• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Ah yes, remember playing Zork, and needing about a week to get a reponse back from something posted on the BBS, LOL. That would've been circa '79 - '80.

Can STILL hear that 'screee-yawww-whaaa' from the modem, LOL...

People still have lives back then, and did things NOT centered around cell phones and internet connections.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah I remember 600 baud and then getting a 1200 baud and thinking how much faster it was!

I also remember playing Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune on an old old IBM (mid 80s) on 5.25" floppies. same computer was all DOS base, maybe DOS 1.x, I've still got that computer somewhere in the basement of their place and the software lol.

I remember playing DOS games that had no graphics, and writing stupid/fun code in basic.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Zork! Icepik anyone?
    300 baud ACOUSTIC COUPLER modems FTW.
    I remember when a local BBS obtained multiple lines, and the ability to live chat between several users (a whopping 6) happened for the first time in my existence back in 1983
    20 CPS on my vic 20.

Back then we had 'BBS Meet n Greets' where a couple of 13 year old kids could go meet a bunch of other geeks without parental supervision and not have to worry about being abducted. Back then, Magician's Castle was the ONLY BBS in town.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    “It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.”

Gawd, 1200 bps was an upgrade. I remember talking seriously of sharing a 5MB HD between a Northstar Z80 and an IMSAI 8080. That Northstar took 160K 5.25 floppies. (floppy disk; them up on wikipedia; I started with 8" ones.) Bigtime stuff.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Zork! Icepik anyone?
    300 baud ACOUSTIC COUPLER modems FTW.
    I remember when a local BBS obtained multiple lines, and the ability to live chat between several users (a whopping 6) happened for the first time in my existence back in 1983
    20 CPS on my vic 20.

Back then we had 'BBS Meet n Greets' where a couple of 13 year old kids could go meet a bunch of other geeks without parental supervision and not have to worry about being abducted. Back then, Magician's Castle was the ONLY BBS in town.

Brings back good memories!! I remember when I went to 2400. Wow. What a speed demon! LOL We had a local BBs called Mothers that was popular. I remember another in Elkhart called the Rabbits Hole.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was addicted to a MUD called Marches of Antan, moving my way up through the ranks when.. the owner decided some people might be cheating, so he wiped everyone's account and made us start over.. ARRRRGHH!!!

Local BBSs were great, I was on Gunner's Grotto and JJ's Palace. We met every Thursday "IRL" at Claude and Annies on the north side.
    IBM PS/2 Model 30 8530 with 64k of RAM and a 20mb harddrive, "doublespaced" to 40 with a 3.5" floppy running PC DOS and then Windows 2.0

Ahh, those were the days..

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I think my first internet experience was in 1995 or so, sometimes I wish it was that way again. We never had AOL but did have the 14. whatever modem, I remember playing Command and Conquer with a friend an hour away. Fancy!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    LOL, bunch of old coots.

Is a phrase only used by old coots.

my dad wrote security software for mainframes. I remember going to his office in the 80s and playing zork on a co-workers computer. He had to load the large tape reel onto the server in order to load the game. Fun time.

regarding leisure suit Larry, we were never allowed to go up the apartment :(

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Is a phrase only used by old coots.

my dad wrote security software for mainframes. I remember going to his office in the 80s and playing zork on a co-workers computer. He had to load the large tape reel onto the server in order to load the game. Fun time.

regarding leisure suit Larry, we were never allowed to go up the apartment :(

Probably true on the first. I took some CS classes in the early 80's. I think it was a DEC at that time. I just couldn't get into sitting in those little rooms punching cards, then running them through the reader and getting the printout and starting at that for hours.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember playing the original WarCraft, on the mainframe at BSU in the mid 80's. It was all dot-matrix with symbols for land, sea, airplanes, forts, and armies. One spring my friend gave me access to play it, I almost flunked Organic Chem.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I liked the 2 hour video for the commodore 64 that popped up as a suggested link. I'd forgotten all about the cassette tape.

My other early fond memory was in the early-mid 90's that several of us would hit up a computer lab at Purdue and playing multiplayer Doom. Great stuff.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I liked the 2 hour video for the commodore 64 that popped up as a suggested link. I'd forgotten all about the cassette tape.

My other early fond memory was in the early-mid 90's that several of us would hit up a computer lab at Purdue and playing multiplayer Doom. Great stuff.

My snob of a friend had a Commodore 64. We had a Vic-20 :(

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have- "have" present tense- the TRS-80 Color Computer that was our family's first home computer from around '81 or so. Dad upgraded from 16k to 32k and I still have the joysticks, games and cassette adapter cord (no cassette player, though). Very similar to this one:

trs80-oldcomputersnet.jpg

Top Bottom