JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    From the article:
    "Depa is considered behaviorally disabled and requires specially designed instruction and related services as a so-called “exceptional student.”"

Huh. "Exceptional student" used to mean something totally different when I was in school. Now apparently it means "POS thug".
    We couldn't say "retarded" so we [changed] it "special education" but not that's taboo, I guess, so we've redefined "exceptional".
    :rolleyes:

Any one want to guess what's next in the line?

We all know what it means so this game of vocabulary is just plain retarded.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Wow, if that’s what they call an exceptional student nowadays, I guess I was a full blown retard in school!

Maybe I should sue somebody, I was clearly discriminated against for my asshattery…errr, disability.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We couldn't say "retarded" so we traveled it "special education" but not that's taboo, I guess, so we've redefined "exceptional".

When I was in grade school, sometimes we'd have fights between the "regular" kids and the "retardos" (I know - it's unkind, but that's what we called them back in the 60's). Some of them were older, bigger and stronger than us "regular" kids, so it was a serious deal. Back then, Down's Syndrome kids were called "Mongoloids". One of the toughest, meanest kids was a "Mongoloid".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We couldn't say "retarded" so we traveled it "special education" but not that's taboo, I guess, so we've redefined "exceptional".

Spread the word to save the R-word

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    From the NYTimes article: "The troubled teen has a violent past and was arrested three times for simple battery in 2019."

Regardless of his functional abilities what is he doing in a school that is not trained or equipped to handle him?

Don

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    From the NYTimes article: "The troubled teen has a violent past and was arrested three times for simple battery in 2019."

Regardless of his functional abilities what is he doing in a school that is not trained or equipped to handle him?

Don
    They’re legally required to service him until 21(in Indiana at least, other states may have different rules). Special needs students can stay enrolled in public schools until 21 and the school
    Must make accommodations for them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They’re legally required to service him until 21(in Indiana at least, other states may have different rules). Special needs students can stay enrolled in public schools until 21 and the school
    Must make accommodations for them.
    The city didn't pass a ballot measure to fund the "special" school, so they were lumped in with the rest of the kids

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We couldn't say "retarded" so we [changed] it "special education" but not that's taboo, I guess, so we've redefined "exceptional".

Anyone want to guess what's next in the line?
    When I was teaching, I had parents fight to get their kids 'qualified' as special needs, so they could receive the additional help from the school, in many cases, just so they didn't have the extra work at home with their child.
    It used to be a negative 'stigma' to be in special education...now, for some, it's a desired status.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    When I was teaching, I had parents fight to get their kids 'qualified' as special needs, so they could receive the additional help from the school, in many cases, just so they didn't have the extra work at home with their child.
    It used to be a negative 'stigma' to be in special education...now, for some, it's a desired status.
    Just as many people treat having mental illness as a badge of honor.

Top Bottom