The Funny Picture/Video Thread, 15th Edition: Be more like Coleman.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I saw some of this on X, and unfortunately, I can’t find one of the most excellent comebacks to Matt Walsh, but one of them pointed out that we had just fire bombed 60+ Japanese cities and burned them to the ground, and we killed more people in Tokyo than died in one of the atomic bomb blast. Stepping up to the atomic bomb was a chang in scale, but not a change in effect. We went from using Molotov cocktails to a flamethrower.

Somewhere, we have my dad’s diary from him from his time in the Pacific in WWII, and he made an entry on the day that he heard that were dropping atomic bomb on Japan. I don’t remember the exact words, but it was basically “HOORAY!”

1713880177777.png
    I knew very little about the fire bombing of Tokyo until I read this book.....To The White Sea by James Dickey....it was an eye opener...my grandfather had been in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy...he'd been sent home from Italy spring of 1945 for a "break" and was delivering mail at Fort Knox when we dropped the bombs....the reason he was getting a "break" is because he was slated to go to the Pacific....he said he'd been just like Ernie Pyle and would not have lasted a week over there.....

He gave me this story in about 1984 when in my late teens I made the mistake of saying, in his presence, "I don't know why we dropped nukes on civilians"...to his credit he just told me that story and said, "I know you like to read books son...and I am confident you'll read enough books to know exactly why we dropped nukes on them SOBs"

And I did....about three years later...

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    People making the claim (that dropping was wrong), are making that statement completely divorced from the times when it was done.
    Put that person where several people in their life have been killed, and they've been fighting someone in jungles, and now they're slated to storm the beach.
    Might affect their decision.
    Not only that, but even though this concept is hard for some people to understand, those bombs likely saved more lives than they killed. War is never a simple thing.

Also the majority of nukes are not magic bombs that can destroy a country and keep it uninhabitable for centuries like you see in popular media like Fallout. If that was the case, Nevada would be completely devoid of life. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are more habitable currently than a lot of liberal cities. You can actually visit one of the test sites and see the craters these weapons made. They even trained the Apollo astronauts in some of them.

Top Bottom