• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On 05 June I sent in my 24/7 DS Pro for a trigger problem before the recall settlement discussions were revealed. I was told by Taurus that my Gen 1 was "unrepairable" and that I would be sent a Gen 2 instead. I asked about getting the original back, or about alternatives. They offered me a PT111 or the 24/7 Gen 2, or a change in caliber. I opted for the 9mm Gen 2 24/7.

After six weeks I called them to inquire about when I would get the replacement. I was advised they are "waiting on a shipment from Brazil."

Today I called them again to inquire about the status of the replacement. I was told it was shipped to my FFL on 16 September and been delivered on 18 September. Taurus did not put my name on the package so the dealer did not know whom to call. When I called today and asked if if they had it, I was delighted to hear it was there. A BNIB Gen 2 24/7. I inspected it carefully and it looks great.

Hope to take into the range this weekend.

Thanks, Taurus! It took a long time—four months—but I got a brand new pistol to replace an old one. I am a satisfied customer, assuming it shoots well! Range report will follow.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I thought when you sent a gun back to the manufacture for repair or replacement it was returned to you, not a dealer. So, did you have to pay a transfer fee and or sales tax?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    On 05 June I sent in my 24/7 DS Pro for a trigger problem before the recall settlement discussions were revealed. I was told by Taurus that my Gen 1 was "unrepairable" and that I would be sent a Gen 2 instead. I asked about getting the original back, or about alternatives. They offered me a PT111 or the 24/7 Gen 2, or a change in caliber. I opted for the 9mm Gen 2 24/7.

After six weeks I called them to inquire about when I would get the replacement. I was advised they are "waiting on a shipment from Brazil."

Today I called them again to inquire about the status of the replacement. I was told it was shipped to my FFL on 16 September and been delivered on 18 September. Taurus did not put my name on the package so the dealer did not know whom to call. When I called today and asked if if they had it, I was delighted to hear it was there. A BNIB Gen 2 24/7. I inspected it carefully and it looks great.

Hope to take into the range this weekend.

Thanks, Taurus! It took a long time—four months—but I got a brand new pistol to replace an old one. I am a satisfied customer, assuming it shoots well! Range report will follow.

Good, I am Glad to hear this ..... Good shooting.....

Waiting on range report .....

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I thought when you sent a gun back to the manufacture for repair or replacement it was returned to you, not a dealer. So, did you have to pay a transfer fee and or sales tax?

It MAY be returned to the owner if it's the same gun/same serial number.

Different gun or different serial number = NICS check must be performed at an FFL holder.

And why would the FFL collect sales tax on it? It was not purchased at the FFL's location or through their business, they have no right to collect any sales tax.

And if your local FFL is asking for sales tax on YOUR transactions, other than the stuff you buy from them, you need to report them to the Indiana Department of Revenue. That's some mighty shady business practices.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Yes, I had to pay $30 for FFL and the FFL had to run the background check. Bummer! I was told Taurus would reimburse me for it, but I am not going to pursue it.

No sales tax.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just messaged Taurus after realizing that two of our pistols may be included in this recall. I'm glad you posted this as I had forgotten about seeing the recall info earlier and never followed up on it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I just messaged Taurus after realizing that two of our pistols may be included in this recall. I'm glad you posted this as I had forgotten about seeing the recall info earlier and never followed up on it.

Has there actually been an official recall announced yet? As you can tell from my signature, I actively track recalls and I have yet to hear of any for Taurus. I just rechecked their web site and didn't find anything. As far as I've been able to find, Taurus has been fighting (and losing) in the courts and handling individual squeaky wheels, rather than actively handling a recall.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Has there actually been an official recall announced yet? As you can tell from my signature, I actively track recalls and I have yet to hear of any for Taurus. I just rechecked their web site and didn't find anything. As far as I've been able to find, Taurus has been fighting (and losing) in the courts and handling individual squeaky wheels, rather than actively handling a recall.

I found nothing on their site so I posted to their Facebook page. They asked me to send them a message with my phone number and serial numbers of the guns. No response so far.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Recall has not been issued. Terms must still be approved by a judge. Scheduled decision date is January. Many are sending in gun models included in the lawsuit hoping for action/repair under the lifetime warranty. I sent my weapon for service before I knew of the liability lawsuit.

Taurusarmed.com has extensive discussion thread on the issue.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Thanks for the pointer, Bapak2ja. Can you provide a link? I tried to check on that discussion and just found a "domain for sale" site.

Edit: Found it. Here is the discussion at taurusarmed.net.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I took the new 24/7 Gen 2 in 9mm to the range yesterday afternoon. I fired:

100 rounds WWB 115gr
    50 rounds NATO 124gr
    50 rounds Remington 115gr.
    50 rounds WWB FMJ 147gr.

All ran well except for one stove pipe and one FTFeed. My Gen 1 was my primary EDC. My shooting was far more accurate with it than with the alternatives, and I appreciated the 17+1 capacity. I want to make this Gen 2 my primary EDC, but I am not prepared to do so at this time. The malfunctions came on the first mag of the hollow points. The second and third mags were flawless, but I want to run a few more through it, maybe another 200 flawless hollow points, successfully before I carry it.

The trigger is long pull with a very long reset. It is not much different from the Gen 1. The length of pull is about the same—probably an inch of take-up room. The break point is soft. It can be difficult to know when I have taken up the slack. I experience a three premature firings with it. I was taking up the slack as I settled in on my target, but I did not expect the discharge. It fired before I intended. I don't mid the long slack take-up, but I would appreciate a great demarcation at the break point. So, I have to learn to manage that trigger.

Fit and feel is acceptable. Size is good. Nice grips; two back pieces to increase grip fit are provided, but I prefer it just as it comes from the factory.

Accuracy was poor. Shot low. Read the manual (I know, real men don't need no stinking manual or instructions!) and found how to change the elevation. Now that I know how to adjust the elevation, I must return to the range to sight it in.

The new Gen 2 has a different decocker system. On the Gen 1 the decocker was engaged by pushing the safety further up after engaging it. On the Gen 2 one must push the safety down from the Ready to Fire position to activate the decocker. If I understand it correctly, engaging the decocker put the pistol in DA mode so it is safe to carry one in the chamber. As I write, I realize I need to check it out further. After activating the decocker, should the safety be engaged (i.e. move it back to the safety position) before holstering or should it remain down in the decocted position. (Crap, gonna have to read that manual again!).

There is a unique feature on this model. At the back of the slide, under the rear sights, there is a small opening in which one can see a recessed orang circle on the end of a metal bar. As the trigger is pulled, the orange spot moves toward the shooter. It is distracting at first, but a bit of discipline eliminates the problem. However, the shooter can watch the progress of the trigger pull by watching the orang dot move. Interesting.

Sights are the standard three white dots. They work, but I may add a brighter color to the front sight. Hard to pick up the white dot in low light conditions. May just have to research night sights for it.

Over all, the new Gen 2 is a good weapon. I like the size, the feel, the fit to my hand. Still, Il prefer the old one.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hey Bapak2ja, I had a surprise on my doorstep the other day. I had ordered magazines from Taurus for my PT38s' as Taurus' website had listed them as available. Well, the other day I received them - 15 months after I ordered them. Maybe we were waiting on the same shipment from Brazil, lol. They had never charged my credit card and eventually I had gotten a couple off ebay and had forgotten about them. Have to give them (minor) props for follow-through (I guess). Happy shooting!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    The trigger is long pull with a very long reset. It is not much different from the Gen 1. The length of pull is about the same—probably an inch of take-up room. The break point is soft. It can be difficult to know when I have taken up the slack. I experience a three premature firings with it. I was taking up the slack as I settled in on my target, but I did not expect the discharge. It fired before I intended. I don't mid the long slack take-up, but I would appreciate a great demarcation at the break point. So, I have to learn to manage that trigger.

I don't remember hearing anything at any training class about "taking up the slack" while getting sights on target, but maybe I missed it. Did you learn that in one of your classes? Or is it just a bad habit you developed all on your own? ;-)

Remember, dad, if you follow your training, then you shouldn't be having any problems with the trigger break point catching you by surprise! (Although most training does teach that it should be a surprise to you when the weapon fires.) Smooth trigger motion, not bringing it back halfway and balancing it there while you realign your sights. It's your EDC piece. Train like you fight. Don't plan on having enough time to hold the trigger at the halfway point while you get your sights on the assailant.

Top Bottom