• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Since it got cold starlings have decided to roost in my chicken coop, and crap on everything including my chickens.

1 or 2 at a time with the pellet gun isn’t cutting it. Suggestions?

Thanks.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Ever try a 22lr smoothbore shotgun? They are great for shooting indoors. I have shot many of rodents indoors with it. Its like shooting sand and with enough distance will do little to no damage past the intended target.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Group effort! Some bread on the ground to keep them close and then Bonnie and Clyde them.. then burn them all afterwards. I hate starlings.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Seal any opening they can use to enter. If you can enter the coop after dark and there is room to swing a raquetball racket . . . . well. Grab any that remain on their perch by hand and pull their little heads off. Raquet the fluttering vermin that remain. Build a repeating trap when nesting begins.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Seal any opening they can use to enter. If you can enter the coop after dark and there is room to swing a raquetball racket . . . . well. Grab any that remain on their perch by hand and pull their little heads off. Raquet the fluttering vermin that remain. Build a repeating trap when nesting begins.
    Only thing I could picture reading this.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Wish I had clear shooting lanes around my crabapple tree, that tree is loaded with them. Guess they have it all here, food, shelter, and water from my chicken waterer.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have several old outbuildings that aren't well sealed, but I've never had winter starlings.

In the spring, they take up residence in the maple trees surrounding our deck and porch. It's really amazing how smart those things get after you start shooting. If I'm feeling sporting, I get out Grandpa's 20Ga Wingmaster. If I just want them gone, 12ga 3-1/2 turkey loads to their nests.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    They are very smart and wise up quick. I battled them until I sealed up their entrance.
    One would roost up in a tall poplar and watch for me. They even changed their pattern to flying in at night after I left my sniper station.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    They are very smart and wise up quick. I battled them until I sealed up their entrance.
    One would roost up in a tall poplar and watch for me. They even changed their pattern to flying in at night after I left my sniper station.
    No way I’m sealing up my old 1800’s barn, I’ve never had them before hopefully they move on after the cold snap.

Top Bottom