The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I was thinking of him when I posted as well.

Also, anyone setup an NFA trust? I've seen that Marc Halata is the guy if one wants to set one up. Was just wondering how that affects filing and how tough it is to add people and items to the trust. Can people be easily added later after the Trust is created? I need to check out Halata's website.

Edit: I sent Halata a message via his website with some questions.
    @Aszerigan makes the suppressor purchase / tax stamp application process almost too easy. While you items are in jail, he will even allow you to make conjugal visits at his range.

I chose to go the Trust route and used Marc Halata to set it up. Again, a process that is almost too easy.

Adding items to the Trust is as simple as updating your Schedule A which lists all the items in the Trust. You cannot add NFA items to this schedule until you have the tax stamp for that item.

My understanding of adding Trustees to the Trust requires amending the Trust, having it signed and notarized, and submitting fingerprints for the new Trustees, then waiting for the all clear before the new Trustees can use the stuff in the Trust. Also, any new items added must include fingerprints for all Trustees. Marc Halata prepares any Trust amendments as part of the cost you pay to him to set up the original Trust.

Successor Trustees can also be added (or removed) by amending the Trust. These people (this person) is responsible for executing the distribution of Trust items upon the death of the Trustee. They do not need to provide fingerprints.

Beneficiaries are the people who the Trustee wants to inherit the stuff in the Trust. Beneficiaries can be added (or removed) by amending the Trust.

The whole idea behind the Trust is that NFA items can be passed down to the beneficiaries without having to pay for another tax stamp. All they need to do is submit fingerprints and wait for the all clear.

Yeah, a whole lot of legal mumbo jumbo just to save some money in the future. Also, time is apparently added to the review process ... @jagee and I submitted paperwork in the same time frame for the same can ... his has been approved and I'm waiting to hear back.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Been looking at selling my P-07 and picking up one with a threaded barrel, or just picking up a P10C optics ready, suppressor ready while they are cheap.Would love a P01 with threaded barrel but they are currently going for big $$$. Last I looked p10c was about $450 new to my door! Wanting to fondle and maybe shoot one soon. The Canick tactical may also be on that list.
    How about under $400 to your FFL?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    How about under $400 to your FFL?

No threaded barrel, this is the one I’m looking at (there was one cheaper but is now gone, nee to decide in the next few days).

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I went individual on all of my stuff. My kids are little and my wife is uninterested. When the kids are older and potentially irresponsible, I don't think I want them to have free (legally) reign over expensive NFA stuff. I'll likely set up a trust and leave the house/land/guns/etc to the trust with the kids on it when I pass. I believe inherited NFA items do not need another $200ea, just a Form 5(?) to transfer ownership after an inheritance.

As far as what can and things to look for? Idk. Mine were impulse purchases for the most part. Very little, if any, research was done. Talk to Asz. He'll treat you right. I have a pile of stuff at his place I need to pick up once the INGO lowers are done.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I went individual on all of my stuff. My kids are little and my wife is uninterested. When the kids are older and potentially irresponsible, I don't think I want them to have free (legally) reign over expensive NFA stuff. I'll likely set up a trust and leave the house/land/guns/etc to the trust with the kids on it when I pass. I believe inherited NFA items do not need another $200ea, just a Form 5(?) to transfer ownership after an inheritance.

As far as what can and things to look for? Idk. Mine were impulse purchases for the most part. Very little, if any, research was done. Talk to Asz. He'll treat you right. I have a pile of stuff at his place I need to pick up once the INGO lowers are done.
    Yeah, was kind of wondering about how the inheritance aspects work. I was also under the impression that if you transfer individually now and then decide to transfer NFA items to a trust later that is another tax stamp. Will see what Halata comes back with and look at going from there. I don't intend to go down the NFA path hard, but no one ever does as I understand it.

For a single suppressor someone could destroy it when I'm gone and it would not be a big deal from my perspective. I just don't want to get down the road and then think I should have setup a trust if I have additional NFA purchases. That said, the folks I'd probably put in the trust are out of state and additional finger prints, etc from them and processing, etc could be a pain. We'll see. I've avoided NFA due to a lot of these concerns in the past, along with added costs.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My immediate concern is if I go with a Scorpion 3+ which barrel length should I go with, not knowing if I will suppress it or not? I was thinking the 7.8" but then I wondered if I should go with the 4.2" for potential suppressor host purposes later.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yeah, was kind of wondering about how the inheritance aspects work. I was also under the impression that if you transfer individually now and then decide to transfer NFA items to a trust later that is another tax stamp. Will see what Halata comes back with and look at going from there. I don't intend to go down the NFA path hard, but no one ever does as I understand it.

For a single suppressor someone could destroy it when I'm gone and it would not be a big deal from my perspective. I just don't want to get down the road and then think I should have setup a trust if I have additional NFA purchases. That said, the folks I'd probably put in the trust are out of state and additional finger prints, etc from them and processing, etc could be a pain. We'll see. I've avoided NFA due to a lot of these concerns in the past, along with added costs.
    Yeah, my dad got swept up in the changes a few years back and thought he NEEDED a trust for all of his guns (no NFA stuff). He lives out of state and put me on it. It was a pain to just get stuff notarized and completed being states away.

For a brief second I considered using that trust when I started NFA buying, but decided against it - mainly because he and I have different last names and I don't want to use a trust with his name on it. Lol.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Pray the best for you both.

I haven't dealt with someone close passing but the recent announcement that the creator of "Dragon Ball" Akira Toriyama passed at the age of 68 really struck me to my core this month. I realized I haven't contacted my Japanese language mentor in almost 5 years. We have no rough feeling between each other but I had just been distant. I encourage anyone to reach out to someone important they haven't talked to in a while. I still have to get my passport and make it over there.:spend: Hopefully get to work there.
    Same here. It might sound silly to most that a “cartoon creator” means so much to some of us nerds, but he was a cornerstone of my childhood. I explained it to my mom as it’s as if Elvia, micheal Jackson or the like died.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...That said, the folks I'd probably put in the trust are out of state and additional finger prints, etc from them and processing, etc could be a pain. We'll see. I've avoided NFA due to a lot of these concerns in the past, along with added costs.

For the folks that are out of state, Silencer Shop makes it easier by finding a local shop with a SS Kiosk. Finger prints, photos and info can be entered through the kiosk and app on a cell phone and signed online. Once you're info is in their system, it does not have to be resubmitted for new purchases. Your photo does have to be resubmitted for an additional purchase if the one on file is over 1 year old. That takes a few minutes with the app. Their Single Shot trust is ~$25. you can file as an individual, with your own trust or with a SS Trust.

I ordered a new can a few days ago from home. Updated my photo with the app. They fill out all the paperwork, send you a link to use Docusign to sign the paperwork and they efile it for you. Pay them for the stamp and that is taken care of as well.

Danger, Danger...this makes alcohol induced, midnight impulse buys all too easy.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Been looking at selling my P-07 and picking up one with a threaded barrel, or just picking up a P10C optics ready, suppressor ready while they are cheap.Would love a P01 with threaded barrel but they are currently going for big $$$. Last I looked p10c was about $450 new to my door! Wanting to fondle and maybe shoot one soon. The Canick tactical may also be on that list.

Less than a new gun, but not cheap...

CZ Custom has threaded barrels for $180. They are currently OOS. Others make them as well.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    My immediate concern is if I go with a Scorpion 3+ which barrel length should I go with, not knowing if I will suppress it or not? I was thinking the 7.8" but then I wondered if I should go with the 4.2" for potential suppressor host purposes later.

Most ~147gr subsonic 9mm round go supersonic with an 8.3" barrel. Only Federal Syntech 150 gr ammo stays sub with that barrel.

With a 4.2" barrel, all 9mm subs will stay subsonic.

You will want to suppress it and we enablers will make sure you do, so go with the shorter barrel. See how easy that decision is?

Top Bottom