The Hellcat, Springfield's Hi(er)- capacity compact.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    It says in the video they started out with a patented mag design so I'm guessing they found a way around Sigs patent

hey just used different alien technology. Its bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. They should have called it the Sig Tardis...
    T

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If I wasn't so anti Springfield due to the anti 2a shenanigans they pulled I would be interested. Will continue lusting for a p365

If all you can do is lust, you ain't hurting anybody's business.

You still mad at Ruger, S&W and Sig for their various shenanigans?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If all you can do is lust, you ain't hurting anybody's business.

You still mad at Ruger, S&W and Sig for their various shenanigans?

I backed off buying a p365 when the SAS model was announced. Will still buy the current model if I find a great deal but holding out for the new model.

As far as what you infer my selective outrage to be regarding Springfield, those other things happened before my time. Springfield is a company operating in one of the most anti 2a states and got in right in bed with them for their own shallow self interests. This just happened, they should have known better and should be made an example of. Ill throw Cheaper Than Dirt in with them as companies I will not deal with no matter what other companies may have done 20 years ago. I am not angry at Ford about the lack of air conditioning in the Model T but am angry at Chevy regarding the rust issues on my Suburban.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Springfield is pretty good at marketing. I just watched a promo video on the Hellcat over at Guns America. They do make it sound appealing.

The question for me is: do I snag a new Shield on sale at Point Blank tomorrow or hold off and shoot one of these when they become available to see if I like it?

And will the street price come down?:) $300 for a Shield vs over $500 for this probably would make the decision easy for me. Make the street price in the mid $300's and I'd really think about it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd take a S&W product over a Springfield product 9.99 times out of 10. The Shield is proven. Simple as that.

$300 on a KNOWN quality product with nice aftermarket support... Or something brand new and unknown with hardly any aftermarket?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Springfield is pretty good at marketing. I just watched a promo video on the Hellcat over at Guns America. They do make it sound appealing.

The question for me is: do I snag a new Shield on sale at Point Blank tomorrow or hold off and shoot one of these when they become available to see if I like it?

And will the street price come down?:) $300 for a Shield vs over $500 for this probably would make the decision easy for me. Make the street price in the mid $300's and I'd really think about it.

If the new Springfield model releases of the recent past are any indication, then you should be able to pick it up at a substantial discount and likely with a rebate for 3 free mags by December.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd take a S&W product over a Springfield product 9.99 times out of 10. The Shield is proven. Simple as that.

$300 on a KNOWN quality product with nice aftermarket support... Or something brand new and unknown with hardly any aftermarket?

Good point. Having owned a Shield, I am confident enough to stake my life on one.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    How do they compare in size?

Haven't seen a head-to-head, since the Hellcat just came out about 10 minutes ago :):, but they are probably about the same height with the extended mag on the Hellcat vs the regular grip on the XL. Width looks to be the same. The only major difference would be the barrel length, the XL is 3.7" vs 3.0" on the Hellcat. If Springfield follows suit on what they did with their XD-s, I'd look for a 4" model Hellcat in a few months.

I don't plan on getting a Hellcat, since I already have a P365 and a P365xl that I really like. But if they turn out to be reliable, it looks to be a great option that further obsoletes the Shield, G43 and other single-stack guns that are the same size but sorely lacking in capacity.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Competition in this market is a good thing.

These compact guns are more difficult to shoot well than their full sized versions. If folks actually shoot them much and try to become proficient, that means a bunch of these will be for sale in the classifieds.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

These compact guns are more difficult to shoot well than their full sized versions. If folks actually shoot them much and try to become proficient, that means a bunch of these will be for sale in the classifieds.

Can't speak to the Hellcat, but neither of my P365s are difficult to shoot well. In fact, it's easier to hit with either one of them than the various Glocks that I've owned, due to excellent ergonomics. The fact that these guns are specifically for concealed carry makes comparisons to full sized models irrelevant. Two different missions.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Have you shot a G43? Surprisingly easy to shoot for as small as it is. Same with the P365 (I don't yet have any time on the XL - which I hope to remedy soon)

In years past, smaller guns = harder to shoot - but I think more modern offerings are making it easier since the guns themselves are better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Can't speak to the Hellcat, but neither of my P365s are difficult to shoot well. In fact, it's easier to hit with either one of them than the various Glocks that I've owned, due to excellent ergonomics. The fact that these guns are specifically for concealed carry makes comparisons to full sized models irrelevant. Two different missions.

But of course, you are a seasoned pistol shooter. G43 was very easy to transition into for me also. The G43 cannot be shot quite as fast, due to recoil recovery, but is quite manageable shooting a bit slower, as long as you regain the proper sight picture.

This is not necessarily the case though for folks choosing these compact guns as their first primary self defense gun. New to pistol shooting folks are often concerned for their first purchase being something to not have to dress around, to fit their small hands or go into a pocket or purse. Then they often find that their inexperienced grip has to be readjusted after each shot on these small guns.

It also often takes a few range sessions for new to shooting folks to realize that, while they may be shooting OK groups, re-positioning their grip each shot is not gonna cut it if (heaven forbid) they actually ever need their pistol for real self defense. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom