• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I was born here but my Dad is from Louisiana/Texas. Being around family growing up has given me a slight "twang" I feel. I don't like to hear myself talk. I think we might add "T" to words.:laugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was born here but my Dad is from Louisiana/Texas. Being around family growing up has given me a slight "twang" I feel. I don't like to hear myself talk. I think we might add "T" to words.:laugh:
    I was born and raised here, but growing up, our next door neighbors were from the hills of Tennessee. I'm talking rendering lard in their back yard in a big cast iron kettle over a fire (after butchering hogs in their basement), making lye soap, etc.. It was like living next to the Beverly Hillbillies. :): But I did pick up a little bit of a southern twang from them.

I've worked with people from South Carolina and Georgia in both my current and previous job, and I found myself slipping into that twang when I'd talk to them on the phone or in person.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I was born and raised here, but growing up, our next door neighbors were from the hills of Tennessee. I'm talking rendering lard in their back yard in a big cast iron kettle over a fire (after butchering hogs in their basement), making lye soap, etc.. It was like living next to the Beverly Hillbillies. :): But I did pick up a little bit of a southern twang from them.

I've worked with people from South Carolina and Georgia in both my current and previous job, and I found myself slipping into that twang when I'd talk to them on the phone or in person.
    Dis veri truft.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kids today have new words for everything. They use emojis to talk in text. Its only a matter of time before we write in hieroglyphics. One day when we are long gone archeologists will think America was prosperous with egg plants and peaches.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Even educated people cant speak fluent, proper english words. Just watch Dr. Caine's covid updates. In the last update, she added a letter into the middle of a word. I had to do a doubletake. It was almost like she said "edumicated". That kind of thing. I think she added a T where it didnt exist.

I dont recall the exact word, and I'm not about to subject myself to that press briefing to tell you exactly what it was. Maybe somebody else here caught it.

Black, white, red, brown... Im seeing everyone start to do it.
    Oh let`s please be clear; for me at least, I`ve not intended to attach this to any particular creed or color of people, I`ve simply said "uneducated". Uneducated comes in ALL forms, colors, creeds and otherwise.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've been noticing more and more that adults are dropping the "t" in the middle of the word. The first couple of times I heard it, I passed it off as a speech impediment, but I've been hearing it more and more by different people, mostly on tv. The latest is when watching the local weather, the meteorologist said, "this is impor'unt". A few times I've heard button, pronounced as "bu'un". Can someone tell me what is going on? Is this being taught in school? Are these people from other worlds?
    Thank you. I'm not the only one.

When I mention this exact issue, people look at me like a crotchety old man...which I am, but still.

As a guy who spent his elementary years in speech therapy and makes his living talking...such things bother me.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I've been noticing more and more that adults are dropping the "t" in the middle of the word. The first couple of times I heard it, I passed it off as a speech impediment, but I've been hearing it more and more by different people, mostly on tv. The latest is when watching the local weather, the meteorologist said, "this is impor'unt". A few times I've heard button, pronounced as "bu'un". Can someone tell me what is going on? Is this being taught in school? Are these people from other worlds?
    I blame the ready availability of Britbox and AcornTV. That seems to be a country British/cockney pronunciation, from watching multiple British murder mystery shows with my wife...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I blame the ready availability of Britbox and AcornTV. That seems to be a country British/cockney pronunciation, from watching multiple British murder mystery shows with my wife...
    Coincidental. If that were the case they'd be adding Rs to words that end in A as well. So instead of amerikuh its ameriker, etc.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I'll go with my free flowing thoughts.....

**** the Brits.

Americans kicked their ***es.
    Americans saved their ***es.

Screw the "queen's english".

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Had trouble learning to read when in Kindergarten, Catholic school with old school Nuns. My mom made me read to her while she did housework, the nuns made me spell/write correctly.

All my life I have had 3 books going at once, still do. Love old books of adventure written 100+ years ago. The writing style requires a good vocabulary and the references they use requires previous reading experience. Now these are missing from good literature. If it isn't immediate and obvious it doesn't sell I assume.

Many times during my working career people didn't get a reference I used.
    Had a boss that was well read and when we were talking many others were confused about what we were referring to.

Sad that this isn't a priority now. It is still taught in schools, just not a priority. When I last substitute taught in a high school they were reading Romeo and Juliet. I had to keep explaining words and their meaning in context. Even the word "genitalia". :dunno:

Don

Top Bottom