• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    All the .22 rifle love made me miss having one. Gander Mountain has the Marlin 795 22lr (blued with synthetic stock) on sale ($99 after $25 mail-in rebate). Reviews were all pretty good on its accuracy and reliability. I picked one up. I look forward to plinking with it and testing it against my High Standard 22 pistol.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is just a suggestion but you might try reading "the ultimate sniper". It was enlightening to me. I grew up in Indiana with a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive but this was written by people that live and breath weapons. I consider it a sort of bible. Praise Maj. John L. Plaster.:patriot:

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    For a true survival rifle I would look at a .22 you can carry thousands of rounds apposed to a few hundred of heavy centerfire. Check out zombiehunter.org for great survival tips, reviews, and etc.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I would have to go with a GSG5 .22lr, and get ya few 100rd drums, and get few k rds of ammo.

You need an accurate .22, not a plastic toy that's fun to shoot. CZ American bolt gun or Ruger 10/22 are far more accurate and reliable.

100 round drums are crap. They jam and are too heavy to do anything other than plink with. Can't hunt with them, and lord help you if you tried to maneuver with a couple full drums. Quality shot placement overrides massive amounts of lead thrown downrange every time.

I'm with you on the quantity of ammo to keep in reserve.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You need an accurate .22, not a plastic toy that's fun to shoot. CZ American bolt gun or Ruger 10/22 are far more accurate and reliable.

100 round drums are crap. They jam and are too heavy to do anything other than plink with. Can't hunt with them, and lord help you if you tried to maneuver with a couple full drums. Quality shot placement overrides massive amounts of lead thrown downrange every time.

I'm with you on the quantity of ammo to keep in reserve.

I have no problems shooting out to 50yrds with my fake plastic toy GSG5

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I have no problems shooting out to 50yrds with my fake plastic toy GSG5

When you're talking about using a .22 for SHTF, you're not talking about limiting yourself to a 50 yard shot. 50 yards is plinking. I have no problem shooting my GSG out to 50, even 100 yards. That's it. A buddy is shooting his CZ 452 to 300+. On a great day I can stretch my 10/22 to 350+ with regularity. 200 yards is doable all day long.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Semper Fi - There it is. Accuracy is paramount when we are talking light, small bullets. I find the GSG and AK .22s useful as cheap trainers and for fun. When I want to SHOOT a .22 it is my Chief AJ -tuned 10/22, Remington Speedmaster or Anschutz HB bolt gun. I only find accurate guns interesting anymore.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would think if SHTF happend you would be deffending against hoards not just a single target at distance. But I see your point, .22 is light enough to have both,lol. I may be wrong, just a thought

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I would think if SHTF happend you would be deffending against hoards not just a single target at distance. But I see your point, .22 is light enough to have both,lol. I may be wrong, just a thought

The most important element in SHTF is stealth. Firing a gun gives away your position. That can get you dead. Hitting and dropping your target with one shot lowers the chance you'll be discovered. That requires accuracy, expertise, and discipline.

Ponder this for a while: It's most likely the shot that's never fired that will save your life if someone is looking to do you harm.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The most important element in SHTF is stealth. Firing a gun gives away your position. That can get you dead. Hitting and dropping your target with one shot lowers the chance you'll be discovered. That requires accuracy, expertise, and discipline.

Ponder this for a while: It's most likely the shot that's never fired that will save your life if someone is looking to do you harm.[/quote]

Maybe a quality compund bow, would be a good choice as well.

But yes good piont. Honestly there would probably be no perfect wepon to have for every senerio, just have to the best you can get, that you know how to use

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    How many wanna be deer hunters have missed or worse just wounded a deer with a compound bow? I know more than I want to admit. I never used my bow to hunt because I wouldn't practice enough with it to be good.

Whatever you use... if you can't hit the target, you take the chance on getting hit yourself.

Oh and after re-reading this thread I have to figure out how to get iron sights on the new threaded barrel I just got for my 10/22.

Top Bottom