• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It is definitely easy to slip right back into it.

Personally I find the people I believe to be the most intelligent overall (and that word can mean many things... Not just book smart) are the ones who understand context well, and when certain language is appropriate. They are the ones who can cuss like a sailor in certain social contexts and yet represent themselves appropriately in other situations.

There is some **** ******* truth in that **** statement.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I’m clear on what the OP meant; which was a general observation. It’s those who followed up, that were the ones doing what you accused me of. I simply addressed that issue. Perhaps you didn’t notice the mentioning of “racist,” “Ebonics,” nor “POCs” in the comments before mine.
    My comment regarding "cultural appropriation" was half tongue in cheek, but surely you have seen what was once urban slang (and largely influenced by black urban culture) becoming more widely used among suburban youth (largely white, but certainly not 100% so). That's why my follow up to your comment pointed out hip-hop culture. I made no judgement one way or another. It is what it is.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My comment regarding "cultural appropriation" was half tongue in cheek, but surely you have seen what was once urban slang (and largely influenced by black urban culture) becoming more widely used among suburban youth (largely white, but certainly not 100% so). That's why my follow up to your comment pointed out hip-hop culture. I made no judgement one way or another. It is what it is.
    There is a negligible difference between the influences of Hip-Hop and Country music. Both exhibit the traits you mention, concerning creative use of language... and both originate from the same places. Folk/Blues. You can’t logically point to one, and say “they did it,” while omitting other, and expect to be taken seriously.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is a negligible difference between the influences of Hip-Hop and Country music. Both exhibit the traits you mention, concerning creative use of language... and both originate from the same places. Folk/Blues. You can’t logically point to one, and say “they did it,” while omitting other, and expect to be taken seriously.
    Well, as an extreme example, I don't think you can point to Country music and say that it's lead to white kids calling each other the "n" word (with an "a", not a hard "r"). That one always struck me as odd but I'm guessing they think it makes them sound cool or something since they hear it in the music they're listening to. Not a fan of country (or hip-hop) myself, so I don't have a good counter-example from country music creating a similar vernacular, but maybe there is?

And to be fair, I don't think it's all due to musical influence, but maybe just as much from social media and "media influencers" that are all the rage these days.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    This was noticed and accurately predicted in 1987, I recommend this book.

The Closing of the American Mind​

Book by Allan Bloom

As Chancellor of Cornell, he noted that the number one group against affirmative action students was the Black students that had already EARNED their way into higher learning. They recognized that the minute a slacker gets acceptance via government race mandate, all their hard work was made worthless.
    I think back to a "60 Minutes" piece I saw many years ago. This big group of all black athletes were whining and moaning about how the ncaa failed them. They had expected to make it in the nba, nfl, etc., but did not, and so now, with either a degree that they couldn`t actually perform, or with no degree, whichever each individual case was, they whined about how the ncaa never made them work, how they had "Tudors" that were actually taking tests for them and turning in homework. Never mind their being complicit in it all. It`s mind boggling to hear some who DID make it in the nfl or nba try to speak. I often wonder if they`re even speaking English.

Education is a wonderful thing, it can equip a person with wisdom and the necessary tools to navigate the circumstances of life and allow them to succeed, whatever their definition of being successful is. All one has to do is apply oneself, but some choose to go other routes, then complain about how racist everything is.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I totally agree! Just look at all the “aspiring” country artists who are gunned down in their prime, just look at all the music venues that have shootings EVERY SINGLE TIME they host a country music show, just look at the rap sheets of pretty much every country artist, just look at the culture that is created from these crazy young people listening to country music, the murders, the drug dealing/use, JUST LOOK!
    Yes! Negligible differences, very negligible.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well, as an extreme example, I don't think you can point to Country music and say that it's lead to white kids calling each other the "n" word (with an "a", not a hard "r"). That one always struck me as odd but I'm guessing they think it makes them sound cool or something since they hear it in the music they're listening to. Not a fan of country (or hip-hop) myself, so I don't have a good counter-example from country music creating a similar vernacular, but maybe there is?

And to be fair, I don't think it's all due to musical influence, but maybe just as much from social media and "media influencers" that are all the rage these days.

Next time I am in a "record store", I am going to have to see if I can run a tally of country music albums with "language warnings" on them and compare to the same for hip-hop albums.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    '"Ax” for “ask” isn’t wrong, it’s just different'

Today's blanket response to most any criticism.
    Right.."your" truth/"my" truth, etc., etc.,...Never mind proper English. It`s a wonder teachers ever got away with giving failing grades when students cannot read or write properly. After all, ignorance is their "truth"...

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Right.."your" truth/"my" truth, etc., etc.,...Never mind proper English. It`s a wonder teachers ever got away with giving failing grades when students cannot read or write properly. After all, ignorance is their "truth"...
    I've heard people in rural England and Ireland say "Aks". It is proper English , maybe not your "proper" English.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I totally agree! Just look at all the “aspiring” country artists who are gunned down in their prime, just look at all the music venues that have shootings EVERY SINGLE TIME they host a country music show, just look at the rap sheets of pretty much every country artist, just look at the culture that is created from these crazy young people listening to country music, the murders, the drug dealing/use, JUST LOOK!
    Yes! Negligible differences, very negligible.
    Wait, You think music is the cause of violence? My contention was about language. The music I’m speaking of involves language. Is it not reasonable for people to repeat things they’ve heard? But now you’re saying that music is the reason for violence?
    Chicken or egg?
    I had no idea that the violence that occurs in the inner city started after the creation of rap.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Next time I am in a "record store", I am going to have to see if I can run a tally of country music albums with "language warnings" on them and compare to the same for hip-hop albums.
    Interesting, is your contention that words found on those albums, that warrant, a “language warning,” aren’t words people who listen to county use? IATYO.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I've heard people in rural England and Ireland say "Aks". It is proper English , maybe not your "proper" English.
    LOL. Ok, American English then. look, there are proper ways to speak, and write. They`re taught in school for that reason. So called "diversity" is not only watering down the culture, but it`s dumbing down the country. We have standards and expectations, get over it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have no ******* idea what "IATYO" stands for.
    I think it's something from country music. Like a cowboy thing... "Yippee IATYO, get along, little doggies, it's your misfortune and none of my own. Yippee IATYO, get along, little doggies, you know that Wyoming will be your new home."

;)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Wait, You think music is the cause of violence? My contention was about language. The music I’m speaking of involves language. Is it not reasonable for people to repeat things they’ve heard? But now you’re saying that music is the reason for violence?
    Chicken or egg?
    I had no idea that the violence that occurs in the inner city started after the creation of rap.
    Lol. Twist things around much? It’s ridiculously obvious what I was saying.

Top Bottom