• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    have previously owned a 98 outback . tough little car . it had the head gasket problem & i had to foot the $ for the fix. found a nice 2013 model outback locally the price is $13,000 . 95,000 one owner miles. very nice but a bit out of my league at the present .
    questions for subaru owners & those who know.... what year did the head gasket problem go away ? what year did they start using the variable speed tranny & does it cause any problems ? mostly i am looking to get into a 2004-2008 model . a lot of them have mileage 0f 125,00 - 175,000 miles. just how long lived is the 2.5 motor ?
    your knowledge appreciated .

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I can not answer your specific questions. However, I bought a 2013 Outback base model in October, 2012. It just turned over to 67,000. Only thing I have done is recommended oil changes and services with new tires not long ago. Zero repairs or problems.

The things I like/love: decent mileage - lower 30s at 60-65 mph, great cargo space - bigger than my '98 Grand Cherokee, surprisingly good ground clearance and off road performance, overall utility.

the things I hate: minor stuff like doors do not auto lock nor can they be opened from the inside if locked, cost of service - +/-$95 for oil change and rotation but this is every 5-6K, that's about it.

Mine has the CVT transmission and 4 cyl HO engine.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Dunno. I sold a 2003 that had 273,000 on the clock, and still going quite strong. Actually, a better motor than my current EJ.

It had an external oil leak on both rear cylinders, and even so, long as the guy that bought it keeps oil in it, I predict it will trip 300,000 with ease.

Do a lot of research HERE:

Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.... Outback, Legacy, Forester, XV Crosstrek, Hybrid, WRX, STI, Impreza, BRZ, Tribeca

...the guy has worked at a dealer for decades and has provided and compiled about every spec you can get without blueprints.

-Nate

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I haven't read that there's any definitive "no more HG issues" year. The problem certainly peak in the late 90s/early 2000s.

CVTs were available in the mid-2000s but you'll have to check the specific car you're looking at to be sure. I haven't heard of any special trouble with them (unlike GMs attempt with them in some of the Saturn line) but haven't looked into them either (I like to row my own gears)

One bone I have to pick with them is the throttle-by-wire tuning: They program it to open the throttle a lot with very little pedal input to feel like a powerful engine but that means you don't have much left for the other 2/3 of the gas pedal travel. Can be overcome with aftermarket tuners in most models I've heard (but can't personally attest to)

The EJ's no 22RE but ought to run as long as you keep up with the maintenance. Big thing to look at is when the timing belt was done. several variations of the motor are interference. even if it isn't, losing a timing belt isn't a roadside-fix.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    My Wife's Executive Assistant bought a 2013 low mileage Outback 13 months ago. Last Friday the Transmission went South. Its in the Shop right now. She was fortunate to get an extended warranty when she bought it.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I recently drove a rental Impreza. Would have been a late model but I dont know exactly what year. Very nice car.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I recently drove a rental Impreza. Would have been a late model but I dont know exactly what year. Very nice car.

I drove a '16 Imprezza loaner while my Baja was in for the airbag recall. F-that. You'd have to pay me a lot to make that trade long-term. Partially because I'm 6-5, partially because of all the nanny garbage, partially because the overall car. Fit and finish was great, just not the engineering choices. Then again, I can be a bit of a Luddite about cars.

Top Bottom