Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I would be a big fan of defunding state schools as well. Leave more money in peoples pockets to let them educate their own children. With Kahn Academy and the like, any driven parent with patience can ensure their child has an education at least equal to the swill they get in public schools.
    Definitely true out east and in chicago, but not sure if that stands for all counties in this fine state.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Seems like it should be the other way around, since property taxes are a main source of funding for schools. Should be, "Have no kids, pay no property taxes.

I do not quite see it either way. There is no such thing as lowered taxes. There is only the unfair charging of some to subsidize others. In addition, I don't think they intend to separate out citizens vs those passing through legally or illegally.

It is a mixed bag. I am for anything that helps solid families in a humanitarian way. In another way, I am also against making some people pay for others.

IF we are going to have property tax, then it should be across the board level. More kids, less kids, that should be of no concern for the property tax. While it is a reasonably small percentage of property tax that goes to school costs, using more services should not grant a discount that others have to pay who might not even use the services.

Emergency services costs for the community go up when there is government subsidized housing. Those who do not contribute to the expense are already bearing most of that burden, that is not right either.

Indiana already has a law to give a slight discount to seniors on property tax. It seems to only include home owners on welfare, because anyone who was productive enough to pay a lot into social security and pay a lot into their personal pension do not qualify for the Seniors property tax relief.

I loved living in Texas and my life goal is to move back, but I disagree with this law.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Tax code needs to be corrected to remove all exemptions. If your tax rate is 23%, you pay 23%. If it’s 33%, you pay 33%. You shouldn’t be able to have it deducted from each paycheck either. Move tax day to the day before election day and you are expected to pay your full annual tax burden on that day.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm in favor of abolishing property taxes altogether.
    I am not far from that view. Property tax is assessed to the productive and responsible. Those who worked hard and scrimped and save, bought property. Those who had equal opportunity and chose not to build property, are not paying the tax.

it is easy to think in terms of lucky rich guys and poor unlucky people. There is more to it than that.

At the Chrysler plant, it was easy to know what everyone made. There were some that chose to spend their money on a continual stream of new cars, booze, bass boats, booze, Harley Davidsons, booze and a string of illicit affairs, and booze. Lots of pictures of exotic vacations and hookers, and booze. They retired with 30+ years seniority still renting a trailer and making payments on a car, a truck and a motorcycle. Others (who may have been on a lower pay scale) chose to pay off a primary residence, a couple of rental properties and drive cash purchased cars for 8 or 10 years.

Property tax is not fair to the responsible.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Tax code needs to be corrected to remove all exemptions. If your tax rate is 23%, you pay 23%. If it’s 33%, you pay 33%. You shouldn’t be able to have it deducted from each paycheck either. Move tax day to the day before election day and you are expected to pay your full annual tax burden on that day.
    And you cannot vote unless you are current on the tax bill. A freeholder, sort of like the founding fathers believed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am philosophically against property tax.

That said we have a problem with no incentives to the people to raise children which has become off the charts expensive to do, children that will be the next generation. Part of me agrees with @DoggyDaddy but that does not solve the societal need for those kids to eventually provide care and services to the old.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am sorry what part of the constitution?
    Knowledge and learning, general diffused throughout a community, being essential to the preservation of a free government; it should be the duty of the General Assembly to encourage, by all suitable means, moral, intellectual scientific, and agricultural improvement; and provide, by law, for a general and uniform system of Common Schools, wherein tuition shall without charge, and equally open to all.[1]

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Because Article 8 Section 2 of our constitution says you have to.

Cry More
    Property taxes have nothing to do with the federal government or US constitution. The states constitution,but not the United States Constitution. Article 2 of our state constitution is about separation of powers,not taxes. We also had no property taxes before 1902(and they were all controlled by the local level governments until 1973,when the state first set some limits).

Top Bottom