• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you want 9mm I'd suggest the Glock 17, for 45acp I'd go with a 1911 and if you want one for under $600 get a Rock Island Armory (RIA) 1911. As far as accuracy, many people find they shoot the 1911 better due to it's slim frame size and grip angle. The recoil is also fairly light with the 1911 as the frame is traditionally made from steel and makes the gun pretty heavy but not unbearable. For a lighter gun with more magazine capacity (17 rounds of 9mm) it is hard to beat the Glock 17. I've found that the trigger on the Glock 17 needs work (but with practice is not an issue if you want to save some money), I'd recomend seeing The Glock Doc at the next 1500 if you want a trigger job, he works magic if you ask me. Othere than that the Glock is G2G. You won't go wrong with either to be honest.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Count me as vote #3 for the S&W MP9. It's very accurate out of the box, reliable for me (2000 rounds in 6 months) and I haven't read too many problems with them on the boards. Plus it eats cheap ammo ($10.50 a box at Walmart).

I tried several brands before I bought mine, but I loved how it fit in my hand.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You would be hard pressed to find a more accurate handgun than a nice K-Frame S&W. A Model 15 Combat Masterpiece would be an inexpensive way to go as well as being a cheap gun to feed and very accurate to boot. Add a handful of Safariland Comp 3 speedloaders and you can easily be very competitive.

Encore460Mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Huntingburg
    I would have to agree with a few other post here on the glock 17 or 22,both very reliable weapons,simple and great shooters.. The sig p220 or p229 are also great weapons but over the 600 range but if you can find a good used one they feel great in your hand or mine anyway...

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    im going to throw in another vote for an XDm it comes with a match grade barrel which none of the other guns mentioned do, if you feel that is important, however i feel most guns are more accurate NIB then the operator is...atleast is the case for me

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, I can give sugestions of pistols that I like. However, in the end, you need to find what fits you.

Beretta 92FS: 9mm
    FNP: 9mm
    FNX: 9mm
    CZ 75: 9mm or 97: .45
    S&W M&P: 9mm

Those would be on top of my list. As I said though, you need to find what fits you. There are so many choices. Also, you need to consider caliber. As in cost of ammo and recoil/controlabilty.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Difficult question. My vote is Glock 34 followed by the 17 with trigger work, my XDs are great in 9mm and 45 is almost as accurate to 30ft (haven't done much more than that). I can't/won't comment on the 1911, yet but there is a BIG reason I want one.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    at that price limit the CZ75 or CZ85 would be a good bet, lots of cheap mags and easy to shoot and maintain Hey Colonel Cooper liked it

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I really like my Glock 19 but I kinda wish I'd gone with a Glock 17. The 19 wasn't as accurate as I'd thought it'd be. Or I just need serious practice.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    A lot of good ideas already posted! I have a Beretta 92FS, Glock G22, 1911, they all are great guns! The Beretta and Glock hold a lot more rounds and are lighter in my opinion. I like them all but you need to hold them and see what's comfortable in the end! :yesway:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I'm interested in buying a new handgun, I want something accurate, full size, and fun to shoot. A lot of guys I shoot with have invited me to "friendly" competition shoots where a handful of guys meet up and shoot for fun and usually wager a small amount of money where the winner donates the money to our local range. Most of my handguns are compact and have stiff triggers although I'm somewhat accurate with them I cant compete much past 10 yards.

I'm looking for a semi auto, full size, 9mm, .40, or .45. I would like it to be $600 or less.

Any suggestions????

Can't go wrong with a 1911!

A Rock Island Armory or Springfield are just two that fit well within your targeted price range.

Good luck and have fun!

badge036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    I agree with sylvain the 9mm is much easier on the wallet and the ears lol and a Glock is reliable enough to eat just about anything you put in it.

Top Bottom