• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    salma-hayek-in-bikini-at-a-boat-instagram-picture-december-2017-0_thumbnail.jpg

Of the photos posted in this thread, this one wins.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    If it really is a coping mechanism that F'd up...

So lets change the circumstances... your grandma gets lost in Indy one day... it's not her fault, she's aging, got turned around, and mixed up, and she finds her way to a not so savory part of town. The specific circumstances are unknown but what is known is that she catches a bullet right in the old noggin'; we're not sure if it was intended for her or not. Will your coping mechanism be to say "guess grandma couldn't wrap her mind around the directions I gave as well as she was able to wrap her mind around that bullet"?

If so you need some mental health exams because that's not a coping mechanism, that's some sort of psychological problem. If that's not your coping mechanism why? Because it's YOUR grandma and not somebody else's? Congratulations, you just discovered what I'm trying to say about common decency. You don't have to think this guy was innocent, but you can still treat him and his family with dignity & respect while thinking that "he had it coming".

I see both sides of this, to a degree. Humor around dead people, is used to keep you from losing your own mind. If you have a job to do, you can't start crying because some innocent kid got killed in som horrific way. You have to distance yourself from the emotional side of it. People use humor. It would be viewed by a family member as very dark, unprofessional, and just wrong. This is usually done in very close knit circles. An outsider won't understand it, and it's best not put on public display.

Your example of grandma catching a bullet, well that's different. The beat cop, that has to maintain the crime scene, until BBI or the coroner shows up, will make the jokes. The humor is used so you don't make it personal. If it's your own grandma, it already is personal.

Everybody dies. If somebody dies in some kind of tragedy, think of the people that have to process that scene, move the body etc. You will learn to distance yourself from it, or it will eat you. :twocents:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Do you think that everyone in the military has a psychological problem? Police officers? Firefighters? EMTs? There's a reason we all have such a dark sense of humor. We've seen this **** firsthand, and if we don't laugh about it, it's going to wear you down to a point where you can't function anymore. Trauma makes people do strange things. I'm sorry that you don't understand that.

Not sure what military you were in but the .mil guys I've spent a significant portion of my time with (I've been around plenty although I've never been AD) don't make jokes out of death, especially that of a brother. As a matter of fact, if you made those jokes around many that I've spent my time with they would plant you squarely on the ground... So no, not everybody in the military has a psychological disorder, but then again, not all of them make jokes about death like you have. I've played a part in numerous ramp ceremonies in the sandbox and I can say that I NEVER heard jokes, especially the likes that I've seen in this thread. To be honest, to imply that ALL in the military cope like this sort of discredits you with me because I've never experienced ANY of them that deal with it the way you're saying.

So just to confirm, if it was YOUR grandma, you would cope with her loss by cracking jokes just the same as in this thread?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If it really is a coping mechanism that F'd up...

So lets change the circumstances... your grandma gets lost in Indy one day... it's not her fault, she's aging, got turned around, and mixed up, and she finds her way to a not so savory part of town. The specific circumstances are unknown but what is known is that she catches a bullet right in the old noggin'; we're not sure if it was intended for her or not. Will your coping mechanism be to say "guess grandma couldn't wrap her mind around the directions I gave as well as she was able to wrap her mind around that bullet"?

If so you need some mental health exams because that's not a coping mechanism, that's some sort of psychological problem. If that's not your coping mechanism why? Because it's YOUR grandma and not somebody else's? Congratulations, you just discovered what I'm trying to say about common decency. You don't have to think this guy was innocent, but you can still treat him and his family with dignity & respect while thinking that "he had it coming".

Never heard of gallows humor? It's a thing.

And being human is fraught with psychological problems. Coping mechanisms take different forms.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe they were scrubbed.

Ah I see what it's doing. It's only showing them in the search if it was the first post, the OP. It actually replaces with asterisks in following posts. The OP must be a little more special when it comes to vBulletin keeping it original.

Edit: Maybe not... pre-2010 it shows some posts, too. So post-2010 it replaced with asterisks... pre-2010 it kept it with regular posts. I'm guessing the word filter came later, and didn't retroactively change the raw data of posts.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Not sure what military you were in but the .mil guys I've spent a significant portion of my time with (I've been around plenty although I've never been AD) don't make jokes out of death, especially that of a brother. As a matter of fact, if you made those jokes around many that I've spent my time with they would plant you squarely on the ground... So no, not everybody in the military has a psychological disorder, but then again, not all of them make jokes about death like you have. I've played a part in numerous ramp ceremonies in the sandbox and I can say that I NEVER heard jokes, especially the likes that I've seen in this thread. To be honest, to imply that ALL in the military cope like this sort of discredits you with me because I've never experienced ANY of them that deal with it the way you're saying.

So just to confirm, if it was YOUR grandma, you would cope with her loss by cracking jokes just the same as in this thread?

KJQ explained it and it is true. I was active duty and have participated in some of this. It is a coping mechanism. Of course you don't joke when it's one of your own.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I see both sides of this, to a degree. Humor around dead people, is used to keep you from losing your own mind. If you have a job to do, you can't start crying because some innocent kid got killed in som horrific way. You have to distance yourself from the emotional side of it. People use humor. It would be viewed by a family member as very dark, unprofessional, and just wrong. This is usually done in very close knit circles. An outsider won't understand it, and it's best not put on public display.

Your example of grandma catching a bullet, well that's different. The beat cop, that has to maintain the crime scene, until BBI or the coroner shows up, will make the jokes. The humor is used so you don't make it personal. If it's your own grandma, it already is personal.

Everybody dies. If somebody dies in some kind of tragedy, think of the people that have to process that scene, move the body etc. You will learn to distance yourself from it, or it will eat you. :twocents:
    Close-knit circle of first responders is one thing... I cannot fathom being one of those guys and what they do to cope with that ... the guy that owns the property next-door to me is one in Indy (knows phylodog pretty well) and he's never joked about death with me... INGO, public forums, public conversations are not "close-knit circles of first responders". I think any respectable person can tell the difference.

And your response plays right into the point I'm making and hopefully can help each side to understand this. I understand that these jokes likely happened behind closed doors, which keeps it from being personal. My contention is that some seem to think a public forum is an appropriate "behind closed doors" simply because it's largely anonymous; I respectfully disagree with that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    KJQ explained it and it is true. I was active duty and have participated in some of this. It is a coping mechanism. Of course you don't joke when it's one of your own.

I gotta call shenanigans. People are making jokes as coping mechanism based on something they've seen online? I don't buy that at all. When you're there, fact to face with brain matter, or black skin and swollen bodies, yeah, then it makes sense. Online, and I'm just as guilty as anyone, it's just people exhibiting bad taste.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Exactly this. If it is one of your own, it is personal, and nothing you can do will distance you from it. Then, you attend the funeral, cry with the family, and try to cope and move on.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I gotta call shenanigans. People are making jokes as coping mechanism based on something they've seen online? I don't buy that at all. When you're there, fact to face with brain matter, or black skin and swollen bodies, yeah, then it makes sense. Online, and I'm just as guilty as anyone, it's just people exhibiting bad taste.

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant to say that gallows humor among military, police, other first responders is often a coping mechanism for the horrors they have to see and deal with. As I inferred in an earlier post, it can be inappropriate on an open forum. Not the same thing. Sorry for the confusion.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

If it was my grandma, I honestly don't know how I'd cope.
    The first thing I would want to know is how she was rolling around in a car in Indianapolis, since she passed away in 1976.

:):

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    The internet makes this event less "real" to those of us that aren't involved. Same with other events that we aren't directly involved with.

There is more death in 3rd world countries than I can even imagine, however the internet in general still jokes about it because it is not in "our" collective backyard.

0w4zX.png

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Close-knit circle of first responders is one thing... I cannot fathom being one of those guys and what they do to cope with that ... the guy that owns the property next-door to me is one in Indy (knows phylodog pretty well) and he's never joked about death with me... INGO, public forums, public conversations are not "close-knit circles of first responders". I think any respectable person can tell the difference.

And your response plays right into the point I'm making and hopefully can help each side to understand this. I understand that these jokes likely happened behind closed doors, which keeps it from being personal. My contention is that some seem to think a public forum is an appropriate "behind closed doors" simply because it's largely anonymous; I respectfully disagree with that.

And that is why I started my reply out with, I see both sides of this to a degree. There have been some very distasteful comments, including a couple of my own, that I probably shouldn't have made.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I don't disagree.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I just now checked out this thread. Let me think about it and I will get back to you on just exactly how you should feel and think about it all. Stand by.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Exactly.

No, if it's personal, it's different. The jokes are made to keep it from being personal.

This is a thread that beings with a graphic video. I would assume that all participants in this thread have viewed the video, and we are discussing it. The jokes I make on the street are with other officers and first responders. I would never let the family hear what I say, and I would most certainly never say it to them. The reason why your military friends don't joke like that around you, is because you can't handle it. You can't imagine the things they've seen, so you're not in their circle. They are respecting you by not talking like that around you, but I assure you, it happens. Oh, and the military I was in is the United States Army. I think it's still around...

Maybe I should have toned it down a bit, this is an open public forum, after all, but as I said, all participants in this thread should be aware of the content matter, and expect certain things to be said.

Top Bottom