Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Has anyone noticed how everyone (Republicans that is) running for down-ticket offices are climbing over each other to prove how much they support Trump? And they're all climbing over each other to claim how much their opponents did NOT support Trump? Seems to me that if it was likely that he would be defeated in November, that they'd be wanting to distance themselves from him, not the other way around. Most of them were on record as being against him back in 2016 (or 2018), but now, everybody wants on the Trump train.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Has anyone noticed how everyone (Republicans that is) running for down-ticket offices are climbing over each other to prove how much they support Trump? And they're all climbing over each other to claim how much their opponents did NOT support Trump? Seems to me that if it was likely that he would be defeated in November, that they'd be wanting to distance themselves from him, not the other way around. Most of them were on record as being against him back in 2016 (or 2018), but now, everybody wants on the Trump train.
    That probably depends a lot on the district. If it’s solid red MAGA country, sure they’re gonna need to be seen as being a Trumper. Purple districts, not as much.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That probably depends a lot on the district. If it’s solid red MAGA country, sure they’re gonna need to be seen as being a Trumper. Purple districts, not as much.

Probably true. Here in the middle, we seem to get all the commercials. But being Marion County, I'm not sure I'd call us solid red MAGA country.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    So, this might help give some behind the scenes understanding for Trump's latest Executive Order on social media companies: Tech billionaires are plotting sweeping, secret plans to boost Joe Biden
    https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/5/2...ene-powell-jobs-dustin-moskovitz-eric-schmidt

"Election Day is less than six months away, and Democrats are scrambling to patch the digital deficits of their presumptive nominee. And behind the scenes, Silicon Valley’s billionaire Democrats are spending tens of millions of dollars on their own sweeping plans to catch up to President Donald Trump’s lead on digital campaigning — plans that are poised to make them some of the country’s most influential people when it comes to shaping the November results.
    . . .
    The chess moves of this power set are instrumental to fulfilling Democrats’ — and much of Silicon Valley’s — four-year quest to oust Donald Trump."

One of those tech billionaires is Reid Hoffman, who you may remember was involved in creating "Russian bots" to influence an election in Alabama: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/8/1...man-alabama-new-knowledge-influence-campaigns

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think a lot of the people who voted for President Trump were people that didn't vote regularly. I don't believe that those people will be listening to silicon valley or big media's message. Democrats and republicans are both in this category and they have been watching the image of "good old Joe" deteriorate dramatically even with media help, probably to the point where democrat leadership is considering the drastic step of removing him as the presumptive nominee. I think that move will make these voters uncomfortable with whoever is picked so thier leadership will have a tough decision to make. Either way it's going to be a risky election for democrats. Just running Joe and letting him succeed or fail is the likely safer strategy

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think a lot of the people who voted for President Trump were people that didn't vote regularly. I don't believe that those people will be listening to silicon valley or big media's message. Democrats and republicans are both in this category and they have been watching the image of "good old Joe" deteriorate dramatically even with media help, probably to the point where democrat leadership is considering the drastic step of removing him as the presumptive nominee. I think that move will make these voters uncomfortable with whoever is picked so thier leadership will have a tough decision to make. Either way it's going to be a risky election for democrats. Just running Joe and letting him succeed or fail is the likely safer strategy

If I was fighting for the democratic party, my game plan would be:

1.) Accept this election is a foregone conclusion, and keep my mouth shut.
    2.) Internally work to distance from the old corrupt wing of the party.
    3.) Rebrand, and re-establish an identity.
    4.) Look to younger candidates, and refuse to let the old corrupt morons who have lived in office, from ever running under the party's name ever again.
    5.) Listen to the younger crowd, and seek to represent their views.

As it stands right now, on their current trajectory, they're going to be irrelevant in short order, with so many skeletons in the closet they can no longer bare the weight of their own scandals.

If they don't do this, it's going to be a generation of Trumps to come.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting strategy, but I don't think the democrats can divorce themselves from big money. Machine politics revolve around it and that's what they are now.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Interesting strategy, but I don't think the democrats can divorce themselves from big money. Machine politics revolve around it and that's what they are now.

This new generation isn't quite as naive as millennials. They're actually aware of the big money and corporate backing of the democratic party.

If the party doesn't cut ties with that image ASAP, they're going to lose the younger generation.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    True, but younger generations inevitably become older generations. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Always follow the money

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

4.) Look to younger candidates, and refuse to let the old corrupt morons who have lived in office, from ever running under the party's name ever again.

As it stands right now, on their current trajectory, they're going to be irrelevant in short order, with so many skeletons in the closet they can no longer bare the weight of their own scandals.

I hear there’s a young candidate from Queens who has a fresh face.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Looking at certain aspects of the DNC's conduct, I could see this happening. Biden has made a lot of unforced errors, and has the Reade and Burisma issues hanging over him, as well as his relationship with China. He is a walking liability, and the best thing he has done in terms of strategy is hide in his basement. If the DNC was serious about this election they would have replaced him. They haven't. Instead they have a had a number of younger, more marketable, candidates drop out and support Biden, all/most of whom I assume would be given cushy jobs in a Biden administration to build their resumes. This looks like the DNC is prepared to lose this election, while saving their rising talent for the next elections when Trump cannot run again.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Looking at certain aspects of the DNC's conduct, I could see this happening. Biden has made a lot of unforced errors, and has the Reade and Burisma issues hanging over him, as well as his relationship with China. He is a walking liability, and the best thing he has done in terms of strategy is hide in his basement. If the DNC was serious about this election they would have replaced him. They haven't. Instead they have a had a number of younger, more marketable, candidates drop out and support Biden, all/most of whom I assume would be given cushy jobs in a Biden administration to build their resumes. This looks like the DNC is prepared to lose this election, while saving their rising talent for the next elections when Trump cannot run again.

If they replace Biden, the party is finished, and will be the black sheep of politics for the next couple decades.

It would be political suicide for them. They made their bed and must sleep in it now.
    All efforts should be shifted from the election and into internal reform, if they want to survive.

I know a lot of dems really want this, but you have to consider voters who actually decide who they want to support, and not just party loyalists. Their nomination process is already antithetical to democracy, subverting it further by hand selecting a random candidate would be the final nail in their credibility.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If they replace Biden, the party is finished, and will be the black sheep of politics for the next couple decades.

It would be political suicide for them. They made their bed and must sleep in it now.
    All efforts should be shifted from the election and into internal reform, if they want to survive.

I know a lot of dems really want this, but you have to consider voters who actually decide who they want to support, and not just party loyalists. Their nomination process is already antithetical to democracy, subverting it further by hand selecting a random candidate would be the final nail in their credibility.
    Not sure if that’s how it would play out. Depending on who they picked over Biden, I think it would hurt them. But long term I think it would mostly cause the establishment democrats to lose power. And then the party leadership would be taken over by the AOC wing.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not sure if that’s how it would play out. Depending on who they picked over Biden, I think it would hurt them. But long term I think it would mostly cause the establishment democrats to lose power. And then the party leadership would be taken over by the AOC wing.

That's inevitable.

Anyone who doesn't see the writing on the wall for this, isn't paying attention.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Cross posting from the thread on the GOP primary for 5th district race. This is the seat to replace the outgoing Susan Brooks.

Victoria Spartz won the GOP nomination pretty easily, beating out something like 14 challengers. She's a good candidate, coming from the state senate and is much less squishy on certain issues than Brooks, including 2A. She's actually from Ukraine, so she's seen first-hand the damage communism and gun control can do.

Her opponent will be Christina Hale, and it is going to be a competitive race. Hale is a capable candidate and also has experience serving in the state legislature, although on the house side. She had the backing of the DCCC heading into the primary and will have a lot of national money behind her. Hale is also the candidate endorsed by Mom's Demand Action and is very anti-gun. She supports UBCs, "assault weapon" bans, mag limits, lifting liability protections on manufacturers, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure she will try and downplay this in the general, but she is an extreme gun control advocate. I've heard the anti-gun policy proposal from her first-hand.

This seat has been GOP controlled since 1993, but the DNC does think they have a shot at flipping it blue this year. Those of us in the 5th district need to be engaged and get out the vote for Spartz.

https://www.wthr.com/article/gops-spartz-democrat-hale-win-indianas-5th-district-bids

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    President Trump is holding a rally in Tulsa on the 20th. Demand has been so strong, they are talking about holding a second rally to allow more people to actually attend in person.

Trump campaign manager says 300,000 tickets registered for upcoming rally

I wonder if Biden could fill a hall with more than 1-2% of that total right now.

Not surprisingly in today's environment, the registration process includes a Wuhan coronavirus liability waiver.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom