Taurus PT-22 Pistol... Help. Anyone with experience??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Well, I LOVED the new Smith .38 642 Stainess we just bought, but the wife didn't like the recoil (even w/ mellow Hornady 110g self defense rounds) nor did she liked how it fit her hand. Sooooooo, It looks like I'm off again to find her something that suits her tastes, yet still satisfies my requirement for something that is effective.

We went back to the gun shop today and looked at a number of nice pieces, but the one that she seems to like more than the others in feel, fit, finish and "color" is a Taurus PT-22 small frame, conceal/carry pistol.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Does anyone have any direct experience shooting or using this little bugger? Of course, the thing is yellow.....and that's all I have to say about that. :rolleyes:

She likes it- even though I'm a bit skeptical, but I don't have any experience with this little things.. What say you? Good gun??

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    My Wife had one and carried it in her purse for several years. Very simple and safe pistol to operate. Tip the barrel to see if it's loaded. Have your wife practice, practice, practice, loading it , unloading, making it safe, clearing jams etc. Especially if it's her first semi auto. Confidence is 75% of sel defense.
    I only sold my Wifes because she moved up to a Walther P22.
    The Taurus is a great choice! Good Luck.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Had one for several years. The firing pin broke once while on the range. Sent it back to the factory and they fixed it, with no charge for the repair. The trigger pull was a little stiff for my wife and daughters. I sold it and ended up buying a S&W mdl 36.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    I have the PT 22 and PT 25 they are kinda neat have around for newer shooters to shoot at the range.
    Might I sugggest introducing her to .380 for SD.

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    Well, I LOVED the new Smith .38 642 Stainess we just bought, but the wife didn't like the recoil (even w/ mellow Hornady 110g self defense rounds) nor did she liked how it fit her hand. Sooooooo, It looks like I'm off again to find her something that suits her tastes, yet still satisfies my requirement for something that is effective.

We went back to the gun shop today and looked at a number of nice pieces, but the one that she seems to like more than the others in feel, fit, finish and "color" is a Taurus PT-22 small frame, conceal/carry pistol.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Does anyone have any direct experience shooting or using this little bugger? Of course, the thing is yellow.....and that's all I have to say about that. :rolleyes:

She likes it- even though I'm a bit skeptical, but I don't have any experience with this little things.. What say you? Good gun??

Hang on to the stainless 642 it will be worth a mint!!

dweezil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Fishers
    I have a pt-22 and generally like it. If yours is yellow it may be the newer polymer frame version. I have the older metal frame one.

After I found ammo it likes, it has been reliable. The only exception being a bad magazine (that I accidently buggered the lips on). It shoots CCI minimags and federal high velocity bulk reliably. At least on my all metal version - Taurus advises not to shoot hyper-velocity ammo.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have one and it is a fun gun. I was very surprised at the accuarcy of it, with as small as it is. Double action only trigger is a bit stout. I shoot CCI through it.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys and after discussing it with the wife a bit more, researching it on the internet after my post, etc., we decided to step up to the Taurus PT-738 .380 ACP for her personal SD piece, instead of the PT-22. She liked the small, light frame of the PT-738, as well as, the relatively light/smooth feel of the action, so it's now at home on the kitchen table, ready for it's first cleaning/oiling before go test shooting w/ it tomorrow. :yesway:

The cool thing now is, since she didn't like the Smith piece we just came from and I loved it, I now get to get "my own" SD gun to replace the one we traded back in for the PT-738 that's "hers". I gotta wait until after Christmas, but daddy WILL have that Smithy in my hands again. ;)

BTW- We bought the new piece from the SniperCo also. Good people, nice stuff, excellent service. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom