The government is all up in my salad, nannying my sprouts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    While at a grocery store, I was looking for sprouts (alfalfa, bean, broccoli, etc.) and found none. Which I thought was weird...not even a spot for them.
    I went to a different store on the way home, thinking I'd just pop in and grab some. None of any kind there either...but the produce guy was stocking some stuff so I asked him if I might be looking in the wrong area.
    He said, "No, we can't sell those anymore and neither can most other places."
    I asked if there was some kind of contamination recall and he said, "No, it's a permanent thing. Apparently, the FDA has done extensive testing and determined that the arsenic levels in sprouts are too high for consumption...so we can't get them or sell them anymore."
    :n00b:
    Now, I'd just seen them in another store in another town a few days before, but didn't pick any up because I wasn't going straight home and didn't think it was a big deal.
    So... I called a friend who was going and asked her to score me some of this illegal contraband...and she did (it's OK, she's a cop and knows what she's doing).

I wonder if the same people that tested the sprouts realize that it's an unavoidable naturally ocurring element in air, soil, and water... And since there's no real standard for measuring levels, wtf is a "high" level anyway?? Where are all the people becoming ill that caused this testing?? Where are all the bodies hitting the floor??

FREE THE SPROUTS!!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I call BS on the employees "info". While I've had some issues finding sprouts myself, at times, I just chalk that up to the time of year. My local Meijer had them this weekend. High arsenic levels come from ground contamination, primarily, (often from using old cotton fields to grow crops and fruits. The old fields have high levels of arsenic). Sprouts never see soil when they're being produced. The only type of sprouts I know of that may have a heightened level of arsenic are Brussels Sprouts, and they're not even the same.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I call BS on the employees "info". While I've had some issues finding sprouts myself, at times, I just chalk that up to the time of year. My local Meijer had them this weekend. High arsenic levels come from ground contamination, primarily, (often from using old cotton fields to grow crops and fruits. The old fields have high levels of arsenic). Sprouts never see soil when they're being produced. The only type of sprouts I know of that may have a heightened level of arsenic are Brussels Sprouts, and they're not even the same.
    A short while back, I was looking for the drain lids that you put on a jar to do your own sprouts. Didn't find any locally, and sort of forgot about it. Looks like it's time to hit the net and grab a few anyhow.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A short while back, I was looking for the drain lids that you put on a jar to do your own sprouts. Didn't find any locally, and sort of forgot about it. Looks like it's time to hit the net and grab a few anyhow.

Yeah, we used to have a set, too. Lost them in a move years ago and never got around to replacing them. It's so easy to do. Try looking at a local Whole Foods for them (and seeds), they usually have them. I just buy my sprouts when I need them. Meijer usually has what I need. Love them on a turkey sandwich!

nettinyahoo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    South Bend
    It might be BS but I heard that sprouts harbor bacteria that is difficult to kill in commercial operations. Guess I need to grow my own too, missing the sprouts!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Love them on a turkey sandwich!
    With mustard!
    I grow my own. It is very easy and you can get a larger variety than you find in the stores. 4-5 days from seeds to sprouts
    Yeah, I was going to order a few lids for my jars and a few different kinds of sprout seeds to get started...before I remembered I don't have my new credit card yet to do it. Last week, I joined the members only "credit card fraud victim" club.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I second this. arsenic in plants and mercury in fish increase as the life form ages.

There's got to be a source around here because Mad Anthony has them on the Thai Yardbird sangwich. :drool:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    So who here on INGO grows their own sprouts? I've been looking into it. If you use beans, do you have to buy the ones for sprouting? i always have dried organic beans in the pantry and would like to just try some of those first. I have heard not to use kidney beans.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    So who here on INGO grows their own sprouts? I've been looking into it. If you use beans, do you have to buy the ones for sprouting? i always have dried organic beans in the pantry and would like to just try some of those first. I have heard not to use kidney beans.

I've been doing it since posting about it...with good success. I buy spouting seeds.

Top Bottom