• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Colleges and Universities are taking a major hit. Small, private liberal arts schools are getting hit the hardest. Small regional schools and community colleges are not far behind, as they don't typically have cash on hand.

Recently closed:
    San Francisco Art Institute
    MacMurray Institute in Illinois
    Urbana University in Ohio
    Holy Family College in Wisconsin

Saw last week that FAFSA submissions are down 30-40%. That is no joke. That is millions of students making no plans to pay for college in the fall. Granted, there is still time to apply, but we are WAY behind previous years.

Even schools that are not closing forever, are starting to shut down programs that are not easily moved online or not exceptionally profitable. Going to be a major shakeup in higher ed no matter what.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Buuuuuuut..... If we’re going to count the death of a cancer patient with only weeks to live but who had the CV as a CV death, it’s only fair to count a business with underlying financial co-morbidities that die during the pandemic as a CV death. Is it not? :D

iu

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Colleges and Universities are taking a major hit. Small, private liberal arts schools are getting hit the hardest. Small regional schools and community colleges are not far behind, as they don't typically have cash on hand.

Recently closed:

Saw last week that FAFSA submissions are down 30-40%. That is no joke. That is millions of students making no plans to pay for college in the fall. Granted, there is still time to apply, but we are WAY behind previous years.

Even schools that are not closing forever, are starting to shut down programs that are not easily moved online or not exceptionally profitable. Going to be a major shakeup in higher ed no matter what.

This is not surprising. There has been a great distortion in the market for higher education services, fueled by the easy money of non-dischargeable student loans. This led to all kinds of problems, including the creation of fluffy, useless degree programs that were designed to entice students and fill seats. Not to mention the huge increase in administrators, some required to comply with federal law (Clery Act reporting and Title IX administration after the "dear colleague" letters, for example). The changing social landscape also mandated fidelity to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and the "best" way to show such adherence is to have a huge diversity and inclusion apparatus. Even if that apparatus provides no "real" value to the educational experience.

Kids are catching on. Not everyone needs to go to college. A degree in feminist intersectional gender studies with a minor in fighting the white patriarchy doesn't lead to jobs in the real world, especially when the economy is bad and there isn't a lot of excess funding available to pay for such indulgences.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Recently closed:

That is impressive. I wonder how these colleges will evolve if they actually have to compete for business.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is not surprising. There has been a great distortion in the market for higher education services, fueled by the easy money of non-dischargeable student loans. This led to all kinds of problems, including the creation of fluffy, useless degree programs that were designed to entice students and fill seats. Not to mention the huge increase in administrators, some required to comply with federal law (Clery Act reporting and Title IX administration after the "dear colleague" letters, for example). The changing social landscape also mandated fidelity to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and the "best" way to show such adherence is to have a huge diversity and inclusion apparatus. Even if that apparatus provides no "real" value to the educational experience.

Kids are catching on. Not everyone needs to go to college. A degree in feminist intersectional gender studies with a minor in fighting the white patriarchy doesn't lead to jobs in the real world, especially when the economy is bad and there isn't a lot of excess funding available to pay for such indulgences.

This is exactly the point of having a degree in feminist intersectional gender studies wit a minor in fighting the white patriarchy. If life were fair it WOULD lead to jobs in the real world. Does YOUR workplace have a director of Feminist Intersectional Genders Studies/Fighting the White Patriarchy?

It should!:xmad:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is exactly the point of having a degree in feminist intersectional gender studies wit a minor in fighting the white patriarchy. If life were fair it WOULD lead to jobs in the real world. Does YOUR workplace have a director of Feminist Intersectional Genders Studies/Fighting the White Patriarchy?

That’s the HR department.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Gosh, you're right! We are a bunch of prehistoric cave-men like animals!

I need to go turn myself in to the thought police right this minute!

Thank you, Comrade, for showing me the error of my ways! :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Recently closed:

As I see this it is something that needs to be "Shook" up just sad this is the reason it happens.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

So much better said than I could have.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thanks, CM. A couple of years ago I went back to do some grad school at IUPUI, and got to see this up close. It was certainly NOT the same school where I got my undergrad in 1983. Nope. Not even close.

Definitely not. I told my oldest to go to each scheduled class, sit up front, ask a question occasionally to show interest and you're guaranteed a passing grade with no other effort. Definitely different from when my post secondary education started some 30 or more years ago.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I went down to IU-B in 1979. I then took the daughter down there around 2005. I was startled by the change. The campus was littered by the thugs and bullies that I was so relieved not to have around me any more when I went.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I went down to IU-B in 1979. I then took the daughter down there around 2005. I was startled by the change. The campus was littered by the thugs and bullies that I was so relieved not to have around me any more when I went.

You mean the teachers and profs, right?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I know everyone loves to hate on higher ed, thanks to some of the wacky programs that are available. Please note, though, things like Gender Studies rank down in the mid-50's for "degrees conferred", which is below things like welding and cosmetology. Business, Health professions, sciences, education, law enforcement, and 50+ other fields are all notably higher. Even Theology and Religious Studies ranks much higher. THESE are the schools/programs hardest hit, as they are the bread and butter of the smaller schools (Colleges and Community Colleges). The large universities will weather this storm, and they are the ones that can afford oddball programs.

On the PLUS side, many students are finally starting to do a little math, and learning the ROI isn't what they thought. They can get a great job, making great money, in a field they enjoy, WITHOUT going hundreds of thousands into debt. Plenty of affordable options. THAT will shake up the education market, but (IMHO) in a good way.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I saw a tweet from a business owner in Gatlinburg, TN, who said he was asked to vacate the premises of his 9-year-old business due to two-month rent arrears. I can imagine that such tourism-driven areas will be particularly hard-hit.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I saw a tweet from a business owner in Gatlinburg, TN, who said he was asked to vacate the premises of his 9-year-old business due to two-month rent arrears. I can imagine that such tourism-driven areas will be particularly hard-hit.

Does TN not have a moratorium on that sort of thing? I can't imagine that the landlord has any prospect of a new renter. Seems vindictive and myopic.

Top Bottom