femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    New shoes for the SS

wZkC0D9.jpg

Looking at those tires kind of reminds me how much things have changed over the years. One 66 mustang I had back in the day had 265/50/14's all the way around I believe on 10" wide wheels and everybody thought they were HUGE! They did look good under the flares I had on the car at the time though. Nowadays a 265 tire isn't that big of a deal, Hell the 4 door 540i I had wore 265's IIRC, STOCK. All in all not bad times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Outta my league!

Yeah it sure is.

When you cobble something together with used parts you may initially save money but over time it can turn bad. Not always but often enough. And this is why I stay away from bone yard parts. Unless it is to fix something quick and cheap and move the vehicle.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Looking at those tires kind of reminds me how much things have changed over the years. One 66 mustang I had back in the day had 265/50/14's all the way around I believe on 10" wide wheels and everybody thought they were HUGE! They did look good under the flares I had on the car at the time though. Nowadays a 265 tire isn't that big of a deal, Hell the 4 door 540i I had wore 265's IIRC, STOCK. All in all not bad times.

Yeah these aren’t monster meats. 275/40/17’s all the way around.

The tires that are on the car now actually have pretty good tread, just too much dry rot for my comfort level.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah it sure is.

When you cobble something together with used parts you may initially save money but over time it can turn bad. Not always but often enough. And this is why I stay away from bone yard parts. Unless it is to fix something quick and cheap and move the vehicle.
    So, a power brake booster for this truck was north of $100 and a couple days out before I could get one, unless I wanted to pay north of $200, which I certainly did not. Brothers had one for like $80 or $90 and I got it next day when I walked in.
    ABS unit.... um. Yeah. I paid less than $100 for it and got it in a day, again from Brothers. Now, I'm looking for those online and if I buy a used one off Ebay it's not bad, but still used. Brand new? I'm actually having a tough time finding one. And the few listings I see are north of $400.

I'm taking the old one apart to see if I can tell that it for sure was broken. If I can fix it, then I will, and if the issue persists I can swap it out again. It's after that point where I'm lost.
    Already out a set of brand new brakes that got smoked a week after I put them on. I've swapped calipers a couple times. I really hope this does the trick. Also going to end up going through a BUNCH of brake fluid tonight cause I'm re-flushing the system. The last "flush" I did apparently wasn't very good because the fluid in the line at the ABS pump and right rear wheel was disgusting.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, a power brake booster for this truck was north of $100 and a couple days out before I could get one, unless I wanted to pay north of $200, which I certainly did not. Brothers had one for like $80 or $90 and I got it next day when I walked in.
    ABS unit.... um. Yeah. I paid less than $100 for it and got it in a day, again from Brothers. Now, I'm looking for those online and if I buy a used one off Ebay it's not bad, but still used. Brand new? I'm actually having a tough time finding one. And the few listings I see are north of $400.

I'm taking the old one apart to see if I can tell that it for sure was broken. If I can fix it, then I will, and if the issue persists I can swap it out again. It's after that point where I'm lost.
    Already out a set of brand new brakes that got smoked a week after I put them on. I've swapped calipers a couple times. I really hope this does the trick. Also going to end up going through a BUNCH of brake fluid tonight cause I'm re-flushing the system. The last "flush" I did apparently wasn't very good because the fluid in the line at the ABS pump and right rear wheel was disgusting.

Not a knock on you at all. Your energy involved puts me to shame. It is sometimes the dog chasing its own tail. I have lived it.
    There was a time in my life I wanted to "Fix" everything. Not replace it with new. I was a pro at scouring a bone yard. Good friends own one here in Speedway and I had "Wrecks" Inc to wonder through as a much younger man. And I did wonder those places. I could tell you what was there, had been there, and what just got there if it had a Bow Tie attached.
    But after a while travel, wonder, pick part, travel, fit part, try part, part does not work, travel, return or find another...……..Nope. Major stuff and things like interior parts, door handles and mirrors. A door or hood heck yes I was down with that stuff but nothing brake related.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Not a knock on you at all. Your energy involved puts me to shame. It is sometimes the dog chasing its own tail. I have lived it.
    There was a time in my life I wanted to "Fix" everything. Not replace it with new. I was a pro at scouring a bone yard. Good friends own one here in Speedway and I had "Wrecks" Inc to wonder through as a much younger man. And I did wonder those places. I could tell you what was there, had been there, and what just got there if it had a Bow Tie attached.
    But after a while travel, wonder, pick part, travel, fit part, try part, part does not work, travel, return or find another...……..Nope. Major stuff and things like interior parts, door handles and mirrors. A door or hood heck yes I was down with that stuff but nothing brake related.
    It's not really practical for me to throw several hundred at a time at this truck. The hydroboost broke for other reasons. This caliper locking up has been going on for at least a year. I have chased it with new/reman calipers and new hoses and finally talked with someone who suggested replacing the ABS unit. Said that the valves might not be opening.

I've also heard someone say that their batteries were failing and causing the ABS to do weird stuff. I know that my batteries are on the way out the door, but it still starts right up even after sitting for several weeks so I'm not sure if it's them or not. Only time I've had issues with the batteries was when it was really cold out.

Idk. Just not sure what to look into if this doesn't fix it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's not really practical for me to throw several hundred at a time at this truck. The hydroboost broke for other reasons. This caliper locking up has been going on for at least a year. I have chased it with new/reman calipers and new hoses and finally talked with someone who suggested replacing the ABS unit. Said that the valves might not be opening.

I've also heard someone say that their batteries were failing and causing the ABS to do weird stuff. I know that my batteries are on the way out the door, but it still starts right up even after sitting for several weeks so I'm not sure if it's them or not. Only time I've had issues with the batteries was when it was really cold out.

Idk. Just not sure what to look into if this doesn't fix it.

I will admit to a complete lack of trouble shoot ability with ABS systems. Is yours throwing a code. Can it be read from a scanner...???

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    On your caliper lock up, with all of your parts changing is it possible that the pushrod from the pedal, thru the booster and into the master cylinder too long? I've seen it happen in the past where even released the pedal was applying minimal pressure to the MC because the pushrod was misadjusted or just too long.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On your caliper lock up, with all of your parts changing is it possible that the pushrod from the pedal, thru the booster and into the master cylinder too long? I've seen it happen in the past where even released the pedal was applying minimal pressure to the MC because the pushrod was misadjusted or just too long.

That would effect all 4 of them.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    No codes on the truck for ABS, except an old code from 3 years ago when the driver side front ABS line was cut, but I replaced that before I ever drove the thing.

Tested the new ABS pump/module thing last night and it's working. Ran about a quart of brake fluid through the system and took it for a test drive. Both test drives seem OK. Last time I did a brake hose on the caliper that I was mainly having issues with, it took over a week for the issue to come back. I'll just have to watch it for now.

Also, with the parts changing, I'm fairly certain the parts stayed consistent. When I swapped out the hydroboost assembly a few months ago, I checked rod length and everything and it all matched up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No codes on the truck for ABS, except an old code from 3 years ago when the driver side front ABS line was cut, but I replaced that before I ever drove the thing.

Tested the new ABS pump/module thing last night and it's working. Ran about a quart of brake fluid through the system and took it for a test drive. Both test drives seem OK. Last time I did a brake hose on the caliper that I was mainly having issues with, it took over a week for the issue to come back. I'll just have to watch it for now.

Also, with the parts changing, I'm fairly certain the parts stayed consistent. When I swapped out the hydroboost assembly a few months ago, I checked rod length and everything and it all matched up.

This will be interesting to watch.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    This will be interesting to watch.
    It's gonna be like watching paint dry and I'm going to assume every little thing is the breaks locking up on me. Probably take 2+ weeks before I stop being paranoid about it.

Once the Mustang is back up and running with all the new parts, the turbos are coming off, the front end is coming apart, and I'm taking the time to fix things that I've wanted to fix for a couple years now. I might even go down to a single turbo setup on this truck. Haven't fully decided.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

My truck rides on 445/50's.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

:thumbsup:

I hate asking obvious questions but sometimes I find when I've been banging my head against a wall on a problem my vision starts getting blurry.:n00b:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My truck rides on 445/50's.

It's not the size that matters if the worm isn't fishing or something like that!:laugh:

On a somewhat serious note, what is the advantage of the wide single tire vs the dual old school tires? Cool factor notwithstanding, I'm sure there is something that actually validates the choice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Well folks it finally happened, I got a good stable job. Things have been going well, And grandma finally let me inherit grandpas old gto.
    the family heirloom is in my garage where it will live until my children are old enough to inherit it from me.
    All original 65 ,power top, 4 speed, 389 v8. What a day
    M3xAHad.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well folks it finally happened, I got a good stable job. Things have been going well, And grandma finally let me inherit grandpas old gto.
    the family heirloom is in my garage where it will live until my children are old enough to inherit it from me.
    All original 65 ,power top, 4 speed, 389 v8. What a day
    M3xAHad.jpg

Is the a drop top...????

65 is my absolute favorite year hands down.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom