THE CZickness XLVIII....."The Holidays are Coming" edition...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning Everyone!

@T-DOGG Nice job on the new 1911s! Thanks for the write up and info. I saved the Brownell’s link for future reference. The trigger on my Citadel was my first and so far only trigger job attempt. It turned out ok. It needs a new hammer and sear that more closely match mil spec to be great. My goal was a crisp 4lb and I came close. It’s not as crisp “breaking glass” as I hoped but that’s in the Citadel hammer/sear design. Still a good trigger, just not perfect. Maybe some day I’ll put a EGW hammer and sear kit in it and make it 3-3.5lbs. But when I get around to putting time and money in another trigger I think the P-01 will be the priority.
    Churchmouse put that EGW ignition kit in the DW A2 and it's the bee's knees. That's probably the route I would go also.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Churchmouse put that EGW ignition kit in the DW A2 and it's the bee's knees. That's probably the route I would go also.
    I've used EGW ignition kits in several 1911s and they've always been top notch. My tuning of the springs is inconsistent, but the parts in the guns are great quality.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah, I'm trying to get the address for TexKev since I don't and won't use PP any more. My site supporter status ends on 1/23 and I need to get a check to him before then.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I've used EGW ignition kits in several 1911s and they've always been top notch. My tuning of the springs is inconsistent, but the parts in the guns are great quality.
    EGW, Cylinder&Slide and the AllenM build is all Nighthawk parts.

One thing I found in my very VERY limited experience with springs is to not bend the entire leg but the top 2/3rds or so. Not sure if that is factual or coincidental.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Something I did that really helped me with adjusting the sear spring legs, was to measure the distance between the sear leg and disco leg using millimeters on a ruler as a reference point. For instance, if I was adjusting the disco leg and had 32 ounces of pressure and had a distance of 2mm between those legs, I would bend the disco leg as needed and remeasure the distance. I would then remeasure the pressure and get an idea of how much pressure 1mm of distance created. I was able to get adjustments down to exactly 20oz for each leg on both Tisas guns creating the overall pressure of 40oz and resulting in pull weights of 3lbs 4oz on the .45 and 3lbs 5oz on the 9mm.

I also figured out that the total pressure of the disco leg and sear leg combined was equal to about 75-78% of what the actual trigger pull weight would be. I'll show that below for some more nerd fun. These numbers do not match the Jack Weigand article, but I believe my SA Garrison was close to matching it.

Tisas .45
    Factory:
    Trigger pull weight 89oz (5lbs 9oz)
    Disconnector & Sear pressure 70oz
    78.6%

1st Adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight 34oz (2lbs 2oz)
    Disconnector & Sear pressure 26oz
    76.4%

2nd Adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight 52oz (3lbs 4oz)
    Disconnector & Sear pressure 40oz
    76.9%

Tisas 9mm
    Factory:
    Trigger pull weight 71.7oz (4lbs 7.7oz)
    Disconnector & Sear pressure 54oz
    75.3%

1st Adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight 53oz (3lbs 5oz)
    75.4%

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Something I did that really helped me with adjusting the sear spring legs, was to measure the distance between the sear leg and disco leg using millimeters on a ruler as a reference point. For instance, if I was adjusting the disco leg and had 32 ounces of pressure and had a distance of 2mm between those legs, I would bend the disco leg as needed and remeasure the distance. I would then remeasure the pressure and get an idea of how much pressure 1mm of distance created. I was able to get adjustments down to exactly 20oz for each leg on both Tisas guns creating the overall pressure of 40oz and resulting in pull weights of 3lbs 4oz on the .45 and 3lbs 5oz on the 9mm.

I also figured out that the total pressure of the disco leg and sear leg combined was equal to about 75-78% of what the actual trigger pull weight would be. I'll show that below for some more nerd fun. These numbers do not match the Jack Weigand article, but I believe my SA Garrison was close to matching it.

Tisas .45
    Factory:
    Trigger pull weight 89oz (5lbs 9oz)
    Disconnector & Sear pressure 70oz
    78.6%

1st Adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight 34oz (2lbs 2oz)
    Disconnector & Sear pressure 26oz
    76.4%

2nd Adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight 52oz (3lbs 4oz)
    76.9%

Tisas 9mm
    Factory:
    Trigger pull weight 71.7oz (4lbs 7.7oz)
    Disconnector & Sear pressure 54oz
    75.3%

1st Adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight 53oz (3lbs 5oz)
    75.4%
    Some days I wish we were neighbors and hung out in your garage.

Other days? I am glad I don't.

:stickpoke:

That is interesting though. I never checked the "before" weights.

What about the SA? Similar?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Some days I wish we were neighbors and hung out in your garage.

Other days? I am glad I don't.

:stickpoke:

That is interesting though. I never checked the "before" weights.

What about the SA? Similar?
    I am what I am. :)

SA Garrison measurements were written down somewhere, but I think I threw the notes away. Here's what I know. Percentage is way lower than Tisas guns.

Factory: ?
    Previous adjustment: 3lbs 14.5oz
    Disconnector & Sear: ?

Next adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight: 43oz (2lbs 11oz)
    Disconnector & Sear: 24oz
    55.8%

Final adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight: 51oz (3lbs 3oz)
    Disconnector & Sear: 28oz
    54.9%

My conclusion would be that the SA has more resistance than the Tisas when the hammer and mainspring are introduced into the equation.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I am what I am. :)

SA Garrison measurements were written down somewhere, but I think I threw the notes away. Here's what I know. Percentage is way lower than Tisas guns.

Factory: ?
    Previous adjustment: 3lbs 14.5oz
    Disconnector & Sear: ?

Next adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight: 43oz (2lbs 11oz)
    Disconnector & Sear: 24oz
    55.8%

Final adjustment:
    Trigger pull weight: 51oz (3lbs 3oz)
    Disconnector & Sear: 28oz
    54.9%

My conclusion would be that the SA has more resistance than the Tisas when the hammer and mainspring are introduced into the equation.
    Difference in the hammer hooks?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom