The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Is that a fat joke?
    Nope, physics. Paradoxically, top is relevant to perspective. What if you're inverted?
    467ba965fcbb37154d4f5464c387ccf6.jpg

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Listen -- if ANYONE is in the mood for a/another AR15 - and you miss THIS deal -- that's on you.

This is a crazy great deal. That rifle is $1000 weapon ALL DAY LONG. Almost 1/2 price - is nuts.!>!!

Get cha some
    Got in on the $499 BF deal...just need my FFL to work out shipping details. All in I'll be around $600.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Got in on the $499 BF deal...just need my FFL to work out shipping details. All in I'll be around $600.

Ordered mine about 10 days ago. Have yet to see a shipping notice. Called Friday and the gentleman said they had everything they need to ship (FFL and $$), but that they're running behind a little :(.

Question for the precision shooters here - Standard talks up their barrel-making technique as described below. I have some accurate hammer-forged barrels. Is their description below accurate, or just marketing?

From Standard:
    "The STD-15 barrels are deep hole drilled from barrel quality steel; all other manufacturers make their AR platform sporting rifles from hammer forged barrels. While the hammer forging process provides a denser steel barrel, unfortunately, the molecular structure of the steel has been altered. Stress relieving the hammer forged barrels will somewhat mitigate this issue, but the consistency of the molecular structure of the steel will always be inconsistent, resulting in less than ideal accuracy through various barrel heat ranges. Bar stock steel that is deep hole drilled then button rifled is the only way to produce a highly accurate barrel which will provide constant accuracy throughout the operating heat temperatures of the barrel. Using deep hole drilled barstock barrels is the only method to produce barrels with consistent molecular structures. This is the reason why all highly accurate rifles use deep hole drilled barstock barrels."

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ordered mine about 10 days ago. Have yet to see a shipping notice. Called Friday and the gentleman said they had everything they need to ship (FFL and $$), but that they're running behind a little :(.

Question for the precision shooters here - Standard talks up their barrel-making technique as described below. I have some accurate hammer-forged barrels. Is their description below accurate, or just marketing?

From Standard:
    "The STD-15 barrels are deep hole drilled from barrel quality steel; all other manufacturers make their AR platform sporting rifles from hammer forged barrels. While the hammer forging process provides a denser steel barrel, unfortunately, the molecular structure of the steel has been altered. Stress relieving the hammer forged barrels will somewhat mitigate this issue, but the consistency of the molecular structure of the steel will always be inconsistent, resulting in less than ideal accuracy through various barrel heat ranges. Bar stock steel that is deep hole drilled then button rifled is the only way to produce a highly accurate barrel which will provide constant accuracy throughout the operating heat temperatures of the barrel. Using deep hole drilled barstock barrels is the only method to produce barrels with consistent molecular structures. This is the reason why all highly accurate rifles use deep hole drilled barstock barrels."

Hammered, buttoned or cut rifling.

Too many variables in the process to say one is inherently better than the other.

JP is button. Krieger is cut. Both produce accurate barrels. I bought a Proof recently that is cut.

Cut is best - except when its not....

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have some accurate hammer-forged barrels. Is their description below accurate, or just marketing?
    Opening a can of worms here.

In VERY general terms.

Hammer forged equals denser steel and better wear resistance. Typically has less accuracy potential. Love my HF'ed AR barrels and have found their accuracy to be fairly good.

Button rifling does create internal stresses as well and needs to be properly stress relieved. Is not generally considered to have the accuracy potential of single point cut rifling. However some of the best benchrest barrels are button rifled.

Single point cut rifling is known to produce great accuracy potential and is an older more expensive method.

I would call their claim somewhat true if the button rifled barrel is properly done by a quality barrel manufacturer and somewhat marketing BS as a good HF'ed barrel certainly will have more than adequate accuracy and a longer life expectancy than a button rifled barrel.

Again, this is VERY generalized info. Many other factors will play heavily on life span, accuracy, etc.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

In VERY general terms.

Hammer forged equals denser steel and better wear resistance. Typically has less accuracy potential. Love my HF'ed AR barrels and have found their accuracy to be fairly good.

Button rifling does create internal stresses as well and needs to be properly stress relieved. Is not generally considered to have the accuracy potential of single point cut rifling. However some of the best benchrest barrels are button rifled.

Single point cut rifling is know to produce great accuracy potential and is an older more expensive method.

I would call their claim somewhat true if the button rifled barrel is properly done by a quality barrel manufacturer and somewhat marketing BS as a good HF'ed barrel certainly will have more than adequate accuracy and a longer life expectancy than a button rifled barrel.

Again, this is VERY generalized info. Many other factors will play heavily on life span, accuracy, etc.

My answer was shorter….

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

In VERY general terms.

Single point cut rifling is know to produce great accuracy potential and is an older more expensive method.

My answer was shorter….

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    RIP Geoffrey, kids today will never understand your glory.
    One year we had a number of medical bills, and Christmas was in jeopardy. So I took a part time job working for Geoffrey. I started work in October, worked till the end of December. I made enough to help pay down those bills and make sure the kid had a Christmas.

I was a bit sad when Toys'R'Us closed here in the US.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom