• Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    [RANT]

The airlines don't care.

They don't care if you get to your destination on time, or even at all.

They don't care that you missed your flight because they changed your gate to the other side of the airport and you couldn't get there in time, even if you ran. They don't care that you have to spend the night in a crappy hotel and wear yesterday's underwear. They sleep in their own beds that night. They don't care.

They don't care if you are uncomfortable, too hot, too cold, thirsty, or hungry.

They don't care that they lost your luggage and you have an important meeting the next morning and all you have is cargo shorts and a golf shirt.

As they stand in the door as you get off the plane and thank you for flying with them, they don't care. You are revenue - nothing more.

The airlines don't care.

[/RANT]

Just noticed I fat-fingered the title. :(

Last edited:

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Juat got back from a round trip to Disney and freaking spent $200 extra for 4 bags to fly. Weren't oversized or over weight. Just didnt wanna carry them on. Dont use United Airlines.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That's how United treats peasant class passengers. They treat Business First pretty nice though! (Not I don't ever fly United on my own dime domestic, but fly them frequently internationally in Business Class).

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I freaking hate flying so much. The convenience is almost not worth it. For me, the entire day of air travel is nothing but stress (making the gate, getting through security, connecting flights, ect.) If I could, I would drive everywhere, gas prices are about the same cost as air travel (depending on where you're going of course). BLAH. :runaway:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is much better with Malaysia Airlines, and Japan Air, and Cathay, and Thai, and Singapore. Of course, if you want cut rate in Asia, try Lion Air, Asia Air, Merpati, Susi, etc.

You get what you pay for. Don't like United's crappy service? Pay for the upgrade and get better service.

You get what you pay for. Same as with pistols.

Don't like that crappy plastic, Brazilian-made Taurus? (Even though it goes boom every time you pull the trigger and you can cover the holes in the target with you hand.) Buy an all metal Sig or Colt. You get what you pay for.

You do not expect to get all metal and pinpoint accuracy from a $400 pistol. Don't expect to get first class (or even business class) service from an economy seat at an economy price.

Did I say it already? You get what you pay for.

I fly regularly all over Asia. I have seen the good, the bad, and the very bad. It is called "travel." It is not fun, enjoyable, cheap, or desirable. It is merely what I do to get to where I need to be to do the job I am called to do. The modern airlines are far, far better than the old trains (I have used them in India. They have their good and bad points, too.) or the old ocean liners (ten days to cross the Atlantic, two weeks or more to reach Calcutta; more if you want to see Singapore), or the earlier sailing ships (six months to Calcutta!).

Read a book. Study the history of travel. Compare the United flight with the trains, liners, and Yankee clippers. We have it so easy our grandparents would be ashamed of these sissified, whiny, mealy-mouthed brats their children have spawned.

Sheesh—Chicago to Seattle in three hours on the plane—with and extra hour or two on each end for check-in and baggage claim. It used to take a bit longer to make that trip. We have it so easy it is ridiculous! Stop whining and bend over for your rectal exam security check.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Juat got back from a round trip to Disney and freaking spent $200 extra for 4 bags to fly. Weren't oversized or over weight. Just didnt wanna carry them on. Dont use United Airlines.

Wife found very reasonable round trip tickets to Tampa. Well, they were reasonable until all the ****ing fee's were paid. False advertising.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I freaking hate flying so much. The convenience is almost not worth it. For me, the entire day of air travel is nothing but stress (making the gate, getting through security, connecting flights, ect.) If I could, I would drive everywhere, gas prices are about the same cost as air travel (depending on where you're going of course). BLAH. :runaway:

Very big "depending."

I'm helping a friend move to Springfield, MO. She has vertigo and it affects her driving. So I'm driving her out there and she's paying for me to come back, flight or rental car. We spent the better part of an hour online trying to figure out which was the cheapest. The 8-hour drive base cost for a compact (one step above the bottom) econobox car from Springfield to Indy was $246. That doesn't include the gas to fill it, or any mileage charges that might apply. The 4-hour flight from Springfield to Indy via O'Hare was $244, done!

I'd prefer to drive but it would be at least $100 more. Plus, flying takes half the time.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    It's no secret airlines tack on charges for baggage and everything else known to man. Read the fine print and choose an airline that doesn't charge baggage fees, headsets, you name it. You're paying for the privilege at traveling 10x the speed of driving for a small fraction what it would cost in gas to drive there alone, let alone the time it takes to get there. Plus it keeps me from having to yell at every dumba$$ driver I encounter along the way.

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    There is always an alternative. Get your pilots license. I have mine. I can opening case my gun up, walk out to my plane, throw 15 guns in back if I want, and fly wherever I need to go. No TSA, no safety check, no baggage fees, and usually no landing fees as long as I buy gas from the airport which is almost always necessary. When you land and go into the FBO (check in area), they will usually have drinks, popcorn, and cookies.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How many flights or long-distance trips must I take to equal the cost of a pilot's license and a plane to fly? There are always alternatives. Some of them are so far out of the realm of possible, let alone practical, that they don't make much sense.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How many flights or long-distance trips must I take to equal the cost of a pilot's license and a plane to fly? There are always alternatives. Some of them are so far out of the realm of possible, let alone practical, that they don't make much sense.

There's a reason not so many people have pilot's licenses and own their own planes...

I avoid flying whenever I do too. It is a pain. Sometimes, it just makes sense but when it's a financial draw and time is not an issue, I default to drive. I like the freedom and I like to see the countryside as part of the trip.

hotcorner5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2014
    Indianapolis

Private pilots license = 8500 for me.
    Instrument rating = 6000 for me
    Complex rating = rolled in with my instrument

Obviously the training is the most expensive part. After that it's blue skies. Nothing more peaceful.

Top Bottom