• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    In this day and age it seems almost laughable to think that anyone in their right mind would consider a Mosin as an MBR for a TEOTWAWKI scenario .

Then you stumble across the story of a guy named Simo Hayha . A Finnish dude , standing five foot nothing doling out some serious "kiss my ass" , with a Mosin M28/30 to any godless commie puke that wanted some .

Warning : Not safe for work , women , children , liberals , working liberal women with children , working children of liberal women , etc.

Basically , if your intestinal fortitude has the consistency of a moon pie , don't open the link .

Badass - Simo Häyhä

The Mosin probably isn't going to be my first or fifth choice but I'm going to add one or 3 to my collection soon .

Last edited:

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Bad Ass of the Week is a great decompression sort of read after a week of monotony.

Front a practical stand-point, think what all this guy had on his side - home ground advantage, life time spent getting to know that land, the factors instilled from using that weapon to provide food for himself weekly, terrain that a long range battle rifle was suited to, previous experience behind his weapon,...

If those don't apply to your situation, the tools from a different situation may not be suited to yours. Then again, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a tool on hand :D, as you never know when that odd job may pop up that it's perfectly suited for.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    A bolt gun is viable when you are using it as a rifle that reaches out further than the enemies' autos can reach you and your position remains a mystery. I think it was a lot of skill with the particular rifle and a serious home field advantage helping this guy.

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    The mosin can absolutely work as a Main Battle Rifle, as long as you play to it's strengths. Sure, you're not going to be rushing any machine gun nests with it, but defending your property from several heavily armed individuals in a position with good cover and concealment? Absolutely.

My M44 is my current MBR because I have nothing better. Heavily considering buying an AR in .223, in piecemeal because I plain can't afford a complete AR at even entry levels. When I finally piece it together, I have no plans of ditching the Mosin. 7.62x54r and .223 are my two rifle calibers for SHTF and I feel that prepares me for pretty much any situation I can think of.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If you NEED it, the rifle you have is absolutely better than no rifle at all.

Still doesn't mean its a good choice.

Then again, I have a particular disdain for Mosins (loud, ugly, inaccurate, seen too many people shooting them acting like damn fools at the range in Henryville, did I mention LOUD) so I'm not exactly objective.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    Mosin Nagants inaccurate? Maybe some of the ones that are wore out, but if you get one with a good bore and know what you're doing, they're every bit as accurate as modern rifles.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Not discounting Mr. Hayhas accomplishments but I believe the Soviets made it pretty easy through their ignorance and total lack of concern for their troops. Facing sometimes unarmed & bolt action equipped foes with a bolt action might be okay but I wouldn't wanna go against anything modern.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've read about this dude before. Definitely bad a$$. It helps that he likely had thousands of acres in which to operate. I think a Mosin Nagant could make a nice ranch rifle and be used to keep intruders at bay if you had an elevated position. I don't think I'd want it if I had to do battle in the streets.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    On big positive of any high-powered bolt-action rifle - specifically for TEOTWAWKI - is that it tends to help you conserve ammunition. Personally, I think I'd rather have an SMLE or a Springfield '03, but the Mosin Nagant certainly has the advantage of having relatively inexpensive ammunition available at the present.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    On big positive of any high-powered bolt-action rifle - specifically for TEOTWAWKI - is that it tends to help you conserve ammunition. Personally, I think I'd rather have an SMLE or a Springfield '03, but the Mosin Nagant certainly has the advantage of having relatively inexpensive ammunition available at the present.
    SMLE is my preference in surplus rifle also. Actually, Id rather have a P17 Enfield, but where doyou find those without giving your left nut anymore? Either way, nobody is suggesting the OP get rid of his Mosin. If I had one, Id shoot the hell out of it. I dont need one, so I havent got one. I HAVE HAD several, however. My fav being the 1938 Tula that I should have been beaten with for selling it.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    home court advantage in cold winter definitely helped them out. Anyone ever seen the movie happy people?

Top Bottom