• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've been researching the ammo prices and Freedom Munitions load is like 88¢ /rd. By no means cheap but I know that going in.

Could be worse. Could be shooting $5s with .338 Lapua and .50BMG.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I had always wanted one and finally bought one last summer. It is rather silly. But I'm beyond the point of having to justify why I own things. My biggest two pieces of advice would be learn to reload if you don't already and don't sacrifice necessities to buy a 50 cal desert eagle. If you're paying all your bills without trouble go for it.
    I should add that I invited a buddy over to shoot it and when his 18-year-old, freshly graduated from high school, son found out you couldn't peel him off the couch faster. It is an iconic gun and people recognize that.
    49d61b1418ff598c9c40ff845bba7d12.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Well, tv1217. I'll put on my asbestos underwear and be a Debbie Downer.

I've wanted one in 44 mag for years. I've shot both the 44 and the 50. I hope you have fondled one first. The grip is very large. Not that my hands are small, feminine or child-like, the grip is just darned big.

The trigger is meh at best. It is an easy gun to limp-wrist and get misfeeds.

I have never seen anyone shoot one exceedingly well. I have seen several of them passed around at the range. They are enjoyed and drooled over by many and I shoot one whenever I get the chance.

Cost vs enjoyment is, of course, up to you.

Sometimes I am too practical for my own good/fun. I would never talk you out of something you want, but I hope to help you consider more than just the cool factor.

I haven't been able to take that step to ownership.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Life is not about stuff. The only things that matter in life are relationships and experience. Stuff comes is useful only when it enables either a relationship or delivers an experience.

The DE will do both. The only thing better than owning a DE is having a friend that owns one. Cost is not really a factor as I don’t see someone putting 100 rounds a week down range with a Desert Eagle. Even though it won’t be shot often, it will make you smile when you do and you’ll gather new friends as you push it into the hands of the folks that come over to see what is making all of that noise.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Bsubtown:
    Yeah I hear you, sometimes "because it's fun" is reason enough. I used to reload when I had a .44 Super Redhawk, I have been meaning to get back into it since I got into 10mm I just need to re-buy everything. The only thing I've really put off is moving into a bigger place but it's just me and my dog here, it's not what I'd call a necessity.

Karl:
    Gander or Cabela's had a 44 model in the gold finish in the case once. The employee had it out because some, let's say...Methican American looking individuals...wanted to look at it. They walked off after they got their fondles in and I just had to stop the employee from putting it away right away. Fondled it a bit myself and talked with the guy a bit about the ridiculous finish and using it as a club/throwing weapon if you run out of ammo. The usual stuff. I'm not rocking Hickock45 mitts but it wasn't what I would call uncomfortable or unmanageable. I'm not TOO concerned about the trigger. It can't be worse than the Mosin Nagant carbine I own. :): I used to fire some HOT loads in my Super Redhawk even one handed on occasion and obviously can't limp wrist a revolver but the muzzle never rose more than maybe 45° so I think I'll be good there (this one has a brake also)
    If I ever even consider a practical use like hunting or bear defense, it will only be AFTER I've discovered how well I can shoot it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That platform yet eludes me. I don't even know if I've ever fondled one. I know for sure I've never shot one.

But I want to.

Since you used to reload ... A simple single-stage press would almost be all that's needed for the .50 AE. Not like you'll be burning through 100s of rounds at a time, right?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    It sounds like you have your mind made up. Go for it if you have the finances and can do it responsibly!

Sometimes, I believe, there should be at least one detractor in the crowd. If nothing else, to give pause to impulsiveness.

I cannot claim to never having bought something just for fun or just because I wanted it.

:D

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    That platform yet eludes me. I don't even know if I've ever fondled one. I know for sure I've never shot one.

But I want to.

Since you used to reload ... A simple single-stage press would almost be all that's needed for the .50 AE. Not like you'll be burning through 100s of rounds at a time, right?

Yeah I'll probably go with the Rock Chucker kit. I had the Hornady LNL Progressive last time around and I remember not being totally happy with it. I do seem to recall the priming being kinda finicky? I'd like to do 10mm and 300 Blk eventually too but small batches of perhaps 50 a session

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    X frame S&W > Desert Eagle.
    The DE is awkward to hold, awkward to manipulate, awkward to shoot, and recoil awkwardly. The X frame doesn't handle as well as a K frame, but it's not bad. You get more caliber bragging rights, if you go 460 you can still shoot more reasonable factory ammo, it's less ugly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What is this tax return thing you speak of? Now I has the sads...

Its this foolish thing where people enjoy loaning the gov't their money for a year with zero interest in return.

I kid. My mom does it because it just happens to amount to roughly her property tax bill, which is due shortly after tax time. For her, its a convenient way to put that cash aside, but its not enough to gain any appreciable interest by putting it in the bank while she waits for the bill to come due.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    "At least"

And I dunno about those X Frames being less ugly. The DE is actually kinda cool looking as long as you stay away from the goofy finishes like gold and zebra stripes(or gold+zebra stripes)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll say this about the DE having owned and sold a few of them.

I bought one of the first 357s when they came out in the very early 80s. Kent Lomont and I had fun loading 357 magnum to the moon and that pistol ate everything we fed it without a stoppage. I can't say that about the 44s I later owned and then sold and I've never owned a 50. I still get that old .357 DE out and shoot some Herculese Blue Dot loads so hot you had to fill the case, tamp the powder with a pencil eraser and then top it off before compressing it further with the bullet. It drove Hornady FMJ bullets through a piece of 3/8 hot rolled steel like a drill.

Top Bottom