• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    When it’s nesting time..spring. Starling trap. Barrel with lid- 3” or 4” pvc pipe and 1 elbow Fill barrel 1/2 full of water Cut hole in lid and mount 1st piece of pipe .. depending on the size of the barrel determines length, elbow and short piece of pipe. Tweak as needed It uses their nesting instincts. Gives them a nice bath and works great. Check daily so you don’t have liquid starling..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When it’s nesting time..spring. Starling trap. Barrel with lid- 3” or 4” pvc pipe and 1 elbow Fill barrel 1/2 full of water Cut hole in lid and mount 1st piece of pipe .. depending on the size of the barrel determines length, elbow and short piece of pipe. Tweak as needed It uses their nesting instincts. Gives them a nice bath and works great. Check daily so you don’t have liquid starling..
    :postpics:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You really need a "T" at the top and a sensitive, well balanced, trap door that closes quickly.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    What is the effective range on the smooth bore 22?
    About 10 yards for the 22lr. The 22 mag smoothbore I would expect about 15 to 20 yards. I have both types and for rodents inside a barn or basement they are quite effective. They bleed out quite quickly due to large amount of holes in them.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    With most pest-animal problems, my first thought is setting up to keep them out, if that's possible. I can constantly be trapping rabbits and groundhogs in my garden - or I can put up a short fence with an electric wire once.

I remember my brother and I baiting starlings and blackbirds into our backyard with breadcrumbs while he and I hid inside a blind made of lawn chairs. We even made our own "decoys" to place out. When they'd come, we softly say "One, two, three, fire!". We shot a good few starlings and blackbirds with our BB guns back then.

But, I've gotten to be a softy in my old age, and I try to use more prevention methods than lethal ones. The exceptions are putting out rat poison in my barns, and trapping dozens of carpenter bees in my homemade bee trap.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Starlings are like flies.. disease transmitters.. they plug up flue pipes chimney’s and nest in places most other birds don’t the more dead the better
    Great targets I load BB’s and feed my 930 shottie all it wants when the gather in the trees. They are smart but that makes it more fun. My granddaughters are helping me and we’re working on their accuracy. They love shooting and it’s fun to watch them improve their skills. They are not normal girls.. stomp mice with their boots.. go check my traps for piney squirrels and chipmunks..

8AE56E19-6971-4FBA-AF2F-4B490757591E.png FE2F8573-F854-4D96-BF64-5BC3A8A001E3.png

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I'd love to have one of these, but they are a little spendy for my taste. My starling issue is usually short lived and taken care of by the Mrod.

I have a collection of traps for SHTF. This looks like it would be a great food gatherer to go along with the others?

FYI - This thread has been a wealth of info!
    Between this trap, hints at construction of another sort of trap and soybeans for shot in shot shells, this is golden stuff.

:ingo:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    About 10 yards for the 22lr. The 22 mag smoothbore I would expect about 15 to 20 yards. I have both types and for rodents inside a barn or basement they are quite effective. They bleed out quite quickly due to large amount of holes in them.
    Okay...I was curious on the smooth bore over the rifled. From what I have read rifled bore is only good for about 10 feet due to the twist put on the shot.

Trying to get ready for this summer.

This is the first time since 1806 when the 13 year and the 17 year cicada hatches overlap and I remember when the red eyed ones came out the skies were full.

Thinking a cooler of beer, lawn chair, and a pile of 22 shot shells in the back yard would be a fun and relaxing day.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Okay...I was curious on the smooth bore over the rifled. From what I have read rifled bore is only good for about 10 feet due to the twist put on the shot.

Trying to get ready for this summer.

This is the first time since 1806 when the 13 year and the 17 year cicada hatches overlap and I remember when the red eyed ones came out the skies were full.

Thinking a cooler of beer, lawn chair, and a pile of 22 shot shells in the back yard would be a fun and relaxing day.
    Me and my father have a blast shooting carpenter bees around his farm. I will look forward to the cicadas for this very reason also.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'd love to have one of these, but they are a little spendy for my taste. My starling issue is usually short lived and taken care of by the Mrod.

I have a collection of traps for SHTF. This looks like it would be a great food gatherer to go along with the others?

FYI - This thread has been a wealth of info!
    Between this trap, hints at construction of another sort of trap and soybeans for shot in shot shells, this is golden stuff.

:ingo:
    small birds are a LOT of work for maybe a single bite of meat.. you can find youtube videos on how to build this out of hardware cloth if you want to spend the time on it..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom