• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yea,but for instance,if they had followed BTW, do you think that things would be any different.That would have been 5 generations of people who could have each generation raised their children higher than they themselves had achieved.Voting right were coming one way or another in my opinion.I just think that BTW is not praised as highly as he should be. He came from down and the only direction he could go was up.

Yeah, 60+ years later.
    So you're one of those "don't demand liberty/equality, let someone give it to you when they're good and ready" guys? I soundly reject the notion. It is counter to everything I believe, and I am not in nearly as dire a strait as blacks during the late 19th, and early 20th centuries.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I understand.I come with Irish heritage.We were at that time held down also. He pushed hard work,education,the things that all immigrant cultures are pushing to this day.No I'm not one of those guys. But somewhere along the way,the education part lost the top priority.Maybe a combination of both their ideas would have been a better path to take.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I understand.I come with Irish heritage.We were at that time held down also. He pushed hard work,education,the things that all immigrant cultures are pushing to this day.No I'm not one of those guys. But somewhere along the way,the education part lost the top priority. Maybe a combination of both their ideas would have been a better path to take.

Boom! Many make the mistake that Washington, because of Tuskegee, was some great proponent of creating a class of black intellectuals. He was not. Tuskegee, unlike today, wasn't an academic school, it was an industrial/agricultural one; designed to keep blacks "down on the farm." He was a proponent of acquiring wealth and business, and that wealth would create equality. It was DuBois that was the one that stressed intelligence, reasoning that equality is based on an appreciation of intelligence rather than wealth. So looking closer, at today's society, which school of thought have taken hold, the attainment of wealth, or the attainment of intelligence? I think it's a fair bet you see more bling than books amongst today's youth.
    Interestingly enough, the short period of time that blacks put Washington's beliefs towards the back and actively sought liberty/equality, it was during the civil rights movement. And obviously the names of those leaders are well known.... but even that wasn't enough to mend the damage Washington had done.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What do you know about Booker T. Washington? I guessing not a terrible whole lot. I place a lot of my particular issue faced by my culture, squarely on his shoulders because he is what most gravitated to. WEB Dubois was IMO the much better option.

IOW, DuBois far more closely aligned with the modern Democrat party, while BTW far more closely aligned with the modern Republican party.
    What say you about Frederick Douglass?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Kut,u act as if BTW didn't push for a education at all.Most of the South at that time was uneducated southern people. Out side of the cities,Everybody was a chickenship farmer including my own people.So he wanted his people to know farming,and trades? Is that a bad thing? Everyone at that time in one way or the other worked for the man. Both men wanted the same thing ,but were moving at differant speeds. You blame the bling on BTW? That is plain Ignit.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    IOW, DuBois far more closely aligned with the modern Democrat party, while BTW far more closely aligned with the modern Republican party.
    What say you about Frederick Douglass?

Uh no. Douglass actively sought out the vote and desegregation of schools. Douglass is much more aligned with DuBois than Washington. The modern-day Democratic party fits more into ideals of Washington. Obama, has actually been compared to Washington, on a number of occasions.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut,u act as if BTW didn't push for a education at all.Most of the South at that time was uneducated southern people. Out side of the cities,Everybody was a chickenship farmer including my own people.So he wanted his people to know farming,and trades? Is that a bad thing? Everyone at that time in one way or the other worked for the man. Both men wanted the same thing ,but were moving at differant speeds. You blame the bling on BTW? That is plain Ignit.

You think post-Civil War blacks didn't know farming and trades???? Nothing wrong with educating people. But educating them in a particular way, and at the same time telling them not to demand their rights and bide their time, is absolutely shameful.
    I'm tempted to post a poll.... but honestly, I'm not sure that most are familiar with their writings.
    Delicious irony, that a number of "liberty loving" gun owners side with the guy who opposed vocalizing liberty and equal treatment under law. Lol.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    It was easy to preach it from the North.It was another story to be so vocal for rights in the south. At that time,9 out of 10 lived in the south.!895 was the year of the Atlanta comp.,it also was the year the most blacks were hung. He was doing a lot of things behind the scene in which he go no credit. How is this...he helped to teach improved farming ideas,and other plants,soybeans,sweet potato,peanuts to grow to help the one cash crop farms because of the ravished soil, because cotton had depleated its nutrients. What is wrong to learn a trade,even mabye a new trade,and mabye be the ony game in your town? The man deserves more credit. he and others were behind more than 5000 schools........

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It was easy to preach it from the North.It was another story to be so vocal for rights in the south. At that time,9 out of 10 lived in the south.!895 was the year of the Atlanta comp.,it also was the year the most blacks were hung. He was doing a lot of things behind the scene in which he go no credit. How is this...he helped to teach improved farming ideas,and other plants,soybeans,sweet potato,peanuts to grow to help the one cash crop farms because of the ravished soil, because cotton had depleated its nutrients. What is wrong to learn a trade,even mabye a new trade,and mabye be the ony game in your town? The man deserves more credit. he and others were behind more than 5000 schools........

O'Rly? :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Washington (Booker T), gets the credit he deserves, that of teaching his people not to want and demand immediate liberty, and equality.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Ill let the cat out of the bag, and let you know that I'm from Alabama, been to Tuskegee more times than I can remember, and am better versed than most of the issues surrounding soils, crops, and pests in that area. Hell the local juco's mascot is a boll weevil, and we have a statue of the bug in the center of town.

Unfortunately, and this isn't uncommon, you're attributing the deeds of George Washington Carver to Booker T Washington. Carver taught at Tuskegee for years. Booker T, was somewhat of a secondary educator. It certainly wasn't his prime focus. I am thankful that history has erroneously made him primarily an educator than an "activist," since his activism was that of submission.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I was under the impression that BTW built what became Tuskegee on his farm,and than was president of it for the rest of his life..The secondary educator who founded also WV university.You are right,Carver ran the Ag dept. BTW pushed people to learn the trades and farming.......By the way...what ever became of the Talented Tenth?

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Chip is just a guilty of ignoring the other side. How many Southern White politicians made their bones in complaining about the civil rights, voting, and integration? Today, we would call those men hateful and ignorant, but during their time, they had a great many believers.

You think I would not admit that there are people who profit from racial grievances, regardless of race?

Top Bottom