• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I need some help picking out a spring/fall jacket that is good quality. and i figure who better to ask than my ingo friends.:D

Just wondering what your guys opinions on the over quality with these companies is? The jacket is going to be a light weight water resistant one if that matters. I went into dicks and was attacked by a saleswoman trying to push me on north face but it seems too trendy to me, maybe im wrong? But when she said these are the need to have and everyone has one is kinda made me think they would be better for running from the car into starbucks than actually any real use. I really found a patagonia one i like but im not sure of the quality and i cant find any reviews on it :(

anyway all help is appreciated :ingo:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    North Face and Columbia used to be good. Somewhere down the line they became "fashionable". They do the job I suppose, they wear out quick though. No experience with Patagonia.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    North face is way overpriced for what can be had elsewhere for less or equal money.

A patient of mine had a really kickass NF jacket, but the hood kept coming off because it snapped on. Design fail. It was supposed to be a winter jacket/ski jacket.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't own a Patagonia anything. I don't like their environmentalist stand.

The North Face has an awesome fall winter jacket. It's the one you see most often around. You have to check the different models since they all look similar. The one that is good for stopping the wind really works well.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'd look in to something like the LL Bean Pathfinder jacket and probably save a decent amount over those name brands. And have a lifetime guarantee.

I bought their Wind Challenger fleece a few weeks ago and think it's just awesome. Really puts a stop to the wind. Been great to wear in the chilly mornings we've had recently. Though the model has slightly changed, check out nutnfancy's review of the jacket, which did a good job of steering me towards the jacket.

I feel Columbia has gone down market on some of their clothing; not as technical as it once may have been. And TNF is more for the Keystone Fashion Mall / Starbucks crowd. Not much experience with Patagonia stuff, but I think it's still good quality albeit with a high price tag.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As far as the quality for money IMHO Carhartt is really hard to beat. Maybe not as fashionable but I have Carhartt shirts that I have worked hard in, a lot, that are almost 5 years old.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I love my north face stuff, and I look great in it and my jeans :):

What about Marmot?

Marmot Jackets | Marmot Clothing and Equipment
    Im fat so i really need to try things on before i buy them which is why i'd like to stick to things i can pickup at dicks sporting goods

As far as the quality for money IMHO Carhartt is really hard to beat. Maybe not as fashionable but I have Carhartt shirts that I have worked hard in, a lot, that are almost 5 years old.
    I have a couple carhartt work jackets and one hoody and while they are amazing. They dont fit this specific bill for me
    Not water resistant but I liked this one Columbia, enough to buy two, one in each color, warm and stylish, so says my wife. :)

Cabela's: Columbia® Thermarator II Fleece Jacket

water resistant is a must for me as I plan on using this in the spring for fishing , and that means spring showers. I have a couple columbia fleeces and while they are nice, any rain and they get soaked and stay soaked for a while.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I wouldn't own a Patagonia anything. I don't like their environmentalist stand.

The North Face has an awesome fall winter jacket. It's the one you see most often around. You have to check the different models since they all look similar. The one that is good for stopping the wind really works well.

Ya i checked out that jacket as i was originally planning on getting it but it seems a little heavier than what im looking for.

Could you elaborate on why you dont like their eniviromentalist stand?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Im fat so i really need to try things on before i buy them which is why i'd like to stick to things i can pickup at dicks sporting goods

I have a couple carhartt work jackets and one hoody and while they are amazing. They dont fit this specific bill for me

water resistant is a must for me as I plan on using this in the spring for fishing , and that means spring showers. I have a couple columbia fleeces and while they are nice, any rain and they get soaked and stay soaked for a while.

Carhartt - Product - Astoria Jacket

Carhartt - Product - Ketchikan Jacket

Carhartt - Product - Men's Rockford Jacket

Carhartt - Product - Men’s Steelhead Jacket

Carharrt isn't just work wear anymore. Thanks to companys like the three you mentioned Carharrt is adapting thier line to comform with the trends in fashion while, I feel, still offering better quality for the money compared to the others. All these fit you criteria for a light spring/fall jacket and are offered in Big and Tall sizes as well and Carhartt stores are everywhere. Also Carhartt now has a few offerings being made in the USA as well.

Call me a die hard Carharrt fan but I think thier clothes are the best for the money.

Personally I like the Astoria and the Steelhead

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I have owned many north face,patagonia,and columbia jackets,pants,ect. I have put them into the elements they are made for and they all perform well.For the money its hard to beat columbia .:twocents:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I need some help picking out a spring/fall jacket that is good quality. and i figure who better to ask than my ingo friends.:D

Just wondering what your guys opinions on the over quality with these companies is? The jacket is going to be a light weight water resistant one if that matters. I went into dicks and was attacked by a saleswoman trying to push me on north face but it seems too trendy to me, maybe im wrong? But when she said these are the need to have and everyone has one is kinda made me think they would be better for running from the car into starbucks than actually any real use. I really found a patagonia one i like but im not sure of the quality and i cant find any reviews on it :(

anyway all help is appreciated :ingo:

See if Amazon carries the Patagonia jacket you like and you can see if they have any reviews for it. Amazon is one of the first places I check for customer reviews.

Amazon.com: patagonia jackets

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I own and like garments from all three of your preferred choices. However, for my money Cabela's offerings are priced more reasonably, and are made at least as well as any of the three you initially inquired about. As an aside, all US expeditions to Antarctica are now equipped with Cabela's gear, and their customer support/warranty can't be beat.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Columbia and north face are both good to go in my opinion...I don't get why everyone is hating on north face for being trendy...since I had their stuff before it was trendy am I exempt from the hate or what...its good stuff...expensive but good stuff...check out their apex jacket its one of the best that is wind and water repellant and warm too!

Top Bottom