• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damage CAN happen. Ive seen it firsthand. Maybe it was crap manufacturing or improper design? Dunno.

I left a Mossberg 500 fully loaded for over a decade. (forgot about it) Pulled it out of the safe to clean it, and when I tried to eject the last round, it didnt want to. It didnt eject as much as dribble out into the elevator partially.

After taking a close look, the follower plug wouldnt even return fully to the end of the tube. I repeated the process, and sure enough, not much pressure. I bought another spring, and in the delay in trying to get the tube off without warping the receiver (I never did) the spring slowly restored itself to its full travel and now works fine after sitting empty another couple years.

:dunno:

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The guns I will use for SD at home are locked and loaded.

I have other magazines in storage that are not.

I should probably have a more ready room.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The guns I will use for SD at home are locked and loaded.

I have other magazines in storage that are not.

I should probably have a more ready room.
    In the country if I need more than 6 mags of anything it is no doubt a zombie apocalypse or society has broken done completely, however by the time it reaches my house more mags will be ready.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    only mags that are empty are either range mags or ones still in the package.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    If I am in a tight spot and all I have is an empty that needs loading or a loaded that has been stored loaded for 25 years.......I'll take my chances with the 25 year old loaded mag. The attacker will not wait for you to load your mag.

Be ready at all times. If you are that concerned, buy revolvers (but keep them loaded)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Heard of polymer mags having feed lips spread under pressure over time. Magpul sells magazine caps, & some magpuls come with caps for that reason.
    And here I thought this was going to be just another beat the dead horse thread, but I learned something! I had always wondered why someone would want a dust cap or whatever on there. But properly clipped (yea I said clip) it pushes down enough to take some pressure off the lips.
    Thanks!

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I have had some 1911 mag springs go soft, So I have gotten into the habit of rotating mags, usually every 2 weeks or so. If I leave the house, they are loaded to capacity, but if they are in the house, I just keep 12 in the mag on a 15 round mag. If I can't get the job done with 2 12 rd mags and .357 mag BUG, then I'll have to ask the BG for a time out while I load more :)

Top Bottom