• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    My girl friend calls me and tells me this littlle story. I'm in Plainfield taking care of my sick Dad.

She is arriving home from babysitting and there was a guy up in the yard by the back porch. He is outside the fence. She pulls her car to the curb to park in the street and the guy approaches the passenger side of the car. She cracked down the window and told him she lives there and he needs to go. He does, he walks east and comes to a cross street and heads north then turns around and goes south.

This when she calls me and gives me a brief rundown. I told her to keep the car in drive and if he comes back to get out of there. I gave her IMPD nonemergency number and told her to give the best description she can and I'm on my way.

They stayed on the line with here till she was safely in the house and sent some one out. She seen police car come by a few minutes later.:yesway:

I get to the Hill about 20 minutes later. At Bradbury and McClure 4 IMPD cars have a car pulled over. They have the driver out and he looks pretty similar to the description of the guy in the yard. It looked like there was two cops dealing with a passenger, but I could not see into the car. I wonder if the passenger matched her description completely.

I'm curious WTF that guy was doing by my back porch at 1in the morning. I am also wondering if the stop about a half mile away had anything to do with her call.

She was a little freaked out about the shadeyness. She was glad that she had access to my M&P 45 once she was in the house. She was pleased with the quick response of the police and with me for coming to talk to her.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That sounds very disturbing and I'm glad she got through it alright. Does she have much experience with your M&P?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Regardless of what the person's specific intent was, you can guarantee that at 1am it was not good.

This may be a good motivator for your girlfriend to start carrying on her person. For sake of argument, let's say she got home 5 minutes later and inadvertently surprised a burglar. Would the M&P be in a place she could get at it within a second or two? Even worse, what if the intruder had already gained access to it?

When my wife was in her teens and living in a pretty remote place, she and her mother were on the wrong end of an attempted home invasion. She described her mother in the heat of an adrenaline dump trying unsuccessfully to load a shotgun. The perp was thwarted by a sheriff's deputy who lived a few hundred yards away, who was going into his house after finishing a shift. He heard the commotion of the guy trying to break in and came to their rescue.

This was a learning experience for my wife and her mother. The best that can come of these situations is a lesson learned. Glad everything is ok.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Glad to hear it worked out ok. Gave me a thought too. Maybe I should put the local police non-emergency number in my favorites in my phone. I would be more likely to use it if it's easy rather than letting a suspicious happening pass if I have to look it up?
    The cops responded in force also. Good for them in the current environment.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Regardless of what the person's specific intent was, you can guarantee that at 1am it was not good.

This may be a good motivator for your girlfriend to start carrying on her person. For sake of argument, let's say she got home 5 minutes later and inadvertently surprised a burglar. Would the M&P be in a place she could get at it within a second or two? Even worse, what if the intruder had already gained access to it?

When my wife was in her teens and living in a pretty remote place, she and her mother were on the wrong end of an attempted home invasion. She described her mother in the heat of an adrenaline dump trying unsuccessfully to load a shotgun. The perp was thwarted by a sheriff's deputy who lived a few hundred yards away, who was going into his house after finishing a shift. He heard the commotion of the guy trying to break in and came to their rescue.

This was a learning experience for my wife and her mother. The best that can come of these situations is a lesson learned. Glad everything is ok.
    This. All of this.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    That sounds very disturbing and I'm glad she got through it alright. Does she have much experience with your M&P?

She ran three magazine's through it and did very well. No problems with racking the slide or recoil. She is a good shot with a pistol and she said the M&P was he favorite to shoot. The gun is new to me and has not gotten much range time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Now you have an excuse to get her shooting regularly.

Yes. Muscle memory will take over in an adrenalin dump if you have enough drills and time with the gun.
    I have ran several late night bump in the night drills after actually having an issue and stumbling around like an old fat guy.

Wait, uh, I am an old fat guy.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Glad to hear it worked out ok. Gave me a thought too. Maybe I should put the local police non-emergency number in my favorites in my phone. I would be more likely to use it if it's easy rather than letting a suspicious happening pass if I have to look it up?
    The cops responded in force also. Good for them in the current environment.

I don't recall where I found the nonemergency number but is defiantly a good thing to have. I have used it before to report gunfire and had no other useful information other than a basic area of where I thought it came from.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I think this might of been the tipping point for her to get her LTCH. She also said she is going to step her game up onto paying more attention of what is going on around her. She didn't have her head in the sand before, she has transitioned well from a country girl to life in the city.

I told her even if she had been carrying in this situation, the skinny pedal was by far her best defence. She gave me the look and said I know.

It is looking like the M&P is not going to be a carry option for me as it might be in a holster were it is needed more. Once she gets her LTCH.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think this might of been the tipping point for her to get her LTCH. She also said she is going to step her game up onto paying more attention of what is going on around her. She didn't have her head in the sand before, she has transitioned well from a country girl to life in the city.

I told her even if she had been carrying in this situation, the skinny pedal was by far her best defence. She gave me the look and said I know.

It is looking like the M&P is not going to be a carry option for me as it might be in a holster were it is needed more. Once she gets her LTCH.

Using these situations for the betterment is what everyone needs to do.
    Do not wait until it happens to you as the ending may not be a positive one.
    In our currant drug culture people are capable of so many horrible things.
    Be aware.....................always.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Read this to the wife. She passed the test by saying "I wouldn't have stopped to talk to the dude in the first place!"

Glad all is ok RoG.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    My arm chair quarterbacking says that the first mistake she made, was not leaving immediately and calling 911.

I would not have let the guy get close enough to the car to talk to him through the window.
    Bet she didn't have her car doors locked either.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

My mother-in-law from my ex wife, and her husband, worked for a large pharma and in the 1990s was in Columbia on company business when they were both kidnapped. The released him after three days but held on to her. After a few days she managed to escape and was tracked down by a man on horseback who pointed a rifle at her. She got the rifle away from him but did not know how to use it. After two weeks she was ransomed unharmed. When they both got back to the states one of the first things they did was get extensive training in firearms of all sorts and took up shooting as a hobby.

Top Bottom