• Status
    Not open for further replies.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I always wanted a set of Super Singles on my truck. Probably do a 4 or 6 inch lift, super singles front and rear. I think it'd be BA. I won't ever do that with this truck; maybe one in the future?

I got the driver side control arm on last night. Passenger side has to come off tonight. It's a rear lower control arm. I'm 99% positive that both bolts are seized up inside of the metal sleeves in the bushings. Going to have to get rough with it.
    Suggestions? Sawzall hasn't worked out too well in the past and it's too tight of space to get a cutting wheel up in there.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I bought one of these for exactly those kind of situations. They're supposed to be like magic.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-37316-2-Inch-Pneumatic-Breaker/dp/B008M23A6Y

Rolling resistance is a big thing. Using Michelins number system, every 10 points lower is a 10th of a MPG. So take the "Double Coin" tires with a rolling resistance of 160. (My numbers for example only but probably pretty close). Your long nose Pete is getting 5 mpg and you're doing 120,000 miles a year. That's 24,000 gallons of fuel. And let's say $3.00 per gallon. $72k in fuel.

Throw on a set of X Line with a rolling resistance of 100. 70 less the the Double Coin. That's 7 tenth a mpg. So now your mileage is 5.7. Now you're only using 21,052 gallons of fuel. That's 2,948 gallons less. That's $8,800 a year. Tires will go at least 2 years. That's $17k in savings.

So your $250 per cheap tire vs. the $500 for the Michelin. The $2,500 savings actually cost you $14,500.

If that's all accurate, it sounds like the sales guys weren't blowing smoke up my butt at least. They also claimed their steering tires were highly coveted because they would accept retread that magical 3rd time because the carcasses were so good.

Yeah when I was still working for Goodyear they were working on a high silicone content tire that greatly reduced rolling resistance. One of the hurdles that had to overcome at the time though was static discharge. Seems the high silicone content did a much greater job at insulating the vehicle than standard rubber based treads, as a result you'd get a pretty heavy zap when you'd grab a door handle or other metallic part of the vehicle.

Michelin had the same issue and had it solved at least 10 years ago (not sure when you were with Goodyear). I can't discuss details of the solution, but basically they just molded a grounding material into the tire to prevent that. It's also worth a mention that this totally dispels the myth of your tires being insulators if you ever drive over a power line or are in a lightning storm. Nope. They're intentionally designed to be conductive.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I bought one of these for exactly those kind of situations. They're supposed to be like magic.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-37316-2-Inch-Pneumatic-Breaker/dp/B008M23A6Y
    Wanna come by tonight and try it out? lol

Also, executive decision, the mufflers are coming off and I'm building a set of Boom tubes for giggles. Mostly because having the mufflers off will make the next few days of suspension work easier, but I also don't want to put them back on right now.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Wanna come by tonight and try it out? lol

Also, executive decision, the mufflers are coming off and I'm building a set of Boom tubes for giggles. Mostly because having the mufflers off will make the next few days of suspension work easier, but I also don't want to put them back on right now.

I'm currently procrastinating on working on my own junk as it is. I just went 12 rounds with the tractor, once again, but I this time I believe I got the job KO'd.

FWIW, if you want to come get it and try it out you can. You break it, you buy it. :cool:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If I read the description correct, he says it's only $2,750. Someone about marketplace not letting him fix the price???? :dunno:

Rare old 63 boxtop xl 390 car came from New Mexico almost rust free be a nice car to get running and drive way it is bill of sale only it’s 2.750 market place won’t let me put it in price so if y’all real u will see if not I will tell each person that ask

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Okay guys I need some help. I have a 2012 Silverado 4x4 that has become my hot rod and I think I'm wanting to get rid of the 3.42 gears and go with 3.73's.
    Who would you guys recommend for doing both dif's? I know it's gonna cost me but I can't do anything to physical right now so I don't mind paying for someone who knows what they are doing. Any idea where to go in the Indy area would be appreciated.
    Dan

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Okay guys I need some help. I have a 2012 Silverado 4x4 that has become my hot rod and I think I'm wanting to get rid of the 3.42 gears and go with 3.73's.
    Who would you guys recommend for doing both dif's? I know it's gonna cost me but I can't do anything to physical right now so I don't mind paying for someone who knows what they are doing. Any idea where to go in the Indy area would be appreciated.
    Dan

Two Lane Performance can take care of it but unless things have changed being a 4x4 you'll have to do both diffs. Like the old Doublemint commercial; double double your your fun fun!

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Yeah I ordered the kit for both diffs just wanted to find someone who knows what they are doing.
    Thanks guys I'll check them out.
    Dan

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They don't appear to have a website but here's their facebook thingy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Metal-Fabricator/Two-Lane-Performance-111819212186739/

They were highly recommended to me and I had them do some cage work and tub work on one of my projects and was very happy with them. They actually just had me leave the car the day I went by for an estimate, got started on it when they said they would, finished when they said they would and came in on the price agreed upon. Good people, good work and they definitely had some higher end stuff in there than what I dropped off yet they treated me just as well as I'm sure they treat the big dogs in the room at the time. I believe that Bill the owner also owns Automotion Performance.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They don't appear to have a website but here's their facebook thingy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Metal-Fabricator/Two-Lane-Performance-111819212186739/

They were highly recommended to me and I had them do some cage work and tub work on one of my projects and was very happy with them. They actually just had me leave the car the day I went by for an estimate, got started on it when they said they would, finished when they said they would and came in on the price agreed upon. Good people, good work and they definitely had some higher end stuff in there than what I dropped off yet they treated me just as well as I'm sure they treat the big dogs in the room at the time. I believe that Bill the owner also owns Automotion Performance.

Agreed very professional and they do top quality work.
    Yes Bill also owns Automotion. His son Austin works with him at their 2 Lane Performance shop.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bills fab shop was located in the same building as Automotion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom