THE CZickness XLVIII....."The Holidays are Coming" edition...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I find it interesting because it's very similar to the European favorite of a french press coffee, but adding a filter and less mess. It's simple, it's relatively inexpensive and you can brew in it many, many different ways. If you like experimenting with various variables (coffee grind, steep time, water temp, coffee to water ratio) to get the "perfect" cup for you, it can be a lot of fun. If you don't want to mess with these things, it will not be right for you.

The inventor has his own video on brewing with it, which is much different than the video James does for his ultimate brew method using the device:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I respect the art, but im not very picky with my coffee. I'm happy with or without it. I do appreciate how involved it is and the subculture that goes with it.

I got bit with a little coffee mania after having stayed at a really nice hotel that had the smoothest, richest tasting coffee I ever had. I've always liked coffee, but used to drink it with creamer and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Started drinking it black a few years ago and prefer it that way, when I can get a good cup. Most coffee that I get when I go out is horrid. Usually weak and not very tasty. A standard drip coffee can be good, using the right beans. I've started using a mix of a cinnamon/hazelnut medium roast coffee and Italian dark roast coffee, freshly ground, with the right ratio of water. That has worked pretty well for me in my cheap little drip brewer and I just tried the same in the Aeropress with pretty decent results. I need to tweak it, but it wasn't bad.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I love that energy. It really makes me want to give it a shot. Even my pallette knows the difference between good and bad coffee.

Right now my wife is going through a bag of Starbucks expresso coffee in our ninja. It's pretty decent, but nothing to write home about. Speaking of which. Maybe I will have a cup this morning. :coffee:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I love that energy. It really makes me want to give it a shot. Even my pallette knows the difference between good and bad coffee.

Right now my wife is going through a bag of Starbucks expresso coffee in our ninja. It's pretty decent, but nothing to write home about. Speaking of which. Maybe I will have a cup this morning. :coffee:

Honestly my journey has cost me a ton of money with not quite the results I had hoped for. I have bought several coffee makers of different varieties, tried tons of different types of coffees and even multiple grinders. I have easily spent 1k or so in the last few years chasing the "perfect cup". I haven't got there yet, but I'm fairly happy with what I've been making lately in my cheap little drip brewer with the mix I posted above. I figured I'd play around a little bit with this blend in the Aeropress as it's very easy to control the variables. Hoping to find something a little closer to perfection. The nice thing with this is you can supposedly make "espresso like" coffee that you can add frothed/steamed milk to for a close to cafe type of experience. I'm curious to try this to see if a little heated half and half added to a strong brew is worthwhile or not.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Honestly my journey has cost me a ton of money with not quite the results I had hoped for. I have bought several coffee makers of different varieties, tried tons of different types of coffees and even multiple grinders. I have easily spent 1k or so in the last few years chasing the "perfect cup". I haven't got there yet, but I'm fairly happy with what I've been making lately in my cheap little drip brewer with the mix I posted above. I figured I'd play around a little bit with this blend in the Aeropress as it's very easy to control the variables. Hoping to find something a little closer to perfection. The nice thing with this is you can supposedly make "espresso like" coffee that you can add frothed/steamed milk to for a close to cafe type of experience. I'm curious to try this to see if a little heated half and half added to a strong brew is worthwhile or not.
    Yes it is. I have a frother. I take the cream add caramel syrup to it and some cinnamon. It's just a nice little treat every once in a while.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yes it is. I have a frother. I take the cream add caramel syrup to it and some cinnamon. It's just a nice little treat every once in a while.

Oh I know the occasional cafe style treat is worthwhile, just not sure the concentrated coffee you can brew in an Aeropress will make a good enough base for such a drink. I'm guessing the answer will be yes, as I've made some pretty tasty coffee drinks with Keurig brewed coffee and Keurig coffee is pretty terrible... :):

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Not to mention all of the contamination from herbicides used year after year to control weeds and panels that become damaged in storms leaking toxic chemicals. Wildlife will be impacted by loss of habitat as well. Our property is going to have about 1300 acres of panels near it...we will be surrounded on three sides based on the map I recently saw shared.
    Where are you located? I’m just off of 39N on 400S…

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Morning folks. It’s Friday! Going to buy a snow blower attachment for our Wheel Horse later today. So I’ll be excited for lots of snow this winter, but we won’t get any…
    I would love to have the snow blower attachment for my Kubota 3030 but the last time I checked it was over $6000…

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Oh I know the occasional cafe style treat is worthwhile, just not sure the concentrated coffee you can brew in an Aeropress will make a good enough base for such a drink. I'm guessing the answer will be yes, as I've made some pretty tasty coffee drinks with Keurig brewed coffee and Keurig coffee is pretty terrible... :):
    Agreed. I couldn't ever get behind a keurig. I appreciate it when that's the coffee available but I figure if I'm going to put the time into making a cup, I want a adecent cup.... ok maybe I'm a little Pickler than I thought haha

This areopress sounds great.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Finished timing the Manhattan last night, was reassembling it to go out and shoot a bit and broke the trigger/bolt spring. I get this sometimes with old guns where something else breaks when you are repairing them. This part has some commonality with other revolvers and won't require as much work as making a new hand out an Uberti replacement.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Where are you located? I’m just off of 39N on 400S…
    We are northeast of Knox. There is a 1300 acre project planned that will span from the area near Norton Pkg to 500 E to 25N. Let me see if I can save the map and message it to you. It makes me sick every time I look at it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom