• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I have never purchased a suppressor but am really thinking about getting one for my G19 and/or AR. I really like the idea of shooting without the worry of hearing loss. After years on active duty my suppressor experience is limited. I know I would need a new barrel for my G19 and wondering about wether or not I would need a whole new barrel or just something like a screw on threaded flash suppressor to put on my AR.

1.) What kind of legal hoops do I need to jump through to legally own this (these) item(s)?

2.) What are some recommendations in the suppressor area. What to buy, where to look and how much are these going for?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Beech Grove Firearms

AAC Guns in Mooresville

Wanamaker Guns in Wanamaker

All are dealers of NFA items and all of 'em are good folks to do business with.

-J-

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Beech Grove Firearms

AAC Guns in Mooresville

Wanamaker Guns in Wanamaker

All are dealers of NFA items and all of 'em are good folks to do business with.

-J-

As a side note, this AAC Guns is not affiliated with the ******** at Advanced Armament Company who make silencers. :draw:

Last edited by a moderator:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Nope, not really much else to it. Maybe sights if you want but they aren't needed. If you have stock sights I'd get raised night sights.

If you want to know an actual $$$ amount, it depends on the glock and suppressor.

LWD makes nice extended threaded barrels for $99

Glocks $500 or so new

$600 for a can. Maybe a little more.

My 92fs was 450, can was 450, threading was 30.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    SWR Trident 9 suppressor=$700+sales tax (This is just a rough estimate.)
    NFA blood money/tax =$200
    Lone wolf threaded barrel=$120
    IMPD Firearms desk charges $5 per finger print card so there is another $10.

I would give an overall estimate of about $1100 and you should be shootin' quiet!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    what kind of manufacturing is required that puts the 'can' at $500+?
    That is pricier than I would have liked.

Versatility+materials+customer service+quality+db reduction=$700 or more.

That being said, there are cheaper suppressors, but why go cheap on an item you will more than likely have for the rest of your life.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yeah, if you want to Form1 one and are good at machining and don't know much about what works, it will be cheap.

The background, education, craftsmanship, research, etc. all cost money. Think of it as you are funding them now for the ideas they will come out with later. Or, paying off their business loans it took them to make the payroll for the scientists who came up with their last design that you bought.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like they are complicated.

Yeah, I have had my share of growing up around metal lathes, mills, making parts from scratch. Have an engineering degree. Had mechanical engineering classes, CNC programming, manufacturing jobs (including molds, casting, de-gate, finish grinding and turning), manufacturing management (overseeing world's largest plant in one type of industry's quality control staff), and such.

Too bad all the economic factors and regulations are not there to reduce the per unit cost.

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Sounds like they are complicated.

How a suppressor works itself is not complicated. It is a muffler for your gun.

The complicated part is choosing the type of baffles (K, M, or what every you would come up with), type of blast baffle, tube length, materials,proper bore diameter and trial and error.

Top Bottom