Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought that was a "trans man" a woman that "converted" to man, but still has the equipment.

But who knows.
    Yeah. I was. I didn't notice trans man in the title. Just clicked and watched, and thought it looked like a dude transitioning to a woman.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville

History repeating itself?

Some historians believe that the idle rich of the Victorian period started pop culture and began to embrace some very weird practices and pseudoscience.

Are we seeing the impact of a generally rich society?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I’ll say it again. If all you need to do is think and believe to choose your gender, why is that thought from your brain not capable of physically changing your body?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Interviewer snarkily states "So social justice warrior types can just go kick rocks".

Chet Hanks says..... "yeah... yeah...
    I one hundred percent agree
    social justice warriors can go kick rocks".

:rofl:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh. That look when he agreed, Social Justice Warriors can go kick rocks. Claims that it was cultural appropriation is nonsense. I mean if we're gonna hold that standard let's be consistent. What's with the straightened hair? I really don't care what she does with her hair. But if we're gonna call out cultural appropriation why isn't that? Or, instead, how about we not give a **** and let people adopt the things they like that other cultures do.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh. That look when he agreed, Social Justice Warriors can go kick rocks. Claims that it was cultural appropriation is nonsense. I mean if we're gonna hold that standard let's be consistent. What's with the straightened hair? I really don't care what she does with her hair. But if we're gonna call out cultural appropriation why isn't that? Or, instead, how about we not give a **** and let people adopt the things they like that other cultures do.

Well, this is America... the Melting Pot.
    WTF do they think that means?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, they don’t agree with the melting pot analogy. They think it’s a salad.
    I hate salad, and love fondue.

But.. melting pot, salad.... meh, it's just metaphors. I understand the concept, and don't really care because I love authentic tacos, and if America has to become a salad for me to get my lingue tacos, so be it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I hate salad, and love fondue.

But.. melting pot, salad.... meh, it's just metaphors. I understand the concept, and don't really care because I love authentic tacos, and if America has to become a salad for me to get my lingue tacos, so be it.
    Food discussion aside, both views have very important implications for society. The “salad” way just doesn’t work because humans have a limited capacity for diversity regardless what progressives claim about their own tolerant virtues. The great animosity between Irish, Italian, and German immigrants died out not because they all celebrated their diversity. It died out because each successive generation intermarried. The cultures melded. It’s why we called it the melting pot in the first place.

The “salad”metaphor represents an idea of maintaining all the diverse, distinct cultures, and that we’ll just be tolerant of them. But the only tolerance is only to the extent that they agree with each other politically. Otherwise forget tolerance.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    According to the woke...
    The melting pot means you get to agree with everything they say.
    No, according to the woke, the melting pot is a tool of the white male patriarchy to erase the distinct cultures of marginalized people. But really, the melting pot is just a metaphor to describe what happens naturally when diverse people live in close proximity. It’s not a plan of action. It’s the way it works when bigots don’t try to control things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom