• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    this may do more than anything for improving student loan situation moving forward

truth-meter.jpg

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    On the PLUS side, many students are finally starting to do a little math, and learning the ROI isn't what they thought. They can get a great job, making great money, in a field they enjoy, WITHOUT going hundreds of thousands into debt. Plenty of affordable options. THAT will shake up the education market, but (IMHO) in a good way.

So true. Mike Rowe, formerly of A&E's Dirty Jobs, has championed vocations and trades that don't traditionally require a college degree. Getting away from the "college for everybody!" is long overdue.

The Bernie supporters, on the other hand, as foot soldiers in the Free S*** Army, are arguing for FREE COLLEGE for all. But like so many of their ilk, no real idea of what it costs, or, more importantly, how to pay for it.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Roscos tacos in greenwood

They've got a location at Bluff and Southport too. Did that one close as well? I've never eaten there, but DoggyMama used to like them.

Roscoe's been teetering for a while, the Mooresville location closed a while back, believe it was a franchise. Poor service and food quality led by poor management was it's downfall.
    How hard is it to pay attention to what the order is. Order a Taco salad with no sour cream and get enough sour cream to feed a small 3rd world country that's had a food shortage for the last 20 years.

Hiring capable staff throughout the restaurant is vital to it's success and profitability. A couple of bad eggs can turn off a sizable amount of business and create it's downfall.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Roscoe's been teetering for a while, the Mooresville location closed a while back, believe it was a franchise. Poor service and food quality led by poor management was it's downfall.
    How hard is it to pay attention to what the order is. Order a Taco salad with no sour cream and get enough sour cream to feed a small 3rd world country that's had a food shortage for the last 20 years.

Hiring capable staff throughout the restaurant is vital to it's success and profitability. A couple of bad eggs can turn off a sizable amount of business and create it's downfall.

It's not just Roscoe's and it's not necessarily bad management. It has more to do with the quality of the work force. The worker bee's just don't give a ratsass and they know nobody is going to do anything about it. I've been thru a Hardee's drive thru a couple of times since the Wuhan Quarantine began and they have this man-chick working the window that just reeks of Idon'tgivea****itis. The second time I went thru and told her I wanted 8 of the little squirt bags of ketchup. Her response was "everything you need is in the bag". When I got to work there was one packet of ketchup. I got to thinking about the interaction with him/her and decided that she/it was telling me that I got everything I was going to get, NEXT.

I won't be back until the dining rooms reopen.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Regional Airlines (and probably some of the majors soon) are going under...

Compass Airlines out of Minneapolis and Trans States Airlines out of St. Louis both went under in April. Several more overseas too.

The $58 Billion in the stimulus bill earmarked for airlines ($29 billion in payroll grants and $29 billion in loans) will run out in the fall the way the majors are hemorrhaging money. I foresee a big round of layoffs in October and November. The regionals got only a very small part of that package, the majors grabbed up every penny they could, so look for more regionals to go belly up in the fall as well, right about when all the layoffs from the big boys hit, so there will be no hiring in that (my) field anytime soon. I am getting the hell out of aviation/airlines most likely, no future in it for the next several years. It will take 2 - 4 years for that industry to recover IMHO.

Just heard that airline flights were down nearly 75% in April 2020 compared to a year ago and even worse, I think the number of passengers is down close to 95% from what it was a year ago for April. Even when the economy opens back up, people will not have the money for leisure travel and business travel will be cut back due to the number of people able to work remotely and meet through applications like Zoom which have found an increase in popularity like never before.

Airlines are parking and mothballing the older aircraft in their fleets, delaying or canceling orders for new aircraft and slashing budgets everywhere they can. This pain will flow downhill to parts suppliers for things such as tires and going as far as to put a bigger hurt on Boeing than the 737Max fiasco ever did.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's not just Roscoe's and it's not necessarily bad management. It has more to do with the quality of the work force. The worker bee's just don't give a ratsass and they know nobody is going to do anything about it. I've been thru a Hardee's drive thru a couple of times since the Wuhan Quarantine began and they have this man-chick working the window that just reeks of Idon'tgivea****itis. The second time I went thru and told her I wanted 8 of the little squirt bags of ketchup. Her response was "everything you need is in the bag". When I got to work there was one packet of ketchup. I got to thinking about the interaction with him/her and decided that she/it was telling me that I got everything I was going to get, NEXT.

Even more concerning, how much do you think some of these folks (mgmt or worker) then give a damn about the current "precautions" being espoused by the C-levels in every other email you get, if they don't give a damn about the basics of the job? I understand mistakes during these times as I'm sure stress levels are high and for some of these businesses workload is significantly higher than during "normal" times (while of course others are not making it), but as you state, just outright bad service is not excusable.

I suspect that some of these folks who have been tolerated because the labor market had been so tight up until now, may be finding the working competition for these roles will soon be stiff as there are many folks out of jobs currently who would love to have one.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    The Official "Business Destroyed By Lockdown" Thread

I see that the tamale place on 31 on the Indy/Greenwood border has closed. They had awesome tamales and salsa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So true. Mike Rowe, formerly of A&E's Dirty Jobs, has championed vocations and trades that don't traditionally require a college degree. Getting away from the "college for everybody!" is long overdue.

The Bernie supporters, on the other hand, as foot soldiers in the Free S*** Army, are arguing for FREE COLLEGE for all. But like so many of their ilk, no real idea of what it costs, or, more importantly, how to pay for it.

I remember setting down with my scheduling councilor in Freshmen sign in. all she talked about was me going to college. My SAT's and a separate test they gave me were pointing that way. This was 1964 folks. This has been prevalent for a long long time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

CKW is not to be trifled with or treated badly.
    CKW (spouse) was treated terribly at the McD's on 38th and Laff. rd. The entire staff was full of "Dontgivea****itis" and were not shy to let them know.

This was a special take the terrorists for a ride and a happy meal. These nasty *****es ruined it for them. From the accounts I got the bag went back in the window at max achievable velocity as she drove off.
    When she got home a series of phone calls and emails were made. I am sure those asshats were head on a swivel when they left for home. Man she was pissed off.

She would not allow me to go over there.

$15 an hour my ass.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why would anyone expect a quality workforce while we are paying most folks in that category a grand a week to sit at home?

People are beginning to see this. Nancy wonders why there is so much push back on her next version stimulus package?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I remember setting down with my scheduling councilor in Freshmen sign in. all she talked about was me going to college. My SAT's and a separate test they gave me were pointing that way. This was 1964 folks. This has been prevalent for a long long time.

And that was before college cost an arm and a leg, and there were buckets of "free" student loan money.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    CKW is not to be trifled with or treated badly.
    CKW (spouse) was treated terribly at the McD's on 38th and Laff. rd. The entire staff was full of "Dontgivea****itis" and were not shy to let them know.

This was a special take the terrorists for a ride and a happy meal. These nasty *****es ruined it for them. From the accounts I got the bag went back in the window at max achievable velocity as she drove off.
    When she got home a series of phone calls and emails were made. I am sure those asshats were head on a swivel when they left for home. Man she was pissed off.

She would not allow me to go over there.

$15 an hour my ass.

Looking at this thread, it seems that some of the businesses that are failing suffered a combination of economic downturn, poor management, and employees who just didn't give a ************.

The $15/hour people view these poor, downtrodden workers as "victims" of the "man," who aren't being given a "living wage."

Unfortunately, a McD's franchise is almost like a license to print money; I think they are less prone than many other businesses to going under, assuming this lockdown doesn't go on too much longer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And that was before college cost an arm and a leg, and there were buckets of "free" student loan money.

Pretty much. My Mother was dead set I go. My step dad (Mr super erect penis) refused to help or guide me so I went to work long before I graduated.
    He sent my sisters to schools but he and I never got along. Go figure.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Pretty much. My Mother was dead set I go. My step dad (Mr super erect penis) refused to help or guide me so I went to work long before I graduated.
    He sent my sisters to schools but he and I never got along. Go figure.

Seems like a good life in the trades and some mad mechanical skills have allowed you to get to experience some awesome things along the way (based on some of the stuff in the Hot Rod thread).

My son is clearly NOT destined for college. He has the good test scores, but lacks the interest. He will be graduating shortly and reporting to Fort Sill, OK. Third generation in the family to go Field Artillery in the Army. I would have liked him to go to college, but I can be proud of him as a soldier.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seems like a good life in the trades and some mad mechanical skills have allowed you to get to experience some awesome things along the way (based on some of the stuff in the Hot Rod thread).

My son is clearly NOT destined for college. He has the good test scores, but lacks the interest. He will be graduating shortly and reporting to Fort Sill, OK. Third generation in the family to go Field Artillery in the Army. I would have liked him to go to college, but I can be proud of him as a soldier.

No matter what path you follow in this life, what you choose to persue…...be the best at it you can be. If you do that things will open up for you. That has been my lifes experiences. Work for it. Constantly regardless. Stay the course.

I have always had the mechanical aptitude. That's what carried me deep into the trades ands all the extras that it afforded me.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    No matter what path you follow in this life, what you choose to persue…...be the best at it you can be. If you do that things will open up for you. That has been my lifes experiences. Work for it. Constantly regardless. Stay the course.

I have always had the mechanical aptitude. That's what carried me deep into the trades ands all the extras that it afforded me.

Finding the path, and then being the best you can be. Both keys to happiness and success in your work life. Unlike the slugs CKW encountered at McD's. I suspect they are not where they want to be, and are profoundly unhappy. And it shows.

When I was a high school kid in the 70's at Haag Drug working for $2.35/hour, I showed up when I was supposed to and did a good job while I was there. Ended up getting a raise and a minor promotion before school obligations (college and ROTC) got in the way. Not the best job in the world, but it helped get me to where I am today.

Top Bottom