THE CZickness XLIX....Tackling 2023 with CZ style...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good morning folks! It’s Friday. Excited for the weekend, work has been frustrating this week. Did lots of learning, so that’s good. But it will be nice to step away for a couple days. Probably going to do some more adventure driving with the fam this weekend. Trying out the gear we have and seeing what kinda changes we may need to make.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Every once in awhile you trip over a rock and say, I should have something nicer… Then after some more thought, the guilt sets in. And then you step back and think, what am I trying to do here? My life has always been about keeping older things alive. I’ve made a career of it. I’ve always driven junk, not because I had to, but because I get a weird satisfaction from it. There are times the occasional repairs are frustrating, but as we always say… A pair and a spare. Lol. I’ve always had an extra vehicle around just in case.

In our current case, my wife has a little Pontiac vibe that gets excellent fuel economy and it’s mechanically a Toyota. Paid cash for it. Her “truck” our Yukon XL, mainly sits during this weather. I don’t want to take the risk with it in salt. Paid cash for it. And I’ve got my s10, which does what I need it to. Paid cash. And I’ve got my 1970 Lemans as my main backup. Which it’s had to fill that role before. Sometimes in negative degree weather. All cash build.

I’m gonna keep plugging away. But I will be spending some of what I was going to on a different rig on some Yukon repairs and upgrades this year.
    Do what works for you. Having four vehicles and two drivers, doesn't exactly leave you short.

Your skill set provides vehicle options that may be less practical for other people. Vehicles are so complex today, the average Joe or Jane trying to keep a 20 year old vehicle running properly isn't always realistic nor is having backup vehicles.

Sounds like you are fortunate in that you guys don't have lengthy work commutes or have a job that demands travel.

I'd say you should the keep the old stuff alive for as long as you have the energy of youth to keep them going!

All that being said, Mrs. mcapo wants a new(er) vehicle....I have 115k on my Jeep and have every intention of it seeing at least 250k before I replace it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Good morning folks! It’s Friday. Excited for the weekend, work has been frustrating this week. Did lots of learning, so that’s good. But it will be nice to step away for a couple days. Probably going to do some more adventure driving with the fam this weekend. Trying out the gear we have and seeing what kinda changes we may need to make.
    Tell me again, what is a weekend? I know I have heard the term before?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

My vehicular philosophy has always hinged on the wife having an absolutely reliable vehicle. After that, anything goes. My motley collection has morphed over the years to include a couple of fresh vehicles that will take me through retirement but there’s still the ‘69 Spider and ‘98 BMW to keep life interesting.

While my days of doing transmission swaps alone at night on cool concrete (that’s cement for you Canadians) are behind me, I still enjoy rebuilding old stuff to extend its life. This year will see the ‘98 restored to daily driver status and it will be the spare for the family. The ‘69 will get an interior refresh that includes a new dash with custom aluminum replacing the wood sections similar to what was in the Abarth Spiders in the ‘70s. The ‘69 is also due for a timing belt and while in there, I need to refresh the black crinkle coat on the cam housings.

I totally get the joy to be had in driving something that only works because you made it work.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    After lots and lots of learning this week, which basically mean’s having to do things over and over and over again… Had a few parts fiascos to deal with.. I was able to finally get the Dana 44 gear set done. Today is putting it in the truck.

All the fussing was worth this almost perfect gear pattern. Backlash came in perfect. Pinion preload turning torque came in perfect. Happy happy happy.

04149CD5-BE9A-4C6D-BA3A-05DA600E5D02.jpeg

761F7731-6A73-4D95-80E2-39D1F9D616AE.jpeg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    After lots and lots of learning this week, which basically mean’s having to do things over and over and over again… Had a few parts fiascos to deal with.. I was able to finally get the Dana 44 gear set done. Today is putting it in the truck.

All the fussing was worth this almost perfect gear pattern. Backlash came in perfect. Pinion preload turning torque came in perfect. Happy happy happy.

View attachment 252530

View attachment 252532
    Beautifully done, Sir!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

View attachment 252530

View attachment 252532
    That is a work of art.

The beauty of mechanical perfection.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    @gmcttr

7:40 am?

Everything Ok?

All good. Cat woke me up at 6am to be petted and snuggle and groom. By the time she left, my bladder said it was time to get up.

You haven't been married for a while. I can tell. It's two days to do what SWMBO wants.

Ignoring that SWMBO rule may have played a part in my 2 divorces.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

View attachment 252530

View attachment 252532
    Wow that's nice looking.
    Did the gears in my Tundra, one and only time I've messed with them and I was a nervous as I've ever been. Still going though.
    Do we have a knock on wood emoji?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Morning folks! :coffee:

My vehicular philosophy has always hinged on the wife having an absolutely reliable vehicle. After that, anything goes. My motley collection has morphed over the years to include a couple of fresh vehicles that will take me through retirement but there’s still the ‘69 Spider and ‘98 BMW to keep life interesting.

While my days of doing transmission swaps alone at night on cool concrete (that’s cement for you Canadians) are behind me, I still enjoy rebuilding old stuff to extend its life. This year will see the ‘98 restored to daily driver status and it will be the spare for the family. The ‘69 will get an interior refresh that includes a new dash with custom aluminum replacing the wood sections similar to what was in the Abarth Spiders in the ‘70s. The ‘69 is also due for a timing belt and while in there, I need to refresh the black crinkle coat on the cam housings.

I totally get the joy to be had in driving something that only works because you made it work.
    I want my wife to have a reliable vehicle as well. She has a Chevy Equinox and it's been a great car for her. I'm not worried about what I drive. Two old Jeeps and an old s10. Usually one of them runs. Motorcycle and El Camino for nice days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom