• ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The backstory:
    As a lot of you know, I’m a big fan of Col. Jeff Cooper and all the Cooper-isms that have sprung from his teachings.
    Not long ago, a Cooper-era Gunsite 1911 crossed my path. I knew that it had already been to a local(ish) smith having had an issue with the grip safety… and although I really REALLY wanted this gun, I knew I’d have to sacrifice another to have it.
    I thought about it and thought about it…and came to the reasoning that since this started off as a Springfield Mil-Spec and ended up having all the enhancements done that I’d do to my own Mil-Spec…that’s what I decided to trade off.
    I loved my Mil-Spec…it was cherry and hit what I aimed at every time, eating any ammo I schlepped through it. But I wanted that Gunsite gun…so it was culled from the herd.

I have a friendly acquaintance who visits where I work fairly frequently, and I’ve taken to asking his advice on just about all things 1911…especially this gun. Why? Because he was not only one of Col. Cooper’s best friends for decades, he was extremely involved in the original Gunsite. It’s fair to say I’d take his opinion over ten others. Unfortunately, he never saw this gun before I bought it and sent it out to be fixed. More on that in a bit.

Firstly, these are the things were changed on this Mil-Spec since 1990…No way to tell which were done AT Gunsite, and which happened between leaving there and crossing my path;

• Replaced the GI guide rod with a two-piece system (which I didn’t care for)
    • Serrated the front of the slide
    • Checkered the front of the trigger guard
    • Added Novak sights
    • Replaced the trigger with a skeletonized one
    • Checkered the front strap
    • Replaced the spur hammer with an enhanced one
    • Replaced the stock grip safety with a swept beaver-tail w/ memory bump
    • Checkered the arched mainspring housing
    • Replaced the thumb safety with an ambidexterous
    • Hard chromed
    GunSite1_zps4744d7bb.jpg

Upon my maiden voyage to the range, out of multiple dozens of tries, only 2 or 3 rounds actually stripped off the mag (tried several different mags, and different ammo). The round nose FMJ were getting stuck in dead level nosed right into the feed ramp.
    Turns out there was a divot horizontally across the feed ramp (as if someone “polished” it from side to side instead of up and down.

df2978cf-937b-4b6a-b163-a49ccb0fda55_zpsaa4f2bec.jpg

I knew it was going to have to go to a smith, but I didn’t want it going back to the same one that had spot welded a fix for the grip safety it had before I bought it.
    I chose to send it to AllenM.

Every time Allen fixed one problem, another would present itself.
    For instance…upon fixing the feed ramp issue, it was evident the slide wasn’t moving fast enough…because the hard chrome treatment had gotten on the rails. Once that was resolved, when the slide moved at optimum speed, there was hammer follow…and on and on.
    I’ll let Allen show you the step by step photos (and maybe videos) and explain the progression of steps he took to fix this lemon (and trust me…I did trade away a lurved cherry gun for a LEMON)… but in the end when I got it back, I’ll say my 1911 advisor extraordinaire told me that he hasn’t seen a gun that well fitted and that well worked over in over 30 years. He was extremely impressed with Allen’s work and told me if there was ever anything he decided to do to his own guns, he was getting Allen’s contact info from me. Furthermore, he said that if there was ever a 1911 that he would (without question) buy and walk out the door with, without even asking what the price was…it’s THIS one, after Allen’s work.
    Aside from the things he changed that I asked him upfront to do, this gun returned to me with pretty much the original frame, the original slide, and all new guts.

The high points of what AllenM changed per my request:

• Putting a GI guide rod back in
    • Installing a fiber optic front sight
    • Replacing the arched mainspring housing with a flat one
    • Installing slim Grips from RAASCO

I’ll let him tell you the specifics of the rest.
    If you have any smithing that needs done, AllenM should be at the top of your troubleshooting 911 call. He’s the bombdiggity!
    Take it away, Allen…
    GunsiteGlam1_zps5e797d46.jpg

54d63244-9b4b-4f95-b287-354b31d5bc2c_zps442646a8.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I had looked for a 1911 smith to build my dream gun and after talking to Allen, he did it. My Colt/Caspian has been 100% reliable since I picked it up. He is my go to guy for all things 1911 or in need of Cerakote. The Gunsite looks good. (Allen is working on a new Super Awesome 1911 project that's close to completion.). One of these days I will head up north and let the monkey finger print up my AllenM customs.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    JG asked if I would take pics as I go and keep her "in the loop" as it were.
    So I do have a lot of pics and this was an interesting gun and how it got so messed up over the years nobody knows for certain.

I dont really know how to go through this without sounding like I am bragging on myself but I am not. So bear with me if you find this interesting at all. It was interesting to me as I went through it and trouble shot it

As soon as I picked it up and racked the slide 3 problems were obviously wrong with the gun.
    1. the Disconnector spring was WAY over tensioned
    2. the recoil spring was WAY to light I would say in the 10lb range
    3. Looking in the ejection port I could see the feed ramp was like sandpaper.

So I thought a piece of cake I took about 45 mins and addressed these issues and headed to the range to test fire it and pat myself on the back about how smart I was and how quickly I fixed this problem child......Yea the gun did run but it would still not chamber the last round out of a new Wilson mag that JG sent with the gun.
    Also the gun was shooting at least 3" too low from POA at 10 yards

I figured the extractor tension was keeping it from loading the last rounds and was contemplating what to do about POI.

So I take the gun back and next time I worked on it I adjusted the extractor and did a little polishing here and there and and back for test fire again. Now the gun ejects brass real erratically and also I have a hammer follow issue show up.

At this point I realized this was more than a simple cleanup and tune. Taking the gun completely apart and inspecting every part very closely here is what I found.

But first, Hypothesizing here for a bit. One thing I noticed is the gun had been Hard Chromed hardly any of the texture was polished of where it needed to be like the feed ramp and even the barrel throat had Hard chrome on it and not polished.
    The areas that should have shown wear like the frame rails showed hardly any wear at all.
    I speculate that this gun was sent out for chroming and never ran right after that and that is wear the problems started.

The Hammer was toast so JG agreed to a new trigger group and I figured I would polish everything up

To be cost conscience yet produce a good quality job (which never works) initially I ordered Wilson Combat Bullet proof ignition parts to retain the appearance of the hammer I was removing and commenced to polish everything.

But in the process I also noticed that the barrel was poorly fit which irks me to no end. An over sized barrel link, the longest I have ever seen was installed to make the barrel lock up into the slide. and the lugs were .020 away from the slide stop for those of you that, that means anything to. :)

At this point I have put a correct length barrel link in the gun did trigger work with the Wilson parts and polished everything up and headed to the range. I still was not happy with barrel fit but it was acceptable, barely.
    Now the gun shoots point of aim and runs pretty good but still the occasional hiccup and still has hammer follow issues.
    Barrel fit was really bugging me, extraction issues were still a problem and the hammer follow had me really peeved.

What was needed was a complete rebuild as was stated earlier when I would correct 1 issue something else would pop up. I was attributing most of the issues to the barrel now.
    Time to contact JG and discuss how far she was willing to go. I wanted to start over with a properly fit barrel and since I wanted to go that route replace all the small parts as well and make a new/better gun out of it then I could possibly do piecing things together.

She agreed and I upgraded all small parts to EGW that I could and purchased an Ed Brown Rebuild pin kit in Stainless and a Kart gunsmith fit barrel

What I ended up replacing

This is where the fun begins for me. I really like the technical aspect of fitting new barrels.

First is to fit the hood

to do that you have to determine how much material and which side to remove it from and you want to make sure the lugs are centered in the slide

.012 had to come off the hood and only one side on this barrel

Hood that is snapping into place after being fit. May seem tight but even before I get done with the gun this will start to loosen some and it will get a final polish as well.
    [video] [/video]

after the barrel goes back next I used an over sized EGW bushing that had to be fit to the barrel. I indicated it in the lathe and opened it up for the barrel and polished inside.

Now time to fit the lugs:

First to determine how much material to remove.

I use a pin gauge to measure with and this has .024 excess material in the lug area.

Using my barrel fixture I remove small amounts of material at a time and checking to make certain it is adjusted to contact the slide stop equally on both lugs.
    Nice thing about this fixture is it recreates the arch on the lugs as well. Give a nice professional job

The sound of a well fit barrel

[video] [/video]

Funny thing is that this barrel uses the same barrel link that the original barrel should have had in it except this one contacts the slide lugs and the slide stop properly. Which tells me the pin hole in the factory barrel is not drilled to spec,

So now I do a polish and trigger job on the new parts and pins and the lower is done. (Over simplified)

I polished and replaced the extractor with a new stainless one. It was a little over sized so I trimmed it down and since I would not be chroming it I polished it for a nice contrast

it and over sized firing pin stop plate

new one

old one

needed fitting as well

and to make cetrtain I had no more extraction issues I fit an EGW HD Ejector
    Old one

EGW

Its a little long

shortened and polished

I had to clearence it for the hammer

I talked Jet Girl into a fiber optic front sight, just because and re finished the rear sight with Cerakote to freshen it up also.

Glass beaded the top of he slide to remove prior handling marks.

Top right target is shooting unsuported at 15 yards other holes are from a different gun :

I kind of went through this quickly but should be mostly there :)

Last edited:

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I had looked for a 1911 smith to build my dream gun and after talking to Allen, he did it. My Colt/Caspian has been 100% reliable since I picked it up. He is my go to guy for all things 1911 or in need of Cerakote. The Gunsite looks good. (Allen is working on a new Super Awesome 1911 project that's close to completion.). One of these days I will head up north and let the monkey finger print up my AllenM customs.

I hope to test fire this "semi" secret pistol by next weekend :rockwoot:I say semi because I have been showing it to everybody I can. :)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Never met Allen, and not really a '1911 guy' (nothing against them, just prefer something different). But, based on the many 'articles' here on INGO, and seeing (pics) of the work, and knowing a bit about 1911s, handguns, and watchmaking, I'd never hesitate to have Allen work some 'gun magic' for anything I needed.

Maybe one of these days I'll send him an EDC 629, and see what he can do with that. Problem gun? Absolutely not, functions at 100%. But, there's always room for 'improvement', LOL...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Great decisions JG. Hand fitting every quality piece in a 1911 pays off.
    Allen, all I can say is DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Makes me want to spend money on my old ratty 1911s.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Allen, I have no idea what you are charging for this kind of work but IMHO it's probably not enough. There are so few people today that show the kind of attention to detail and have the skills you exhibit. I'm sure you could make a very good living building pistols and my guess would be that everything that comes out of Diamond collision shows the same attention to detail.
    Great Work.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Allen, I have no idea what you are charging for this kind of work but IMHO it's probably not enough. There are so few people today that show the kind of attention to detail and have the skills you exhibit. I'm sure you could make a very good living building pistols and my guess would be that everything that comes out of Diamond collision shows the same attention to detail.
    Great Work.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

Thanks for the kind words Charlie.

But you know I don't want to make money, I just love to fix guns:ar15:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Great Work.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&]-- [/FONT][FONT=&]GSSF member[/FONT]
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

I have been lucky enough to spend some time with Allen and watch him work. Learning all the time from him.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks for the kind words Charlie.

But you know I don't want to make money, I just love to fix guns:ar15:

Let's just hope your prices don't reflect your affection for the commercials.

Now that I've let the pot boil for a moment***,Edited my humorous attempt.

I've seen the work and know the prices of some of the work you've done. I can say your services are underpriced in comparison to any other shop I've encountered.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If I ever have to support my self by my work there will have to be an adjustment :(

Top Bottom