• ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    bj3LWVIHbJdRkEt5hGMSBLntwVMNAt0w_lg.jpg

It's a false comparison. Is Narcan really free? If Narcan is administered, the patient will typically be required to be transported to the hospital. They incur the bill like any other.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's a false comparison. Is Narcan really free? If Narcan is administered, the patient will typically be required to be transported to the hospital. They incur the bill like any other.
    And they pay it?

I did a bit of research in IMPD's Narcan source. Looks to be from a non-profit grant administered by Overdose Lifeline. No tax money, but is funded by settlements with pharmaceutical companies for off-label and deceptive marketing.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have a tremendous respect for our elected officials. They enter their careers at statehouses and in DC, they work half the year, do little to nothing, get filthy stinking rich, then ditch that job and get an even better paying one lobbying, and during all of that, they still manage to convince large numbers of Americans that some other bunch of people are the useless drains on society.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And they pay it?

I did a bit of research in IMPD's Narcan source. Looks to be from a non-profit grant administered by Overdose Lifeline. No tax money, but is funded by settlements with pharmaceutical companies for off-label and deceptive marketing.
    That's a different topic all together.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have a tremendous respect for our elected officials. They enter their careers at statehouses and in DC, they work half the year, do little to nothing, get filthy stinking rich, then ditch that job and get an even better paying one lobbying, and during all of that, they still manage to convince large numbers of Americans that some other bunch of people are the useless drains on society.

Very true. A cockroach wearing a necktie is still a cockroach.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

exactly, it's a nice FB post though that gets shared all the time. And why is insulin not free. And why is college not free, etc.

Pennsylvania Mom Charged After Overdosing on Heroin While Pregnant - NBC News

This is a sad story for the child but nice to see that pregnant women can be charged with injuring their unborn child via drugs.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This will fade again from the news.

In other new in the area. They have found massive Burmese pythons in the area and everyone is now in a panic.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Bloomington has fell into the toilet and with I69 south has brought the toilet south to us......sheriff and co's removed a bum from under our bridge.......he said he had a right to stay under the bridge because it was state owned....:rolleyes:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Bloomington has fell into the toilet and with I69 south has brought the toilet south to us......sheriff and co's removed a bum from under our bridge.......he said he had a right to stay under the bridge because it was state owned....:rolleyes:

Damn! That was my retirement plan except I had my eyes on a nice bridge in south Florida! I'd rather starve to death under a bridge in Florida than freeze to death under a bridge in Indiana!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Are you referring to Medicaid charges? Because if they are uninsured it's not your taxes, it's the docs and hospitals that eat the loss.
    Who then pass that loss onto me in the form of higher medical costs. And insurance providers who pass the loss along to me in the form of $6K-$8K deductibles and inflated premiums.

I am so damn tired of footing the bill for people that don't give a **** about themselves enough to put down the syringe. When is enough, enough?

Why they hell should I be forced to pay $6-8K out of my pocket while we continue to provide free services for those that refuse to help themselves?

Last edited:

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Who then pass that loss onto me in the form of higher medical costs. And insurance providers who pass the loss along to me in the form of $6K-$8K deductibles.

I am so damn tired of footing the bill for people that don't give a **** about themselves enough to put down the syringe. When is enough, enough?

Why they hell should I be forced to pay $6-8K out of my pocket while we continue to provide free services for those that refuse to help themselves?

That is very well said ! !

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic. Very few types of insulin work for her. The ones that work best are very expensive. To the tune of around 1K/month until her insurance deductibles are met. Who do you think foots the bill for her medication?

But no, let's keep throwing free life-saving medication at people that don't give a damn about themselves enough to do something about it. At some point in time my pockets run dry.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    But no, let's keep throwing free life-saving medication at people that don't give a damn about themselves enough to do something about it. At some point in time my pockets run dry.
    That's the wrong attitude Mr ! Apparently we should rejoice in jacked to fund everyone else's fun . Damned Hillians ! Speaking of the Hill , you aware there's supposedly a crap ton of drug / flop houses around ?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    That's the wrong attitude Mr ! Apparently we should rejoice in jacked to fund everyone else's fun . Damned Hillians ! Speaking of the Hill , you aware there's supposedly a crap ton of drug / flop houses around ?
    Drugs in The Hill??? That's why the stoned dumb SOB's keep getting smoked on Kentucky Av.

I know it's a **** poor attitude but it's mine and I'm keeping it. I'm tired of being bled dry. Someone will say, ""If it was your loved one...". Well, I'd have a decision to make. Either foot the bill for my loved one's poor decisions out of my pocket or walk away.

I understand, I really do. But I'm tired of failed practices that don't work. And continuing to sacrifice while others bleed me dry.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The responses here are very "unChristian-like".

Bear in mind, that even God will give you over to your own desires, if that's where your prefer to be. (But He does leave an escape route :) ).

If we were to use some of the same logic that those that support abortion use, why would we insist on forcing people to live in an existence where so many drug addicts find themselves. Isn't that just cruel? Wouldn't we be doing them a favor by letting them OD themselves to death?

I know the logic that priest that interceded with your relative was that as long as he was alive, there was a chance that he might repent and follow Jesus. I get that. The older I get, the more I find myself trying to follow in Jesus' example, the more I value that and the more it grieves me when people choose those self destructive paths.

If I were in your shoes and I had the ability to save someone's life in my car, you bet I'd try...no matter how many times they've tried to OD.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Who then pass that loss onto me in the form of higher medical costs. And insurance providers who pass the loss along to me in the form of $6K-$8K deductibles and inflated premiums.

While I understand where you are coming from, it is a bit more complicated than that.

http://www.nahu.org/legislative/policydocuments/NAHUWhitePaperCost.pdf

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Denny, don't get discouraged at a time like this. While I am pretty well set in my belief that protecting the stupid from themselves is a fool's errand predestined to failure, you are an intelligent and thoughtful person, and you are bringing good points to the table. I will add to that you are among a relatively small group responsible for persuading me to rethink my position on law enforcement which was no small accomplishment, especially given some of my really bad past experiences. You are a good man and a good officer, and it shows.

Top Bottom