The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I assume it's cheaper to hard chrome a pistol than to just make one from stainless?

I don't mind some polished stainless on a gun, just not the entire thing. And certainly not the entire gun in hard chrome.
    Real hard chrome "hexavalent" gets harder to find all the time even though it's an older, easier and better understood process. The problem being the toxicity of the process and the left overs. Decorative chrome is "trivalent" produces a duller reflection, slightly yellow and softer film. With the costs involved and scarcity of operators hard chrome is today used in areas where wear, durability and slickness are important, like bearing surfaces. I would be surprised to see it on guns made today even though in the past it's what everybody used.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I stumbled upon this unique CZ compact D (PCR?) on YT. Have y’all seen anything like this? I didn’t think CZ ever made a PCR style Compact D in stainless, but here it is.

Are some of you thinking this is hard chromed and not actually stainless? The sides have a brushed stainless look. Can a brushed stainless look be achieved with hard chrome? I’m not arguing, just trying to learn. I’m not that familiar with hard chrome.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Are some of you thinking this is hard chromed and not actually stainless? The sides have a brushed stainless look. Can a brushed stainless look be achieved with hard chrome? I’m not arguing, just trying to learn. I’m not that familiar with hard chrome.

Chrome, like any plating, is what we call "conformal" means that it follows the same contours of what it's going over. It doesn't have any degree of filling like using a primer and sanding it to achieve a smooth surface. You have to polish the metal you are plating to get the look you want.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The gardener brought in a bunch of daffodils and has them in vases around the house. She figured the freeze would ruin them and this way she could enjoy them for a while. While they are pretty flowers, they smell bad.

Not complaining mind you, I have been married a long time for good reason.;)

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    That appears to me to be polished stainless on the flats and a matte otherwise.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The gardener brought in a bunch of daffodils and has them in vases around the house. She figured the freeze would ruin them and this way she could enjoy them for a while. While they are pretty flowers, they smell bad.

Not complaining mind you, I have been married a long time for good reason.;)
    Daffodils have a distinct odor. I do not feel its bad, but certainly not as pleasant as other flowers. But is a smell of spring! mine have not bloomed yet but are getting real close.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    That appears to me to be polished stainless on the flats and a matte otherwise.
    Perhaps my terminology is off, but there appears to be a fair amount of “grain”, for lack of a better word, on the sides. Leadeye’s explanation makes sense with it being “conformal” to the surface instead of covering over it like primer. I learned something new.

1709145317889.jpeg

Top Bottom