• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Acted on solely by a constant acceleration, 1/2gt^2. The vector for horizontal motion is independent being perpendicular to the acceleration, so the equation is a single variable quadratic

So, did they teach you enough useful math in those econ classes to know what kind of curve that type of quadratic describes?

Most certainly I learned quadratics. I think they teach that to middle schoolers now.

But you assume the surface is planar and that gravity is as well. Gravity is not planar. It is a point in 3D space. Other than over short distances, the difference is evident and measurable.

So, once again, you've inserted yourself into the fray, only to be found wanting. :)

Try again.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2169613_Ballistic_trajectory_Parabola_ellipse_or_what

https://lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/secrets.htm

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Most certainly I learned quadratics. I think they teach that to middle schoolers now.

But you assume the surface is planar and that gravity is as well. Gravity is not planar. It is a point in 3D space. Other than over short distances, the difference is evident and measurable.

So, once again, you've inserted yourself into the fray, only to be found wanting. :)

Try again.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2169613_Ballistic_trajectory_Parabola_ellipse_or_what

https://lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/secrets.htm

We were talking about ballistics, to whit bullets or artillery shells. Local gravity is proportional to Rsquared, R being the radius from the center of the earth. Lets use 10000 feet as the highest point in a shells trajectory, thats about 3.1 kilometers. Radius of the earth is about 6400 kilometers

9.8/gsub2 = (6403.1/6400)^2

9.8/gsub2 = 1.000969 and

gsub2 = 9.790513

9.790513/9.8 = 0.9990312 or a variation in gravity of a little less than 1 part in 1000. Insignificant

Modern artillery (M777) has a max range of about 25 km. The circumference of the earth is 40000 km, so the shell trajectory is an arc subtended by an angle of about 0.225 degrees. Any difference in the straight line distance between those two points and the length of arc is negligible given the accuracy of the numbers used for radius of the earth (using 6400 km, the difference in distance to the target is found to be 130m straight line as opposed to 'great circle'). Also insignificant

You should understand the math and the limits of accuracy before you go there. Try to find any artillery manual that contains corrections for variation in gravitational pull along the flight path or the curvature of the earth and post up. I'll wait
    :)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It still is an ellipse, theoretically, in a vacuum.

Add in other factors in real world ballistics such as coriolis, climate, altitude, etc., and it is not a parabola either at least not one definable within the framework of a single variable equation.

But, it is an ellipse in a vacuum.

If I'm to accept your semi-log minimization economics, you can accept the trajectory. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, I accept it - it just doesn't change anything on a practical level. If the shell struck a japanese beetle on the way to the target it likely would have more of an effect than local variation in gravity. But you are correct at the deepest mathematical level the most accurate mathematical representation of the trajectory would be a section of an ellipse. But I would bet you if you plotted the calculated trajectory (ignoring air resistance in both cases) that they would be virtually indistinguishable.

Its like calculating the speed you're pedaling your bicycle from tire revolutions. Even though the rim isn't perfectly circular and the tire deforms where it meets the road proportional to the weight of the rider, ignoring those effects doesn't affect the results in any meaningful way

Excerpt from your second cite

Many physics textbooks tell you, in the early chapters, that the path of a trajectory is a parabola. Indeed, all of the mathematical formulae and calculations dealing with trajectors of objects falling, thrown or propelled support that interpretation.

per·snick·et·y

placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    whocares.gif

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Oh, I accept it - it just doesn't change anything on a practical level. If the shell struck a japanese beetle on the way to the target it likely would have more of an effect than local variation in gravity. But you are correct at the deepest mathematical level the most accurate mathematical representation of the trajectory would be a section of an ellipse. But I would bet you if you plotted the calculated trajectory (ignoring air resistance in both cases) that they would be virtually indistinguishable.

Its like calculating the speed you're pedaling your bicycle from tire revolutions. Even though the rim isn't perfectly circular and the tire deforms where it meets the road proportional to the weight of the rider, ignoring those effects doesn't affect the results in any meaningful way

Excerpt from your second cite

per·snick·et·y

placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy

What you fail to realize is that 1) I found an article that was interesting, 2) I thought others might understand the concept and also find it interesting and 3) even if uninteresting to some/many, perhaps it provided a mental interlude to stop worrying about politics, viruses and monetary systems.

But, this is INGO, which means there is always someone who will un-Zen the moment.

And, perhaps, if you'd read past the first sentence of that second article, you'd admit that even you might have learned something.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some news breaking tonight, some GOP politicians sold off a ton of stock before the public coronavirus outcry hit. Some insider trading?

Pelosi allegedly did the same back in January.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Some news breaking tonight, some GOP politicians sold off a ton of stock before the public coronavirus outcry hit. Some insider trading?

Don't matter, won't ever matter.

Justice is for just us.

Now back to something more important:

salma-hayek-attends-the-21st-annual-warner-bros-and-instyle-golden-globe-after-party-in-beverly-hills-5.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

There is a law ( I don't know which), that basically says that congress critters can't be found guilty of insider trading due to their job. If they did any trading at all, it would be insider, by nature of the work they do. So, selling all your stock and then declaring martial law, shutting down the economy, and buying it all back at bargain basement prices is just a perk of job.

It's how people who make $250k a year can own three homes plus extras. They are 100% allowed to do things that would end up with most of us in the big house.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There is a law ( I don't know which), that basically says that congress critters can't be found guilty of insider trading due to their job. If they did any trading at all, it would be insider, by nature of the work they do. So, selling all your stock and then declaring martial law, shutting down the economy, and buying it all back at bargain basement prices is just a perk of job.

It's how people who make $250k a year can own three homes plus extras. They are 100% allowed to do things that would end up with most of us in the big house.

There's a bit more to it than that. There are ethics rules (believe it or not) that are intended to prevent that kind of thing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I've looked into the stock selling thing, and:

1) Burr clearly is neck-deep in ****. Should not survive it
    2) Loeffler has a far stronger defense than most realize (she's a billionaire, she farms all this out to blind 3rd parties...but politics is different than facts & logic
    3) the Feinstein and Johnson charges are just flat wrong. Feinstein's husband (not her) took a loss on it and the stock rose later. Johnson's cash-out had been something he was negotiating since 2018, two years of haggling.

https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/1240979202796593153

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom