• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motoNick24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Memphis
    I've only been CC'ing since the 1500 gun show and want to first say that INGO is a fantastic resource for info from others who exercise their gun rights. I've already learned a ton and am eager to continue to learn more from everyone here!

I got invited to be in the live audience of the Costas Tonight: Live from the Super Bowl show last night at the Indianapolis Repertory Theater. I looked through the theatre's website before I attended to see if there was any mention of prohibiting weapons and saw nothing. I parked about 1 mile away, so I knew there was no chance of me walking back to my vehicle at 11p in downtown Indy on superbowl weekend w/out my gun.

When we got to the door, they (I assume NBC's security detail) were going through purses and wanding everyone. Since I'm new to carrying, I didn't know what to expect when the wand was set-off by my ankle-holstered gun. I was certain that I would calmly start with, "I have a license to carry...." instead of, "I have a gun!". But other than that, I didn't really know what type of reaction to expect. I suppose was to ask to speak with the head of security and explain why there was no chance I was coming down here WITHOUT my gun and see if there were exceptions to be made since it was not normally an off-limits venue for concealed weapons.

Anyway, security ended up being a joke and the wand stopped at my knee. The security guard just told me to enjoy the show as I he let me in unknowingly with a handgun.

How would you have handled the situation if you were in a long line and an unarmed security guard wands you spots your CC'd weapon? Obviously, if this were a courthouse or school or something, I would never have carried in the first place. However, this was an unexpected security checkpoint and I'm curious how this would've been handled by some of you seasoned CC-ers.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    They would've refused me entry, I would have left and done something else. They have no legal basis to detain you, especially if you present a valid LTCH. They can certainly deny you entry, though.
    How would I have handled it? I know event staff well enough to know that they won't make exceptions to their dumb rules, so appealing to the head of security would be pointless.
    Unless I was performing that evening, or was part of the production, I'd just have to bite it, and either return my weapon to my vehicle, or find something else to do.
    If I WAS performing or part of the production, my chances of being wanded or submitted to a security check are practically nil.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've passed through several "security" checks where I was prepared to be turned away. My wife knows my stance on this, and we are prepared to go with Plan B, and do somethings else with our time.

This makes pre-purchasing tickets a hassle. Now I need to research their policies and likely security before I buy.

I've never had an issue, though. There are very few events we enjoy that have "security", and that "security" is more of a feel-good measure than anything. Usually searched bags (which annoys the snot out of my wife), but that's it.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Good info and food for thought. I wonder if the security would of stopped or searched you if the wand would of went off at your hip, where most people carry? Was security just ignorant of the idea of an ankle holster or just apathetic? Makes me rethink how I might carry at different venues.

motoNick24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Memphis
    That's a good point. I chose an ankle holster for comfort and ease of concealment while understanding the drawback of restricted/slow access to it. I read a post on here discussing ankle holsters as a great place for a BUG, however this was my primary at the time. I guess you still risk being denied access from event staff if caught, but carrying a weapon somewhere other than the normal hip location may be easier to gain access from a less-than-thorough security check...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    They have no legal basis to detain you, especially if you present a valid LTCH.

With or without, they have no authority to demand one. They might require one for entrance but nothing can stop them you from being allowed to leave whenever you like.

Ankle carry IMO is for a BUG only, the time to deploy one is too great.

Anyway, I prefer AIWB for events like this... or pocket carry, usually both.

I've been thru many wandings with a BUG in my front pocket and/or a fulsize XD9 AIWB. I have the same response "Keys and phone" as I pat my pockets.

Sure I have keys on me and a phone, if they want to infer that is what I'm patting, so be it.

I actually told one guy once "Yeah, I have two guns on me as I patted my waist line and laughed" He laughed and waved me past.

Attitude and demeanor can go a long way.

Top Bottom