fellas… I’m in the market for a cheap daily. I’m not sure what to look at. Fuel economy needs to be good, 20+. I’d like something older and easy for me to work on. I’m pretty put off by fwd vehicles because it’s not what I’m used to working on and just can’t stand it.

I’d love to be able to haul both my little girls in, but not sure I can. And if I can’t, no huge deal… Would be a plus. I love having a bed to throw junk in.

Im leaning towards an s10. 4 cyl, 5 speed, 2wd. Just simple and easy. Good fuel economy and cheap.

Budget is $2000 max. Anyone have any other ideas to look into? I’ve thought about a 91-93 caprice and the such. They get decent mpg for what they are.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ok fellas… I’m in the market for a cheap daily. I’m not sure what to look at. Fuel economy needs to be good, 20+. I’d like something older and easy for me to work on. I’m pretty put off by fwd vehicles because it’s not what I’m used to working on and just can’t stand it.

I’d love to be able to haul both my little girls in, but not sure I can. And if I can’t, no huge deal… Would be a plus. I love having a bed to throw junk in.

Im leaning towards an s10. 4 cyl, 5 speed, 2wd. Just simple and easy. Good fuel economy and cheap.

Budget is $2000 max. Anyone have any other ideas to look into? I’ve thought about a 91-93 caprice and the such. They get decent mpg for what they are.
    It's basically a Vette

1635453456329.png

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I’m going to look at a ‘93 s10 tomorrow. Reg cab, short bed, 2wd, 4 banger, automatic. Radio delete, manual steering, no ac. Doesn’t look too bad. I’m ok with a little rust. Just wanna bang around town in something older and fun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The market’s are all crazy right now. It’s hard to find anything worth driving for $2k. I trust you though. You’ve got a nose for finding good deals.
    I talked to a used car dealer yesterday when I looked at a Ranger for $4500. He said 18 months ago you could pick these up all day long for $2K.

He's not a very good salesman. I decided then and there, I'm waiting this economy out. I don't need a truck (or a utility trailer for that matter) right now.

I'll look again in the spring.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The market’s are all crazy right now. It’s hard to find anything worth driving for $2k. I trust you though. You’ve got a nose for finding good deals.
    I’ve had 50/50 luck the last couple years… The k1500 I’m driving now was a deal. I gave $1100 for it a year ago, it’s got 299,600 miles on it, but the engine and trans only have 50,000 on them. I put tires on it and did some hillbilly exhaust work. Ended up having to do a fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. But it’s a sweet reliable beater. It’s made me back what I’ve spent on it and then some by hauling scrap in since I’ve owned it!

The s10 I’m going to look at is priced at $1000 and only has 90,000 miles. It’s not horribly rusty, but does need some patch work. Which I’ve been looking for a daily beater that did so I could play with some of my skills at home. If this deal works out, I honestly wouldn’t mind painting the little truck and making it nice.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The 03 Vibe GT I bought last year for the MPG’s turned out to be a turd that I didn’t want to work on… I let it sit all winter because the heat didn’t work and I was pissed at myself for buying it like that. I drove it all summer this year and enjoyed the 6 speed, but cold weather is here and I decided to say screw it and dumped it today on a dealer. Lost a little money, but whatever. Lesson learned.

If you’re not winning, you’re learning.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve had 50/50 luck the last couple years… The k1500 I’m driving now was a deal. I gave $1100 for it a year ago, it’s got 299,600 miles on it, but the engine and trans only have 50,000 on them. I put tires on it and did some hillbilly exhaust work. Ended up having to do a fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. But it’s a sweet reliable beater. It’s made me back what I’ve spent on it and then some by hauling scrap in since I’ve owned it!

The s10 I’m going to look at is priced at $1000 and only has 90,000 miles. It’s not horribly rusty, but does need some patch work. Which I’ve been looking for a daily beater that did so I could play with some of my skills at home. If this deal works out, I honestly wouldn’t mind painting the little truck and making it nice.
    I was thinking the same thing if I could pick up a little truck. Practice for education and to gauge if I want to take on a squarebody redo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty crazy that the previous generation Z06 was a supercharged 6.2L making 650hp. Now it’s an N/A 5.5L making 670hp. Technology is nuts.
    The flat crank and valve train are the key here. I love a push rod engine as they have a sweet sound all their own. A full roller small block Chevy sporting good heads and ample compression has a level of mechanical mayhem as it climbs past 7000 that is a song I will never grow old. Literally scares the crap out of the uninitiated. But that design has reached its limits. There is still a bit here and there left in it but still long in the tooth. Like me I guess.
    The clean sheet of paper that brought this beast to life. Now that’s something.
    In the day watching Butch develop the qualifying engine for the Menards team was a serious eye opener. No he did not open a rule book. He had a blank check from John.
    That was the 1st flat crank I ever saw. Danny Crower ( yes that Danny Crower) helped with it. Titanium everything. Rods pins and bolts. The rod piston assembly were ridiculously lite. So was the crank. Unobtainium to mere mortals such as ourselves.
    If you had an ear you could hear the difference in the way they ran at the track.
    Qualify only package with a well tuned fuse length. 6 laps at full song was about it. Anything past that was free. The valve train was the weak link. I saw Butch push one to 11,000 on the dyno. Man when it popped it was catastrophic.
    Some of those parts/engines still race to this day. One set a record at Pikes Peak last year.

Top Bottom