• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm not sure what the official name of the exercise is, but I saw a body builder named Victor Martinez performing it on Youtube. You move a cable pulley down low, then curl with each arm. Here's a link to the video.

Hmmm, I’m not sure, just looks like a variation of a curl, it looked like they were doing hammer curls with it at one point. I primarily do a session of hammer curls and then preacher curls.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Hmmm, I’m not sure, just looks like a variation of a curl, it looked like they were doing hammer curls with it at one point. I primarily do a session of hammer curls and then preacher curls.

I'm still consider myself new to a fitness routine. I'm exploring different excerises and philosophies to see what works best for me. Right now, I'm doing slightly lighter weight with higher reps in the 12-15 range. I plan on changing my routine once I hit 12 weeks on my current program, so maybe I'll up the weight I use and lower the number of reps to see what kind of results I get.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm still consider myself new to a fitness routine. I'm exploring different excerises and philosophies to see what works best for me. Right now, I'm doing slightly lighter weight with higher reps in the 12-15 range. I plan on changing my routine once I hit 12 weeks on my current program, so maybe I'll up the weight I use and lower the number of reps to see what kind of results I get.
    I bought this book a few years ago, unfortunately the price has gone up, but imho it’s still worth it.
    SWEAT: Special Workouts, Exercises and Advanced Techniques: Everything you'll need to know on your fitness journey Amazon product ASIN B0838D5K8XI started following him on Quora, found him on YouTube and follow him there, he’s got a lot of good advice for natural lifter’s.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I bought this book a few years ago, unfortunately the price has gone up, but imho it’s still worth it.
    SWEAT: Special Workouts, Exercises and Advanced Techniques: Everything you'll need to know on your fitness journey Amazon product ASIN B0838D5K8XI started following him on Quora, found him on YouTube and follow him there, he’s got a lot of good advice for natural lifter’s.
    LOL I’ve been looking at books for ‘fitness over 60’ and many exercises in those books can be done while sitting on the couch

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Lifting heavy with movements that engage a lot of muscle mass (ie, squats, deadlifts) stimulates growth hormone, which promotes muscle over fat.

Lifting alone will not "tone" you, but can help you maintain muscle as you lose fat in a more favorable ratio.
    Lift Heavy. This Is The Way.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just spent the better part of the past two weeks in Hawaii, celebrating our 15th anniversary. Our first morning in Waikiki, I took advantage of the jet lag, and took a 9-mile round-trip walk/hike from our hotel to Diamond Head, and back, with my youngest daughter.
    20220831_075325.jpg

Not sure I could have done that a couple years ago.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    My buddy invited me over to his house Sunday to watch the Colts, and his wife went all out with the food. For the first time since early April, I went off-track on my eating. I didn't go completely ape ****, but I did enjoy myself. I didn't step on the scale yesterday, but I couldn't resisit checking this morning I was shocked to see I actually lost a pound since Saturday. Maybe I can allow myself an occasional cheat day.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My buddy invited me over to his house Sunday to watch the Colts, and his wife went all out with the food. For the first time since early April, I went off-track on my eating. I didn't go completely ape ****, but I did enjoy myself. I didn't step on the scale yesterday, but I couldn't resisit checking this morning I was shocked to see I actually lost a pound since Saturday. Maybe I can allow myself an occasional cheat day.
    It’s probably better to enjoy yourself, but in moderation. A little bit of junk food won’t hurt, heck it’s probably better than just denying yourself, especially in a social setting. Rather than a cheat day, just allow the occasional treat, but remember, moderation is key. That’s always been my problem, moderation. I understand my weakness so I just go without, cause I know one Reese cup will turn into me in the kitchen digging through the kids Halloween candy in the middle of the night like a crack head looking for his next fix!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've found something that is helping me get past sweet cravings. I run hot and have always liked eating/drinking cold things. I really like popsicles or those freeze pops in the plastic tube. I bought some empty tubes on Amazon. They have a ziploc closing on one end. I take a packet of the unsweetened Koolaid mix and only put in half the sugar (1/2 cup for one packet of Koolaid) and 64 oz water in a pitcher. Then I fill the popsicle tubes and freeze. Allow a couple of inches for expansion or you will have a mess. I lay mine in a plastic shoebox so they don't mess up the freezer. That 3 oz of half-sweetened Koolaid ends up being about 19 calories and 5 carbs. I eat a couple a day. If you don't want to go the popsicle route, it's good just to drink and has half the calories of regular Koolaid. I refuse to drink diet sodas or other diet drinks that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners. This is good to do if you have kids also to keep them from having so much sugar.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Went for a walk with the wife and kids, got almost 2 miles in. The boy challenged me to a race, so of course I had to race, ended up running probably close to a half mile in three different races… I still beat him though :lmfao:

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Spent the last 4 night/5 days in a cabin at Potato Creek State Park with a 2 year old and a good bit of that time it was raining. No gym equipment. Lots of baby sitting, playing "cars" and watching videos. So it was actually difficult to meet my AppleWatch goals for movement and exercise each day. I did it. Mostly by walking at the park. Sometimes just barely 'closed my rings' but I always did it. Went out to eat one night. Steaks on the grill another night. Burgers, hot dogs, even got some Chinese food.

Got home today, unpacked the truck and weighed in at 191.7#. I'm happy with that. Proof that I can eat like a normal person again without gaining weight, especially if I continue to exercise.

According to one of my health Apps, my heart health has increased from the low range of "Below Average" to the low range of "Average" so I guess that is proof enough that the past 37 days of daily workouts has done something for me.

I'd like to get into the "Above Average" range for heart health. The cardiologist may have advice on how I can do that, given the partial arterial blockage I have. My 1st consult is in 2 weeks.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Acupuncture on Tuesday night went well. I have one more session scheduled. Piriformis is slowly loosening. My entire pelvic girdle had seized up since my business issues last winter and spring. Cannot believe I did not cripple myself. What a disaster.

I am down 9.7 kilograms (weight off my backside) but am still too heavy and H/W is coming up next month. And doing "something", even if just a walk, every day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Acupuncture on Tuesday night went well. I have one more session scheduled. Piriformis is slowly loosening. My entire pelvic girdle had seized up since my business issues last winter and spring. Cannot believe I did not cripple myself. What a disaster.

I am down 9.7 kilograms (weight off my backside) but am still too heavy and H/W is coming up next month. And doing "something", even if just a walk, every day.
    Kirk, is the acupuncture the "standard" variety or are you doing the electrically stimulated acupuncture?

I'm going to a PT next week since I have burned through two chiropractors and 2 years of low back pain. Resting from the gym for the past month did nothing but make me lose conditioning.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, is the acupuncture the "standard" variety or are you doing the electrically stimulated acupuncture?

I'm going to a PT next week since I have burned through two chiropractors and 2 years of low back pain. Resting from the gym for the past month did nothing but make me lose conditioning.
    Standard issue. My place (my yoga studio) calls it "dry needling" for its marketing.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Spent the last 4 night/5 days in a cabin at Potato Creek State Park with a 2 year old and a good bit of that time it was raining. No gym equipment. Lots of baby sitting, playing "cars" and watching videos. So it was actually difficult to meet my AppleWatch goals for movement and exercise each day. I did it. Mostly by walking at the park. Sometimes just barely 'closed my rings' but I always did it. Went out to eat one night. Steaks on the grill another night. Burgers, hot dogs, even got some Chinese food.

Got home today, unpacked the truck and weighed in at 191.7#. I'm happy with that. Proof that I can eat like a normal person again without gaining weight, especially if I continue to exercise.

According to one of my health Apps, my heart health has increased from the low range of "Below Average" to the low range of "Average" so I guess that is proof enough that the past 37 days of daily workouts has done something for me.

I'd like to get into the "Above Average" range for heart health. The cardiologist may have advice on how I can do that, given the partial arterial blockage I have. My 1st consult is in 2 weeks.
    Been doing zero exercise for the past 2 weeks. Had a shortness of breath issue and made appt with cardiologist. Get results of stress test today. Sitting on my a$$ is driving me nuts but need to figure what's going on. Don't want to become a "healthy" corpse!!:oldwise:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Standard issue. My place (my yoga studio) calls it "dry needling" for its marketing.
    I am leery of self diagnosis but I'm wondering if I may have Piriformis Syndrome. I don't really have pain going down the side of my leg like sciatica. It is mostly in my low back but does migrate into my glutes also.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I got myself a calorie tracker app about a week ago. Not doing anything more complex than a 2k/day simple cap. It's not starvation but from a week of data its a lot less than I was eating. Wouldn't be surprised if my norm was north of 3500c/day.

Going okay so far. Seem to still have normal energy for my regular exercise. Does seem to mean I can't really drink though, no 700c in the budget for those two imperial stouts and glass of bourbon in front of the TV at night.
    :40oz:

Bottom line is I've been running 5-7 days a week for the better part of a decade and haven't lost the weight. It's great for cardiovascular fitness and practical capability, but I just can't outrun the eating. Some injuries are starting to stack up from running this weight around. Maybe documenting the eating and living under a budget will crack the code.

Top Bottom