THE CZickness XLIX....Tackling 2023 with CZ style...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I’m a 1911 guy. It’s what I learned to shoot on. But I have found myself in a rare season of life without a 45. My 2.5 1911s I currently have are 9mm and 38 Super. It feels a bit rebellious/backwards to only have 1911s in 9mm/38 but get something CZish in 45! But then again, if I want a 45 maybe I should hold out for another 1911. If only I could just buy them all! But… I am due for a mid life crisis soon!

(note to self: stop drinking evening coffee)
    First, never stop evening coffee.
    Secondly, with what you are describing I think that I would now lean more toward the Witness. Like others have stated you don't have a bad decision here.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    @Firehawk I really, really liked my Witness, it was my first pistol in 45 and purchased because I was wanting a cheap(ish) workshop gun and am a cheapskate and did not want to spend more at the time for a 1911. Also very happy it stayed in the family where I can visit it now and then. However, I am loving its replacement the 97b and my Springfield RO Target is a great shooter also.

I do not have a 75B and will be looking to add one to my collection at some point, just is not a priority at this time but if a deal pops up….

BUT if I was going for the 75 I would go just a little more and get a new one for $495

I say just go Marie Kondo on this: fondle both and whichever gives you the most joy buy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd get a 1911 in .45 then. I cut my teeth on the forbidden fruit called G**** and while I had some 1911's here and there, they never really grew on me until we lost Churchmouse. Now I have 4 of them and no forbidden fruit. I see why CM loved the 1911, it's a fun platform for the tinkering man.
    The 1911 is a craftsman's platform. Think of them as the canvas of true gunsmith and metal workers. The 1911 is still embraced because it speaks to a time when skills were built with practice and attention to detail.

In an age of injection molded guns assembled by moderately skilled assembly line techs, the 1911 keeps us grounded as to what it really means to be skilled in something.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What is a good starting point for a full size stainless 1911 build? Maybe Commander too. I'd want a forged frame and standard profile slide with either no bill board or one that could be removed. Probably would want it in .45, but 9mm might be a choice too.

If starting this type of a build, what would everyone start with?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    What is a good starting point for a full size stainless 1911 build? Maybe Commander too. I'd want a forged frame and standard profile slide with either no bill board or one that could be removed. Probably would want it in .45, but 9mm might be a choice too.

I really like how my SA Garrison turned out. It has accepted upgrades well and is very smooth and enjoyable to shoot. I think it offers a good value for the money and has clean lines.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon

This is an excellent question. This seems like a question that could generate a whole lot of answers. It may also depend on how much money you are wanting/willing to sink into this. This could easily be it's own thread.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Good late morning fellas. Took a pk lastnight and slept like a rock.

Been busy past few days. Was able to spend some time with a CZicko, the mouse family, and even spent a few with AllenM. Been hacking and taking old parts off the jeep also. The front of the jeep is on jack stands waiting on a plethora of part replacements. Probably get started on that later today or tomorrow.

If I didn't have a CZ75, or a 1911,or a 45 in any platform, I think I would go a CZ75 first, 1911 in 45 second, and then save my pennies for a CZ97. Wouldn't bother with a Witness but that is just me, I am a picky f'r. :twocents: YMMV but the question was asked.

Nice looking grips Spicy :yesway:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Even before your post, I was thinking about starting “legacy” projects for my kids like CM and was having the same consideration.

My thought has been to keep an eye out for the previous generation SA Loaded/range officers. All that would matter would be slide to frame fit as everything else would be changed.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I’m a 1911 guy. It’s what I learned to shoot on. But I have found myself in a rare season of life without a 45. My 2.5 1911s I currently have are 9mm and 38 Super. It feels a bit rebellious/backwards to only have 1911s in 9mm/38 but get something CZish in 45! But then again, if I want a 45 maybe I should hold out for another 1911. If only I could just buy them all! But… I am due for a mid life crisis soon!

(note to self: stop drinking evening coffee)
    Wasn’t the 1911 originally chambered in 38super?

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

Even before your post, I was thinking about starting “legacy” projects for my kids like CM and was having the same consideration.

My thought has been to keep an eye out for the previous generation SA Loaded/range officers. All that would matter would be slide to frame fit as everything else would be changed.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Had a short discussion with Allen, and if you're going full custom, get a blank frame and slide to start, some are very reasonably priced. If you go with a factory built gun planning to change out all the internals and remove roll marks it will save you some money in the long run. Just wanted to throw that out there..
    A call to Allen on this might be beneficial :dunno:

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Had a short discussion with Allen, and if you're going full custom, get a blank frame and slide to start, some are very reasonably priced. If you go with a factory built gun planning to change out all the internals and remove roll marks it will save you some money in the long run. Just wanted to throw that out there..
    A call to Allen on this might be beneficial :dunno:

I have a Fusion frame and slide build that came out well.

As I’ve casually looked lately, availability is not good for parts though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom