• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finding the path, and then being the best you can be. Both keys to happiness and success in your work life. Unlike the slugs CKW encountered at McD's. I suspect they are not where they want to be, and are profoundly unhappy. And it shows.

When I was a high school kid in the 70's at Haag Drug working for $2.35/hour, I showed up when I was supposed to and did a good job while I was there. Ended up getting a raise and a minor promotion before school obligations (college and ROTC) got in the way. Not the best job in the world, but it helped get me to where I am today.

I worked at a KFC when I was a sophomore. Paid my insurance and gas. I worked for my uncle the rest of my free time carrying his tools learning refrigeration. I diod that until his heart gave out my Senior year in High school. Krogers became a full time job for me then.

I have to admit, Had I known then what I know now I would have went to work full time my junior year and left the school thing behind. I have never once been asked to produce a diploma. I have no idea where it even is and do not care. Working with my mind and my hands required no more from the system.

The terrorists love school. They miss it. We support this fully and are home schooling them right now. Packets from the idiots at IPS and everything we can fins and down load from the internet. We will embrace this with them Something my parents never did.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    CKW is not to be trifled with or treated badly.
    CKW (spouse) was treated terribly at the McD's on 38th and Laff. rd. The entire staff was full of "Dontgivea****itis" and were not shy to let them know.

This was a special take the terrorists for a ride and a happy meal. These nasty *****es ruined it for them. From the accounts I got the bag went back in the window at max achievable velocity as she drove off.
    When she got home a series of phone calls and emails were made. I am sure those asshats were head on a swivel when they left for home. Man she was pissed off.

She would not allow me to go over there.

$15 an hour my ass.

The one in front of the old We be Toys ‘n ****? There’s your problem right there. The one at 38th and 465 is no better though. You have to go to Avon or Brownsburg to have a chance for a decent McDonald’s experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The one in front of the old We be Toys ‘n ****? There’s your problem right there. The one at 38th and 465 is no better though. You have to go to Avon or Brownsburg to have a chance for a decent McDonald’s experience.

Yeah it used to be staffed by a group of Hispanics that actually had a solid plan and work ethics. The drive through would move right along.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Finding the path, and then being the best you can be. Both keys to happiness and success in your work life. Unlike the slugs CKW encountered at McD's. I suspect they are not where they want to be, and are profoundly unhappy. And it shows.

When I was a high school kid in the 70's at Haag Drug working for $2.35/hour, I showed up when I was supposed to and did a good job while I was there. Ended up getting a raise and a minor promotion before school obligations (college and ROTC) got in the way. Not the best job in the world, but it helped get me to where I am today.

Haag Drugs, now that's a name I've not heard in 40 years. My late uncle used to run out of their Indy warehouse delivering stores in west Central Indiana and East Central Illinois then was in charge of their transportation maintenance until CVS bought them out.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Haag Drugs, now that's a name I've not heard in 40 years. My late uncle used to run out of their Indy warehouse delivering stores in west Central Indiana and East Central Illinois then was in charge of their transportation maintenance until CVS bought them out.

The manager at the 38th and Shadeland store actually wanted me to drop out of college and enter their management trainee program. Considering what happened to the chain, I'm glad I said, "no, thank you."

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The Sears in Fort Wayne closed last year and they tore the building down within a couple months. It was a huge store with a very large automotive center.

I'm actually kind of sad to hear that, but not surprised. I'm sitting here right now looking at 25 years of tool collecting that came specifically out of that store. That said, my last visit (apparently ever) to that Sears was an extremely negative experience trying to get some stuff warrantied. I knew right then that Sears, and Craftsman, was dead to me. That was just over 2 years ago.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm actually kind of sad to hear that, but not surprised. I'm sitting here right now looking at 25 years of tool collecting that came specifically out of that store. That said, my last visit (apparently ever) to that Sears was an extremely negative experience trying to get some stuff warrantied. I knew right then that Sears, and Craftsman, was dead to me. That was just over 2 years ago.

It has been longer than two years, but that was also my experience at my last visit to a Sears. The Greenwood Park Mall store was run down, and they had sharply downsized their tool section. I thought then they were not long for this world.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, it is sad. I have tons of Craftsman tools, but my last one was probably purchased before 2010.

The most useful tool for my just-finished stair project was a 1968 Craftsman radial arm saw constructed mainly of cast iron. It was my Dad's. Wonderfully smooth. I was cutting 1"+ oak and the blade heating up after about 10 cuts was the only limitation. They used to make some great stuff.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Yeah, it is sad. I have tons of Craftsman tools, but my last one was probably purchased before 2010.

The most useful tool for my just-finished stair project was a 1968 Craftsman radial arm saw constructed mainly of cast iron. It was my Dad's. Wonderfully smooth. I was cutting 1"+ oak and the blade heating up after about 10 cuts was the only limitation. They used to make some great stuff.

My dad did a lot of woodworking when he was alive. All he ever used was Craftsman. Back when their stuff was seriously heavy duty and would last a lifetime. Still kicking myself for not keeping all the stuff he had(bandsaw, radial, arm saw, routers, drill press, etc) after he passed, but at the time I was only 20 (25 years ago) going to trade school, and had nowhere to store it all

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My dad did a lot of woodworking when he was alive. All he ever used was Craftsman. Back when their stuff was seriously heavy duty and would last a lifetime. Still kicking myself for not keeping all the stuff he had(bandsaw, radial, arm saw, routers, drill press, etc) after he passed, but at the time I was only 20 (25 years ago) going to trade school, and had nowhere to store it all

I have the radial arm saw and bandsaw, both craftsman, that my Dad had. Those and ton of hand tools.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

It is sad and unfortunate that Sears made decisions about quality years ago that contributed to their eventual demise.

I don't see how the remnants of the company survive the current economic crisis.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It is sad and unfortunate that Sears made decisions about quality years ago that contributed to their eventual demise.

I don't see how the remnants of the company survive the current economic crisis.

Agreed. They were teetering on the edge during one of the greatest economic booms in history...now this.

A friend of mine used to work in the Sears legal department in the home office in Hoffman Estates. His entire division was shut down years ago when Sears was cutting to survive. Things never really improved after that.

K-Mart could have been a Wal-Mart or Meijer contender, but they never invested to make it more than a dirtier, poorly lit last choice.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Agreed. They were teetering on the edge during one of the greatest economic booms in history...now this.

A friend of mine used to work in the Sears legal department in the home office in Hoffman Estates. His entire division was shut down years ago when Sears was cutting to survive. Things never really improved after that.

K-Mart could have been a Wal-Mart or Meijer contender, but they never invested to make it more than a dirtier, poorly lit last choice.

I remember when about all we had was K-Mart as far as that type of store was concerned. There was no Walmart here yet. The first Walmart I ever saw was in northeastern TN and I thought it was the most amazing store I'd ever seen. :):

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    Kmart had a chance, but if I remember right didn't they get hit hardcore financially during their boom expansion because some kid lost a hand to a toothpaste bomb or some wierd explosion.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Funny thing is, what used to be the K-Mart here in Bedford is now the Rural King. Like you said, as time went on, that K-Mart got more and more tired and run down looking. Then, along comes RK...they slap a new sign on the front, maybe a new coat of paint over the tired, run down store, and that thing is now a gold mine. There’s something to the quality of the facilities but there’s definitely more to it than lighting and modernity.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

[video=youtube;anw0TeTmibI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anw0TeTmibI[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Funny thing is, what used to be the K-Mart here in Bedford is now the Rural King. Like you said, as time went on, that K-Mart got more and more tired and run down looking. Then, along comes RK...they slap a new sign on the front, maybe a new coat of paint over the tired, run down store, and that thing is now a gold mine. There’s something to the quality of the facilities but there’s definitely more to it than lighting and modernity.

I think RK picked up several K-Marts. I think the ones in Martinsville and Greenwood were once K-marts too.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think RK picked up several K-Marts. I think the ones in Martinsville and Greenwood were once K-marts too.

I wouldn’t be surprised. Tractor Supply does that too. Before RK came to town, TS bought the old Walmart store and moved into it. How they stay in business, is a mystery. That place is a ghost town compared to the RK.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

RK is a whole different animal. When shopping for what it has that other big boxes don't, who cares if it's dingy. K-Mart was trying to occupy the same retail space as WM and Meijer without better prices and with an even more unpleasant shopping experience than WM (imagine that).

Now, if the same town has a RK, Blain's Farm and Fleet and a Big "R" (or whatever they are now).....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    [video=youtube;anw0TeTmibI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anw0TeTmibI[/video]

When I was a kid, a good trip was shopping at the K-Mart in Dunlap by the Concord Mall and eating in the K-Mart cafeteria.

Yep, no WM in the northland and when I moved to Grand Rapids for college and after- I went to K-Mart once, to pick up a Marlin Model 60 that was on sale for $109.95. Other than that, it was Meijer (GR is ground zero for Meijer).

Top Bottom