The DIY Garage in Indy...anyone ever use it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    A few months ago, I was told about the DIY Garage in Indy...on 42nd Street, I think.

Anyone ever used them? It is basically a former service shop that is now open to the public. You can rent time (by the hour) on a lift if you don't want to lay on the ground. Or just a flat work bay if you don't have your own garage at home. You can also use their tools or bring your own. Lighting looks good, too.

Their website is http://diygarageindy.com

The older I get, the more attractive this looks, but it's a long haul from God's country. :): Would love first-hand experiences with this place, if you have them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looks like a nice shop area. Basic tool collection. Air, too.

Retiree hours. I'd only get an hour or two of work done before the lock up for the day, unless I take a day off. My best work time is 8PM - midnight.

Like the idea, though. Access to a lift and specialty tools would be worth it for some projects.

I haven't seen the idea in Indy, but I've seen "garage condos" in other areas. Basically, you rent shop space to do with as you please, and then there is a common shop full of tools and equipment the "owners" all buy into and share.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    This is the first I’ve heard of it. It’s great for those who don’t have a garage, but most of us do our own work because we want to know exactly what is done and how, and because we’re too cheap to pay someone else to do it. I don’t see too many of those saving a buck to do it themselves paying for a place to do it.

Also, I’m very particular about where things are. In my garage and at work as soon as something is finished it goes back where it was. Having to work in other peoples conditions would take some getting used to.

All in all Id say it’s a great business idea. Some guys are older and they don’t want to roll around on the ground. A lot of people have friends or family with garages that will let them use it.

So if anyone is going to use this... pm me, you bring beer and some steaks I’ll get drunk and cook while you use the garage. We’ll call it even.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I like the concept, but I have no need for it. However, I would be wary about the location. I would also be concerned about others working next to me and requesting assistance or distracting me while I'm trying to work.
    Just give them the finger. Why should I waste my time. Helping friends, no problem. Complete strangers ......

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like the concept, but I have no need for it. However, I would be wary about the location. I would also be concerned about others working next to me and requesting assistance or distracting me while I'm trying to work.
    That is a bit shaky out there but as with anything we do inside 465 these days risk is always there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Better bring more than a steak and a 6 pack. You’ll be here a while :)
    It's cool. I've got a stack of coolers, a sleeping bag and a tent! Well, assuming you'd be done before winter sets in. I assume I'll have access to a shower. Indoor bathroom preferred but not a deal breaker. :lmfao:

Edit: I will need a wifi connection since I telework. ;)

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    One of the perks of being in the Army was the Auto Skills Center on most bases. Rent a lift bay and use their tools. Last time I went a few months ago the rate for a lift bay was up to $10/hour. I saved thousands of dollars over the years working on my own car over paying a mechanic. It was especially valuable when I didn’t have a garage at my quarters.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks for the input, fellas!

I do hate the idea of dropping some of the $$$ I am saving by doing it myself on a place to do it, but it's more the use of the lift that facinates me. On the trucks, it's not bad sliding under them, but I swear the damn mini-van gets lower by an 1" each time I take on a self-service repair. :):

And yes, I do have a decent garage, jack, stands and all that jazz, but at a certain point in a big man's life, he is tempted to say screw it, I want this job to be easier, even if it costs more.

Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me for this:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    SOB. me and a buddy from highschool had that concept years and years ago.
    That's how Tom & Ray from NPR Car Talk fame started over 40 years ago.

Ray taught science[8] in Bennington, Vermont, for a few years before returning to Cambridge in 1973. He and Tom then opened a do-it-yourself repair shop named Hacker's Haven.[9] The shop rented space and equipment to people who were trying to fix their own cars, but it was not profitable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And oddly enough, I didnt mind when they would bust out laughing, but I cant listen to a Bob and Tom album because their constant laughter (at stuff that frankly sometimes wasnt THAT funny) is too distracting.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I bought my M3 from them in 2019. It's a clean, secure facility that I wouldn't hesitate using. No one from the neighborhood around the facility is going to bother you. Don't be afraid to use their services because of the neighborhood for goodness sakes...

Top Bottom