• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've never shot in competition, but I have trained quite a bit with running and gunning on steel plates. One thing I learned long ago is that I absolutely do not like pistols with short "2 finger" grips. Especially the single stacks that use a magazine with a grip sleeve to make a full grip. Mag changes under stress are a pain in the butt, and I much prefer a full grip on my defensive pistol for enhanced control under stress.

I generally EDC a P365, but the stubby stock grip module is in a drawer somewhere and will never see carry duty. I've got the XL grip module on both of my P365s for a full grip. Not that mag changes are terribly common in civilian defensive encounters, but it doesn't hurt to optimize where you can.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Not sure how much I can agree with that instructor. It always makes me scratch my head when people use a fancy gun that's very different from their EDC, as well as a competition style holster, mag holders and belt that are different from what they normally use. I would think that if you're constantly practicing with your "race gear", that's what you'll be used to, not your EDC equipment. I'm sure a lot of the skills transfer over, but certainly not all. I agree with BT that using your EDC equipment is a good idea at least some of the time when you're doing shooting sport matches. Might just be me, but it seems like common sense... :dunno:

I'm with you here. I have my carry guns and competition guns. Every defensive pistol class I go to, I run my carry gun(s).

If i shoot a carry gun match at Parabellum or when coach had them at Riley, i use my carry gun.

Practice, both (carry and competition) get about the same amount of rounds down range

Uspsa, carry guns get a break most of the time :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm with you here. I have my carry guns and competition guns. Every defensive pistol class I go to, I run my carry gun(s).

If i shoot a carry gun match at Parabellum or when coach had them at Riley, i use my carry gun.

Practice, both (carry and competition) get about the same amount of rounds down range

Uspsa, carry guns get a break most of the time :)

I took a class this spring and the instructor (who doesn't game/compete as far as I know) shoots 1 for 1 of his full size pistol and his compact so that no matter which one he is carrying, he has the same familiarity with both.

Something I am working on doing.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I took a class this spring and the instructor (who doesn't game/compete as far as I know) shoots 1 for 1 of his full size pistol and his compact so that no matter which one he is carrying, he has the same familiarity with both.

Something I am working on doing.

Yep. I try to shoot my 4.25 and 3.6 MP regularly

At times, I shoot one better than the other.

My 4.25 was having extraction issues but I think that has been remedied with upgraded extractor (actually both got the upgrade)

dereedy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    This is a good post. Thanks. I've been away from regular shooting for most of the last 12 years or so (mostly serving places where I didn't have much access to a personal weapon). I need to get reconnected to skills and practice with my new everyday carry pistol to get the kind of experience you describe.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Not sure how much I can agree with that instructor. It always makes me scratch my head when people use a fancy gun that's very different from their EDC, as well as a competition style holster, mag holders and belt that are different from what they normally use. I would think that if you're constantly practicing with your "race gear", that's what you'll be used to, not your EDC equipment. I'm sure a lot of the skills transfer over, but certainly not all. I agree with BT that using your EDC equipment is a good idea at least some of the time when you're doing shooting sport matches. Might just be me, but it seems like common sense... :dunno:

Well rounded competitive shooters generally have no real issue making good hits with weapons other than their “race” day gun(s). It’s a lot more issue in their HEAD than it is in practice...if anything. And TRUST me, it is hard to get this through competitors heads as well; e.g.: you can train hard with a match air pistol and it will not cripple your ability with your Springfield.

Frankly, it’s Bull Hockey.

Am I saying it is a good idea to completely change operating systems from carry to race? Well, no. Racing a double stack 1911-style and then strapping on a Beretta 92 for the drive home seems like a bad idea.

I withhold any of my ignorant comments about holsters, belts, mags, mag holders.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This situation is simplified if you only own one model of pistol. You can shoot, compete with, and carry the same gun. :)

Own. One. Model. Of. Pistol.

I know each of those words individually, but have never seen them arranged in a sentence like that.

:):

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I haven't done much. But I did listen to Coach at lessons.

Shooting with your everyday carry pistol may not win you matches but it could save your life.

I like to have the same family of pistols.

92F full size, compact was awhile back.

PX4 Sub, com, full size. current.

Top Bottom